aberdeen-music

legal advice please

ZeromiserY

like i said' date=' we didnt tell anyone to fuck anyone.

we didnt trash the place, just a roll or two of tp, no big deal.

we had carpeting up on the door but didnt really make any difference.

we aint gonna play there any more, just the principal of the the thing really.

and how do you know no-one ever complained about you? we didnt know until monday that any had moaned their face off about us. had they come across the road and said 'do you realsie that its loud enough to heasr across the street' we'd have happily turned down or padded the place up or something. but going from nothing, to , 'YER OOT' was a bit much[/quote']

if you didnt tell anyone to 'go fuck themselves' they why boast that you had in another message?

why throw ANY toilet paper at all?

what principle could you guys possibly have? is it to make things difficult for yourself and everyone else?

how loud did you have to be for someone to call environmental health during the day?

in response to your previous comment, youre right, if you want to act like an idiot then noone can really stop you. just keep expecting people to treat you like an idiot and don't think that you have any right to complain when they do...

openly admitting to having a tantrum and throwing toilet paper over a practice space while justifying your actions in virtue of the belief that if you want to behave like a 'depraved beast' then you will is kind of making you look a bit stupid.

i think the point about you guys fucking up the lock-up is actually directed to another message that one of you guys wrote boasting of telling the guys from environmental health to 'go fuck themselves'. if you really were unreasonable with EH then you have contributed largely to the lock-up being shut-down. someone is very unlikely to open a dialogue with you if you are rude to them, thats just a fact of life. even if you think theyre being absolutely unreasonable, the last thing you do is behave rudely towards them because its going to totally jeopardise your case against them. if you didnt insult environmental health then i can only assume that it was an idle boast aimed at making yourselves look 'cool' or something, in which case, it has totally backfired.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you didnt tell anyone to 'go fuck themselves' they why boast that you had in another message?

why throw ANY toilet paper at all?

what principle could you guys possibly have? is it to make things difficult for yourself and everyone else?

how loud did you have to be for someone to call environmental health during the day?

in response to your previous comment' date=' youre right, if you want to act like an idiot then noone can really stop you. just keep expecting people to treat you like an idiot and don't think that you have any right to complain when they do...

openly admitting to having a tantrum and throwing toilet paper over a practice space while justifying your actions in virtue of the belief that if you want to behave like a 'depraved beast' then you will is kind of making you look a bit stupid.

i think the point about you guys fucking up the lock-up is actually directed to another message that one of you guys wrote boasting of telling the guys from environmental health to 'go fuck themselves'. if you really were unreasonable with EH then you have contributed largely to the lock-up being shut-down. someone is very unlikely to open a dialogue with you if you are rude to them, thats just a fact of life. even if you think theyre being absolutely unreasonable, the last thing you do is behave rudely towards them because its going to totally jeopardise your case against them. if you didnt insult environmental health then i can only assume that it was an idle boast aimed at making yourselves look 'cool' or something, in which case, it has totally backfired.[/quote']

i certainly didnt, and i dont post on lockup forum.

the band is not one person. thus it may have been someone else who wrote that.

the only thing we said other than 'hello' and 'okay' , was a request for help finding somewhere suitable. they said 'nae my proablam'.

we didnt have a tantrum, we had a laugh. jesus christ lighten up. or you'll have a heart attack by the time your 13.we thought no-one else was going to practice there after that, being they said legal action would be taken and instruments confiscated. continuing to play probably just made thing worse

i certainly didnt' date=' and i dont post on lockup forum.

the band is not one person. thus it may have been [i']someone else who wrote that.

the only thing we said other than 'hello' and 'okay' , was a request for help finding somewhere suitable. they said 'nae my proablam'.

we didnt have a tantrum, we had a laugh. jesus christ lighten up. or you'll have a heart attack by the time your 13.

ok, so someone representing your band on the lock-up forum boasted that youd been rude to environmental health. im still not understanding why that wasnt a stupid thing to boast about and in what way that doesn't seem likely to mislead people to the assumption that you had actually been rude to EH. im also still not understanding why that isn't your bands problem in any way?

