aberdeen-music

legal advice please

ZeromiserY

I don't think it's that ironic really. I'm sure they appreciate the help' date=' but people live in that building. Mostly people who don't really have the option of moving anywhere else.[/quote']

Yeah, I know irony was probably the wrong thing to suggest but I just dont want them to think that Dave and I are just like 'disobediant youths' and that we do actually care about making a difference and that comes out in the music we are trying to create while we are there..but yeah the last thing we want to do is cos them a disturbance, we've got a meeting with the cyrenians on site just before our meeting with EH, so we'l just have to see how it goes discussing it all in person.

And just to clarify, we are not blaming anyone for the reasons we have had the complaints, none of us were aware they were taking place so no one can be soley to blame. Everyone has contributed to the noise emissions equally. What we have been told was that the noise is bad during the evenings (which is pretty much when every band practises) and especially bad on mondays, but we're definately not placing the blame on you guys as you were never aware of this, its not like you knew and went out ure way to be loud, its just the way it is.

There were apparently complaints on the sat night to the police about ppl standing on the road etc. and a bottle was smashed, but either theyve got there days mixed up or that was someone else as the gig was on Fri night.. and as far as we're aware no complaints were made to EH.

Hope that clears a few things up and we can try and work out solutions together instead of pointing the blame.

Thanks to everyone who has offered support and given advice so far, it means a lot!

Cheers

Steve

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah' date=' I know irony was probably the wrong thing to suggest but I just dont want them to think that Dave and I are just like 'disobediant youths' and that we do actually care about making a difference and that comes out in the music we are trying to create while we are there..but yeah the last thing we want to do is cos them a disturbance, we've got a meeting with the cyrenians on site just before our meeting with EH, so we'l just have to see how it goes discussing it all in person.

And just to clarify, we are not blaming anyone for the reasons we have had the complaints, none of us were aware they were taking place so no one can be soley to blame. Everyone has contributed to the noise emissions equally. What we have been told was that the noise is bad during the evenings (which is pretty much when every band practises) and especially bad on mondays, but we're definately not placing the blame on you guys as you were never aware of this, its not like you knew and went out ure way to be loud, its just the way it is.

There were apparently complaints on the sat night to the police about ppl standing on the road etc. and a bottle was smashed, but either theyve got there days mixed up or that was someone else as the gig was on Fri night.. and as far as we're aware no complaints were made to EH.

Hope that clears a few things up and we can try and work out solutions together instead of pointing the blame.

Thanks to everyone who has offered support and given advice so far, it means a lot!

Cheers

Steve[/quote']

well said.

had they come across the road and said, 'aye, turn it doon', we would have.

they could have even thrown a suggestion or to our way about how to stop the noise leakage.

let us know how you get on with the meeting.

you tell em steve-dave.

Yeh i think it was more to do with the fact there has been complaints since it started so they assumed that it was the same owner and decided to take action.

I reckon EH should actually try and pitch suggestions to cut down noise (any fittings that could be done to the room to block out sound leaking out). Seems a way that would make all parties involved happy.

OK, I have never practiced at the lockup before. I have never gigged at the lockup before. I've never been to a gig there before. I've never heard anyone practice there before.

All I can really contribute to this thread is my wishes that everything goes well in the near future and that hopefully things somehow work out and that bands are allowed to play there once again and so on.

:up:

Yeh i think it was more to do with the fact there has been complaints since it started so they assumed that it was the same owner and decided to take action.

I reckon EH should actually try and pitch suggestions to cut down noise (any fittings that could be done to the room to block out sound leaking out). Seems a way that would make all parties involved happy.

Exactly, it should be about prevention.

yeh but prevention isnt why they are in the job, they are there to deal with the complaints when people make too much noise, preventing that is up to the people, who run/lease the building. Its not hard and it could/should of been done already, as i stated earlier carpet on the walls would make a difference if all the bands chipped in to help it would mean you get to keep your practise place, also you could get foam tiles for above the kit, seems expensive but again between a few bands it wouldnt be much and if you weigh up paying a bit of money against losing your practise place, well i dont need to say more. i would suggest getting a smaller pa so that bands have to practise quiet but i know how stupid most bands are and they would just turn it up more till it blew :rolleyes:

Anyway i hope the meeting goes ok and you guys get to keep the place.

Guest lime ruined my life
yeh but prevention isnt why they are in the job' date=' they are there to deal with the complaints when people make too much noise, preventing that is up to the people, who run/lease the building. Its not hard and it could/should of been done already, as i stated earlier carpet on the walls would make a difference if all the bands chipped in to help it would mean you get to keep your practise place, also you could get foam tiles for above the kit, seems expensive but again between a few bands it wouldnt be much and if you weigh up paying a bit of money against losing your practise place, well i dont need to say more. i would suggest getting a smaller pa so that bands have to practise quiet but i know how stupid most bands are and they would just turn it up more till it blew :rolleyes:

Anyway i hope the meeting goes ok and you guys get to keep the place.[/quote']

the only real way to sound proof it would be to build a thick absorbant wall to create a cavity between the entrance of the lockup, and the main area of the lockup.

carpet is less about sound proofing, and more about stopping harsh reflections on hard surfaces.

a substantial sound proofing wall of this kind could be made at the cheapest using a several thick layers of foam, sandwiched between two layers of plasterboad, obviously such a wall would need a door, and the whole thing would probably run into several hundreds of pounds.

