aberdeen-music

legal advice please

ZeromiserY

It's threads like this which make me question the sanity of being in a band.

As far as I'm concerned, stolen bits and pieces and broken bits and bobs are part of the territority of the shared lock up route - this is not a good thing, it's a pain in the arse, but sadly just seems to have always been the way of it, and there always seems to be a culture of abuse and mistreatment of equipment. I never leave behind any equipment which I would not want used, and it's a shame as it directly contravenes the point of having the space in the first place.

SOM - you've only yourself to blame for the backlash on this thread, I echo Kirk's sentiments on this one. Any attempts to reopen the lock up are fully endorsed by myself, despite my pessimism (knowing what EH can be like), I wish the Upstarts chaps the best of luck.....

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Press and Journal would possibly highlight just how they have badly dissapointed a lot of young people who are simply wanting to make music and would comply to making the practice area soundproof.

That's the best idea in this thread so far. A letter to the EE or P&J always gets the sympathy vote going. If someone knowlegable to the situation would do that i reckon it'd do no harm to your cause to try and stop the place from being closed down straight away. Just make sure you amphasise that you're all contributing to the future of local / scottish music.

I'm sure it would make a better story if it came from the viewpoint of the old folks in the home across the road complaining the noise and mayhem cause by the underage drunks and drug addicts making an incoherent din every night for the past 5 years :D

Certainly sounds more like the kind of story that the EE prints.

I'm sure it would make a better story if it came from the viewpoint of the old folks in the home across the road complaining the noise and mayhem cause by the underage drunks and drug addicts making an incoherent din every night for the past 5 years :D

i.e make a counter-complaint. That would be amusing:laughing:

A wee suggestion :

Could it be an idea to try and get a practice space in somewhere more out of the way? I know there's a lack of suitable properties in the city centre, but isn't there loads of garages/etc in subarban areas that don't have residents nearby and would do the job as far as a practice facility goes?

I wouldn't go down the road of trying to get the press on board. It'll just make you enemies in EH's eyes - who will no doubt pull out some more obscure legislation in the process to harm you. Would it really be worth the hassle, when they could simply start threatening the Shore Porters instead to ensure that you don't get to use the area?

One thing : how fucking loud would you have to be in order to be heard across the dual carriageway? :|

Why??

Look as i said befor, we NEVER told them to go fuck themselfs, we were just there at the wrong time when EH came. we just got anoyed that they closed a very good practce space. and most complaints came from satuardays and friday nights. ALSO holding a gig there was what would have closed the space down. you are all acting like t was our fault! like i said, thay just happened to come when we were there. as was said befor we did not trash the space, a little tp never killed anyone and it would have taken a whole 5 mins to take down, it was a laugh, we had FUN.

Sorry if you all thought we were being assholes, to be far we were BUT DONT YOU FUCKING BLAME THE CLOSEING OF THE LOCK UP ON US. IF ANY ONES TO BLAME SPEAK TO THE PEOPLE WHO HELD A GIG THERE.

we respected the lock up and every ones equipment there, we never stole or broke anyones stuff. our drummer had his kit up the whole time for people to use, his cymble stands and 2 crash cymbles were stolen, and 2 bass drum skins fucked. and yet we still keeped our stuff up to let everyone else use. my head got broken and so did my bassest cab, so please stop acting like we are the cunts you make us out to be.

I WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO HELPED THE UPSTARTS CLEAN THE FUCK OUT OF THAT PLASE AND REPAINT AT. so dont judge us befor you know the whole story please.

thank you

spoken to Steve. It was me that held the gig there. according to Steve, the complaints were not from the gig on Friday.

Also, wether you said it or not, someone on the lock-up message boards claimed you did. Why on earth he/she/it said it; only they know.

Nobody said it was solely down to you. But wen someone from your band, on behalf of your band, claims that your band told EH to go fuck themselves, then you can see where they got the idea from to point the finger. I'm not syaing you did or didn't say it, I'll never know for sure, but if someone is claiming you lot did, then you've got to think of how you lot's mind set was at the time.

As for the toilet papering the place, its not about how long it takes to clean it up, its the principal of the whole thing. Sure, some fucking cunts fucked with your gear, thats shit, but I'm pretty sure it wasnt Steve, Dave and The Upstarts, who are the ones that will have had to deal with it. Organising meetings with the EH and trying to stop the place getting shut down gives them enough to deal with without having to go down and clean the place up because someone who was leaving the place behind wanted to have some last "fun" in the place.

