aberdeen-music

Stanley

The Milner

I watched these guys for the first time last night in a speacial show put on in the old exile studios and holy shit! They have to be far a clear mile the best and most professional local band i have ever seen in my life, to be honest they are miles better than almost any band i have shared a stage with. The songs are amazing and the overall stage performace was tremendous. As i say ive never been so impressed with profesionalism or attitude than i was last night with these guys, if you get the chance check them out, you will not be dissapointed if you like the kinda music they do.

:)

haha ok then, they are kinda like The Divine comedy i suppose if i must use a band to compare them to, but there is a lot more to the songs. Both the lead and backing vocalist have obvioulsy been trained to a high standard as both are very strong singers. They use backing tracks on top of having two guitarists, one who also goes onto piano for certain songs, a drummer bassist and a vibraphone player which gives them amazing dynamics and different sounds.

Once you get speakers give them a listen or even better go see them next time they are playing.

We (Kordoba) are one of the other bands. I am now slightly unnerved by hearing that these guys are probably going to make us look shit in comparison. Come and hear us anyway! We combine some punk elements with Flaming Lips, Perfect Circle, Hives, Pixies influences to form a unique space-prog groove. Expect an electrically eclectic set.

AKM

Seen them twice of late and I have to say been extremely underimpressed both times. I want to like them, I really do, as everything on paper says they are great but to my ears (they are old and they have heard a lot of music) they lack the catchy bits that tunes should have. There are a few strong ideas but they fall short of complete listner satisfaction. They also played too long and may benefit from trimming their set down. The drums are a little too tight and on the button for me and probably due to 'clicktrack concentration'.

This said everyone should go check them out as they are a very (musicianship) talented band and they will no doubt gain a few new fans along the way.

You know that fine looking funcy cake you see in the bakers window and you go in a buy it, salivating, only to find out that it is nowhere near as good as you had hoped...

(Respectfully critiqued)

Seen them twice of late and I have to say been extremely underimpressed both times. I want to like them' date=' I really do, as everything on paper says they are great but to my ears (they are old and they have heard a lot of music) they lack the catchy bits that tunes should have. There are a few strong ideas but they fall short of complete listner satisfaction. They also played too long and may benefit from trimming their set down. The drums are a little too tight and on the button for me and probably due to 'clicktrack concentration'.

This said everyone should go check them out as they are a very (musicianship) talented band and they will no doubt gain a few new fans along the way.

You know that fine looking funcy cake you see in the bakers window and you go in a buy it, salivating, only to find out that it is nowhere near as good as you had hoped...

(Respectfully critiqued)[/quote']

not wanting to sound like a knob, but how can drums be too tight? Surely being as tight as possible is the first and most important part of being a drummer is it not?? As for the click track thing, you do kinda need to be in time when you play a set that has mini disc samples and extra bits.........but then what do i know, im only a drummer. :)

not wanting to sound like a knob' date=' but how can drums be too tight? Surely being as tight as possible is the first and most important part of being a drummer is it not?? As for the click track thing, you do kinda need to be in time when you play a set that has mini disc samples and extra bits.........but then what do i know, im only a drummer. :)[/quote']

My thoughts exactly! I might be totally off here, but i thought drummers were meant to keep time? seems strange that one would get slagged off for doing it too well? :)

We (Kordoba) are one of the other bands. I am now slightly unnerved by hearing that these guys are probably going to make us look shit in comparison. Come and hear us anyway! We combine some punk elements with Flaming Lips' date=' Perfect Circle, Hives, Pixies influences to form a unique space-prog groove. Expect an electrically eclectic set.

AKM[/quote']

any links to your stuff??

I wouldnt be worried just go up and do your shit, no band can be better at being your band than you, except in our case where we do a much better job of blink 182 than they could ever .

not wanting to sound like a knob' date=' but how can drums be too tight? Surely being as tight as possible is the first and most important part of being a drummer is it not?? As for the click track thing, you do kinda need to be in time when you play a set that has mini disc samples and extra bits.........but then what do i know, im only a drummer. :)[/quote']

I'm not really referring to the tightness but more to do with the feel of the drumming. You, being a drummer, can appreciate that it is possible and easy to play on, behind and in front of the beat? Some styles of music require and benefit from playing slightly behind said beat as this will add to the feel of the tunes. A drummer is not merely a clicktrack!

The drummer may have been having an off night with the click, who knows. I've had some horrible experiences in the past where the backingtrack/click all but dissappear, in the monitor or headphones, mid song. Near pappered my pant a few times...

I just found it awkward to listen to, on that night, is all.

(If you let the click dictate how you, the drummer, feel the beat it 'can' sound strained)

Milner I posted a link to there website in my reply before. Think they have like 6 tracks you can listen to on there website. Sound pretty good...in my op. Lol you prob do, do a better blink 182 I remember seeing them at the Leeds festivel about 4-5 yrs back and they struggled to play some of there songs because supposedly the rifts were 'very difficult' to play and they forgot the words to 2 of there songs half way through them...not v professional...

I'm not really referring to the tightness but more to do with the feel of the drumming. You' date=' being a drummer, can appreciate that it is possible and easy to play on, behind and in front of the beat? Some styles of music require and benefit from playing slightly behind said beat as this will add to the feel of the tunes. A drummer is not merely a clicktrack!

The drummer may have been having an off night with the click, who knows. I've had some horrible experiences in the past where the backingtrack/click all but dissappear, in the monitor or headphones, mid song. Near pappered my pant a few times...

I just found it awkward to listen to, on that night, is all.

(If you let the click dictate how you, the drummer, feel the beat it 'can' sound strained)[/quote']

fair enough that does make sense :)

Haha i bet losing a click track mid song would be awful, as would be losing your place whilst playing along to one, thank god i dont have to go through all that, ciaran dont get an ideas...........

Milner I posted a link to there website in my reply before. Think they have like 6 tracks you can listen to on there website. Sound pretty good...in my op. Lol you prob do' date=' do a better blink 182 I remember seeing them at the Leeds festivel about 4-5 yrs back and they struggled to play some of there songs because supposedly the rifts were 'very difficult' to play and they forgot the words to 2 of there songs half way through them...not v professional...[/quote']

would help if i read all the posts properly would it, haha.

fair enough that does make sense :)

Haha i bet losing a click track mid song would be awful' date=' as would be losing your place whilst playing along to one, thank god i dont have to go through all that, ciaran dont get an ideas...........[/quote']

I had to watch the bass guitarist/singers tapping right foot once when my monitor went pop. All in front of 500 Shetlanders pilled up at 4am... I doubt they would have noticed to be honest