the draw back may be that shore porters wont allow it.

maybe it'd be a good idea to make up drawings illustrating this sort of sound proofing, and present it to EH. i doubt theyll listen to you if you just suggest putting up more carpet.

the only real way to sound proof it would be to build a thick absorbant wall to create a cavity between the entrance of the lockup' date=' and the main area of the lockup.

carpet is less about sound proofing, and more about stopping harsh reflections on hard surfaces.

a substantial sound proofing wall of this kind could be made at the cheapest using a several thick layers of foam, sandwiched between two layers of plasterboad, obviously such a wall would need a door, and the whole thing would probably run into several hundreds of pounds.

maybe it'd be a good idea to make up drawings illustrating this sort of sound proofing, and present it to EH. i doubt theyll listen to you if you just suggest putting up more carpet.[/quote']

yeh good points i was just trying to think of cheap ways to maybe help with the problem.

the only real way to sound proof it would be to build a thick absorbant wall to create a cavity between the entrance of the lockup' date=' and the main area of the lockup.

maybe it'd be a good idea to make up drawings illustrating this sort of sound proofing, and present it to EH. i doubt theyll listen to you if you just suggest putting up more carpet.[/quote']

The foam would work against you. An air gap alone would do a better job.

The big problem is the low frequency stuff, like components of the bass and drum kit. Those frequencies are really hard to stop.

http://www.customaudiodesigns.co.uk/help.htm

The important thing is that sound proofing and sound control. For instance what we have applied to our stage: carpet with think neoprene underlay, serge curtains, auralex foam on the ceiling, bass bins mounted on neoprene. Braced and deadened woodwork. Sound absorbent baffling located in the cavities... all that does little or nothing to reduce noise emissions, it merely serves to produce a cleaner sound on stage.

The soundproofing measures are completely different, these consist of things like false ceilings with resilient bars, barrier matts, treble skinned exterior roof with 3 air gaps. Double partition walls with platerboard mounted on neoprene strips that adhere to the joists, 'earthed' floor (which conducts floor running bass into the ground).

BTW there's not a cheap or easy answer. To soundproof or control somewhere you are looking at tens of thousands.

my brain last night was mince. and i have weird dreams alot.

last night i had a dream that aberdeen city council had closed down a restaurant and were gonna melt down all the kitchen plates and cutlery into a wall that they were going to give to us and would serve as a complete sound proffing wall. yeah, I dunno, like I said, my brain is mince.

Guest scott cs.

had they come across the road and said' date=' 'aye, turn it doon', we would have.

[/quote']

this probably isn't my place to say, but isn't one of SoM doing sound engineering at college? if so, he should have been getting into the practise of not letting anything get over 85dB as forthcoming legislation is saying that 85dB is going to be the limit for noise. again, if i am correct in my thinking, he should have had a basic idea of how to soundproof the room, even on a basic level. i've never seen the inside of the lock up, so i can't make any proper comment on that.

this thread has also made me realise two things. one - that there are some great bands and folk in the aberdeen scene that are willing to band together and help each other out. we need more of this. two - there is always going to be a person or group of people who aren't very helpful. we need less of this.

i would also like to say that if the lock up is saved, or moved to a different site, then i'd be more than willing to help with soundproofing and what not.

good luck guys.

this probably isn't my place to say' date=' but isn't one of SoM doing sond engineering at college? if so, he should have been getting into the practise of not letting anything get over 85dB as forthcoming legislation is saying that 85dB is going to be the limit for noise. again, if i am correct in my thinking, he should have had a basic idea of how to soundproof the room, even on a basic level. i've never seen the inside of the lock up, so i can't make any proper comment on that.

this thread has also made me realise two things. one - that there are some great bands and folk in the aberdeen scene that are willing to band together and help each other out. we need more of this. two - there is always going to be a person or group of people who aren't very helpful. we need less of this.

i would also like to say that if the lock up is saved, or moved to a different site, then i'd be more than willing to help with soundproofing and what not.

good luck guys.[/quote']

yes thats true. i am on my last 7 weeks of this course. i have already said to steve that i would lend my thoughts and had some ideas of how to help. we were going to do it soon but never got round to it. yes you are correct in thinking that 85 dB is the limit now, but i can tell you straight that every time we played we never exceed that limit in the room, never mind across the road and into some ones house.

i will still help with the sound profing in the place if steve gets to keep it. i dont think we will be practing there any more though, but steve and dave are good guys so i will easyly help them out with anything.

cheers

chi 666

• 3 weeks later...

if you think we disrespected the place, think of the assholes who broke and stole equipment. fuckers.

we tried to soundproof the hole with tiolet paper, which no-one seemed to appreciate, but we did our best god damn it, and if that aint good enoug, spank zero's ass with a hotdog. ?(

fuck that place, and fuck everyone who blamed us for that shit.

like zero sez, toilet paper is harmless, TOILET PAPER for fucks sake. we didnt steal anything or burn the fucker down like zero wanted to (he's a pyro maniac). we were in the wrong place at the wrong time and we were told by E.H.O when they kicked the door in and drank all our liqour that the cops were on the way. so we locked the door and jammed at full volume, at full volume for 2 hours whith the door barricaded. (take that as seriously as you want).

p.s, you like bailys?