Look as i said befor' date=' we NEVER told them to go fuck themselfs, we were just there at the wrong time when EH came. we just got anoyed that they closed a very good practce space. and most complaints came from satuardays and friday nights. ALSO holding a gig there was what would have closed the space down. you are all acting like t was our fault! like i said, thay just happened to come when we were there. as was said befor we did not trash the space, a little tp never killed anyone and it would have taken a whole 5 mins to take down, it was a laugh, we had FUN.

Sorry if you all thought we were being assholes, to be far we were BUT DONT YOU FUCKING BLAME THE CLOSEING OF THE LOCK UP ON US. IF ANY ONES TO BLAME SPEAK TO THE PEOPLE WHO HELD A GIG THERE.

we respected the lock up and every ones equipment there, we never stole or broke anyones stuff. our drummer had his kit up the whole time for people to use, his cymble stands and 2 crash cymbles were stolen, and 2 bass drum skins fucked. and yet we still keeped our stuff up to let everyone else use. my head got broken and so did my bassest cab, so please stop acting like we are the cunts you make us out to be.

I WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO HELPED THE UPSTARTS CLEAN THE FUCK OUT OF THAT PLASE AND REPAINT AT. so dont judge us befor you know the whole story please.

thank you[/quote']

Your spelling is absolutly atrocious i must say.

Btw you make yourself out to be the "cunt" so please stop blowig this thread completely out of proportion.

Thanks

p.s good luck to having "your" own lok up , please remember that folk let your band rent out a space.

p.p.s mon the new lok up

how on earth did i make myself out to be a cunt? that was my first post on this thread.

and i typed the post on the other message board. if you read it you will see that i have explained that we never literly told them to go fuck themselfs, we just said (and i think on behalf of most of the bands that practice there) that it was bullshit what they were claming, We never swore one at them, we talked politly and i even gave them my name and address if they need me. im sorry if you misunderstood. we were nice enough guys.

and thu OF COURSE if you held a gig that went on to 11 oclock with people pariying and smoking on the street that would have affected it. are you trying to pull the blame of yourself and onto us? we tryed to stick up for the practice space.

YES YES YES I KNOW I HAVE BAD SPELLING!!!!!!!!!!!

no, I know it may well have had an affect. But from what Steve has been told, the complaints were not directly, if any, from Friday night. So, like you said, dont go saying shit unless you know the full story, and don't go placing the blame on the gig we held, which was all very civilized, and was what was goign to be the first of many. Steve and Dave were there, we all loved it. The reason we finished by 11 was to avoid any unsociable hours stuff.

You'll also notice in my first post I claimed that I thought it may well have been because of the gig, but since then, I've been told it wasn't.I'd be quite happy to hold my handf up and say "fuck, real sorry" but I'm not going to, cos Im no more to blame than anybody.

Say what you like, but the fact remains, pointing fingers at me and the gig is as bad as pointing it at anybody, probably even worse apparently.

just saw your reply on the lockup message board

"you played a gig there???

No fucking wonder it got closed"

I'm guessing that was you.

In case you hadnt noticed, the first lockup site was about the gigs that were gonna happen there.

so dont judge us befor you know the whole story please.

bit hypocritical dont you think?

Yeah' date=' its round the corner from exile, across from the cyrenian homeless charity who have put in the complaints.. which is quite ironic after we've done a charity gig for them, and one last week to "stop climate chaos"!

[/quote']

I don't think it's that ironic really. I'm sure they appreciate the help, but people live in that building. Mostly people who don't really have the option of moving anywhere else.

just saw your reply on the lockup message board

I'm guessing that was you.

In case you hadnt noticed' date=' the first lockup site was about the gigs that were gonna happen there.

bit hypocritical dont you think?[/quote']

you know what we were doing last monday? recording, track by track. WITHOUT a bassist. so we made very little noise.

and thu im NOT blaming you, its just pretty shitty of you to mention you held a gig there then throw your finger in the air and point it at us screamind "THE WORRIORS KILLED OSIRIOUS"

just a question here WHY ARE WE GETTING THE BLAME??o_O

you know what we were doing last monday? recording' date=' track by track. WITHOUT a bassist. so we made very little noise.

and thu im NOT blaming you, its just pretty shitty of you to mention you held a gig there then throw your finger in the air and point it at us screamind "THE WORRIORS KILLED OSIRIOUS"

just a question here WHY ARE WE GETTING THE BLAME??o_O[/quote']jesus, can you not read? earlier i said

"Nobody said it was solely down to you."

Me included. We probably are more to blame. But from you post in reply to me saying we held a gig on here and on the lockup message board you were pretty much saying "it was you."

I never pointed the finger. IN fact, quite the opposite, befoe anything was said to me I put up my hand and said...

I have a feeling SOMETHING of this came form the gig on Friday night.

The only finger pointing between me and you...has come from you...at me.