the only problem with your second statement is that your 'laugh' missed out on being funny to anyone other than yourselves. i cant imagine it was funny to the person who had to tidy up your mess.

the first thing makes you look like idiots, the second makes you look selfish. all in all, then, even if you weren't actually rude to environmental health, someone in your band obviously thought it was a good idea to say that you were. i wouldnt elect this man as your PR representative. if you want to earn a reputation for being selfish idiots, then youre doing a great job.

dont expect to stay long in your new practice space if you carry on doing this sort of stuff.

ok' date=' so someone representing your band on the lock-up forum boasted that youd been rude to environmental health. im still not understanding why that wasnt a stupid thing to boast about and in what way that doesn't seem likely to mislead people to the assumption that you had actually been rude to EH. im also still not understanding why that isn't your bands problem in any way?

the only problem with your second statement is that your 'laugh' missed out on being funny to anyone other than yourselves. i cant imagine it was funny to the person who had to tidy up your mess.

the first thing makes you look like idiots, the second makes you look selfish. all in all, then, even if you weren't [i']actually rude to environmental health, someone in your band obviously thought it was a good idea to say that you had. i wouldnt elect this man as your PR representative. if you want to earn a reputation for being selfish idiots, then youre doing a great job.

dont expect to stay long in your new practice space if you carry on doing this sort of stuff.

well we thought that the other bands were done with it too, otherwise we wouldnt have done it. can only apologise to them.

and in relation to the 'forst thing'....your right, its not the 1st time thats happened. though wir nae bootin him

(p.s , not trying to start bad blood with anyone, just a bad idea at a bad time. we got norhing against the other bands, except the fuckers who stole half of our stuff)

well we thought that the other bands were done with it too' date=' otherwise we wouldnt have done it. can only apologise to them.

and in relation to the 'forst thing'....your right, its not the 1st time thats happened. though wir nae bootin him

(p.s , not trying to start bad blood with anyone, just a bad idea at a bad time. we got norhing against the other bands, except the fuckers who stole half of our stuff)[/quote']

I guess thats about as much of an apology as youre going to provide.

I have genuine sympathy for the bands you share with now...

I have a feeling SOMETHING of this came form the gig on Friday night. Though during that, no police or any complaints, even though some people were in the streets smoking, and also, we had everyone out of the lockup and the area by 11, which I believe is when it becomes unsociable hours.

Hopefully Steve and Dave can update me on whats going on. I'm all up for putting in some time and effort etc into further soundproofing the place.

I have a feeling SOMETHING of this came form the gig on Friday night. Though during that' date=' no police or any complaints, even though some people were in the streets smoking, and also, we had everyone out of the lockup and the area by 11, which I believe is when it becomes unsociable hours.

Hopefully Steve and Dave can update me on whats going on. I'm all up for putting in some time and effort etc into further soundproofing the place.[/quote']

Jake mentioned this too. He told me that the people across the street might of had a problem seeing people with "funny haircuts" who were smoking and obviously having a good time. They wouldnt of liked that so they complained to EH. The irony is that I bet the same people dont bat an eye-lid when prossies are sucking guys cocks in the same area. Selective hypocrisy.:down:

To be fair' date=' the lock-up has been running for about 2 years (as far as i'm aware) and hasn't had any major problems with noise. [/quote']

I think it was 2003 when Ross started it. Dos Dedos had the folk from the home across the road over complaining once and we just turned down a bit and got on with it. The only problems we ever had were other bands (or one other band at least) using equipment without permission, even going as far as taking stuff out of kit bags and rucksacks that they had no business touching.

Yeah, its round the corner from exile, across from the cyrenian homeless charity who have put in the complaints.. which is quite ironic after we've done a charity gig for them, and one last week to "stop climate chaos"!

We've got a meeting with the head of EH next tue to discuss our views but Me and dave went to citizens advice today and found that due to section 80(1) of the 1990 Environmental Health Protection Act and with this Noise Abatement Order they can shut us down without having to take decibel/sound readings. It says within the officers own professional opinion, couldnt beleive it.

