aberdeen-music

New myspace page for Aberdeen gig listings

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Guest five years
It is all RFR gigs.

There's too many listings to even contemplate putting them on myspace on the Granite city Guide page' date=' (nearly 150 for next month already) which is why we only have a link to the website from there.[/quote']

does that not render the granite city myspace irrelevant then? if it's merely a bounce-board to go to another site? if it's simply stating: "go to this other website for the information you're actually looking for"

plus, what's the point, as there are currently only 55 "friends", surely you get more coverage to more people on here?

just an observation, not a criticism...:)

does that not render the granite city myspace irrelevant then? if it's merely a bounce-board to go to another site? if it's simply stating: "go to this other website for the information you're actually looking for"

plus' date=' what's the point, as there are currently only 55 "friends", surely you get more coverage to more people on here?

just an observation, not a criticism...:)[/quote']

It doesn't make it irrelevant but I see you're point. Even if 1 person who has never heard of the guide stops by then it's served it's purpose. It takes a long time to climb up the serch engine rankings.

Just for you, I've found a relatively painless way to list forthcoming gigs, which, if I have time, I'll update on Mondays when I do the mailout for the Guide.

www.myspace.com/granitecityguide

If that's the case' date=' why is he bothering having one page for RFR and one page for this, thus insinuating that all gigs in Aberdeen are RFR? Sounds like a pathetic shot at acting the monopolist, especially when the GCG site covers a far wider spectrum.......[/quote']

That is just a plain stupid thing to bitch about. Any gig listing is a good gig listing. RFR get a lot of big bands up here, so if people see that, then they may consider going to a gig that isn't just a bunch of local bands.

Yes GCG do cover a wider spectrum, but it would take fucking ages if Jamesy added every Aberdeen gig, shite or not, to the myspace page. It's his job to promote for RFR, so it makes sense to have RFR gigs does it not?

Guest five years
so it makes sense to have RFR gigs does it not?

exactly.

and in all honesty, i personally couldn't give a toss what's on at the blue lamp on a wednesday evening, because i know a> i won't go and b>they wouldn't have anything of interest for me.

the GCG is a commendable undertaking by milner and ian, and whoever else is involved but ultimately IMO it's a lot of wasted energy for a lot of people who really couldn't care less... :(

even all the people into the new school indie - probably the biggest market at the minute - aren't going to look beyond drummonds, the lemon tree and occasionally moshulu/tunnels. having EVERY venue seems a little daft.

there's no way to judge how effective the GCG is anyway, as every venue still has nights that no-one turns up, and everyone once in a while a show will be unexpectedly busy i suppose.

exactly.

and in all honesty' date=' i personally couldn't give a toss what's on at the blue lamp on a wednesday evening, because i know a> i won't go and b>they wouldn't have anything of interest for me.

the GCG is a commendable undertaking by milner and ian, and whoever else is involved but ultimately IMO it's a lot of wasted energy for a lot of people who really couldn't care less... :(

even all the people into the new school indie - probably the biggest market at the minute - aren't going to look beyond drummonds, the lemon tree and occasionally moshulu/tunnels. having EVERY venue seems a little daft.

there's no way to judge how effective the GCG is anyway, as every venue still has nights that no-one turns up, and everyone once in a while a show will be unexpectedly busy i suppose.[/quote']

There are ways to tell that the GC Guide is being effective, there's very few left in venues at the end of the month now, and remember there are several thousand printed, web hits have gone up 25% since the new year. The Guide itself is growing and as of next month will be 12 a5 pages in a booklet form, and is managing to be self sufficient.

Where the GC Guide is effective is the fact that there will always be some kind of music in it that will appeal to you, yep, not every gig, but every gig that can be found is in there so it covers the RFR, the Interesting Music, the Arkade, the Kabuki, the Vocoustics, the Jazz Festival, the classical gigs, the Lemon Tree, you name it, it's there.

I think the comment Scorge is making is based on the fact that such a page could be an RFR specific page title instead of implying all Aberdeen gigs. At the end of the day it doesnt matter though, who's to say that RFR wont add other people's gigs in, and there is the GC Guide page for people who want to see other things.

Cheers

Stuart