Anyway, we're writing letters tonight and trying to come up with a decent defense case before they give us the Order as acording to the Act we are meant to be given a preliminary stage in which to meet with officers and complaining parties to come up with solutions to work through the "nuisance".. although when we spoke to EH they said that theyve been having complaints for 3 years and so presuming they think we have ignored them since then, although the first news we heard was when SOM were chucked out a few days ago.

Its just really depressing when we've put so much time/money/effot into trying to provide a cheap place for bands to practise. We were planning on puting on free showcase gigs for bands who are just starting up instead of them having to go around selling tickets to all their friends.. We wanted to keep money out of it and make it fully about the music. We had one of these scheduled for sat night but had to cancel. The first and maybe only gig we'l do went really well aswell but we'l just need to see how this meeting goes.

We'l do our best, but if we dont get it back, as we said we're gonna look for sumwhere else, any1 know how much drakes lease is? :)

Steve

To be fair, I dont think there was any complaints for the one JUST round the corner, next door to exile. Dunno if its still empty, but Paul Samat and what was once "The Basement" are no longer there so it may be empty. Its about 2 or three times the size, so would make an ideal we hang out/practice/gig room etc etc. Also, in the case of gigs, if we still did smoking outside, we're out of eyeshot and alot deeper inside thte building for the noise to travel to the homeless place. Its more expensive, naturally, but could well be worth it.

If The Lock-Up gets shut down Steve, I'm up for meeting up and discussing helping with a new place, as I reckon the others from D.E.Y. Records are. Slains still doing a free buffet on Fridays?? :up:

Cheers min.

That room goes back years as a rehearsal space... Been in there with several bands over the years and never had problems with the locals, unless the door was opened at an inappropriate time. Don't know how the volume has been of late but the space has always had a relationship with loud bands with no problems.

Sucks!

sweet fucking jesus, why is everyone coming down on us as if we're solely to blame?

im sure as fuck we are not even the 4th loudest band that play there. all you muh fuckas mouthing on here like you know the whole story when you dont.

think what you like, all i know is it wasnt our fault that hovel closed. sure im sorry it happend but im glad my equipment is locked up and all you cheap bastards (upstarts drummer excluded) who used my kit, stole from me , broke and damaged my equipment are far, far away from it. buy your own kit and break your OWN cymbals. im sure you dont need stands AS YOU STOLE ALL MINE AND UPSTARTS.

gentlemen, set your keyboards to kill.

it is a shame if it has to get closed down... it seemed like a rather cool place..! who stuck the whole prit-stick to a piece of paper on the wall? < that made me laugh.

hope ya get it sorted out soon steve

sweet fucking jesus' date=' why is everyone coming down on us as if we're solely to blame?

im sure as fuck we are not even the 4th loudest band that play there. all you muh fuckas mouthing on here like you know the whole story when you dont.

think what you like, all i know is it wasnt our fault that hovel closed. sure im sorry it happend but im glad my equipment is locked up and all you cheap bastards (upstarts drummer excluded) who used my kit, stole from me , broke and damaged my equipment are far, far away from it. buy your own kit and break your OWN cymbals. im sure you dont need stands AS YOU STOLE ALL MINE AND UPSTARTS.

gentlemen, set your keyboards to kill.[/quote']

Apparently you were trying to use our drummers stands until he came in and stopped you:P

It's all in past now so let's forget about that and move on.

sweet fucking jesus' date=' why is everyone coming down on us as if we're solely to blame? [/quote']

you kind of brought that on yourselves really by first pretending to have told EH to go fuck themselves then toilet papering the place.

remember that whole 'behave like an idiot, expect to get treated like an idiot' thing?

i dont think youre solely to blame, it just came across as though you threw a bit of a tantrum when you didnt think you could practice there anymore.

again, if you dont want to give that impression then dont behave in that manner.

Just because it is within EH's rights to shut down a place without warning doesnt matter. It is still totally unfair and a letter/article in the Press and Journal would possibly highlight just how they have badly dissapointed a lot of young people who are simply wanting to make music and would comply to making the practice area soundproof.

This is so unfair its unreal. The EH are just acting like a bunch of dictators who act first and talk later.