aberdeen-music

Ian Brown at the AECC 11th Feb 2006 he he he

Biz

• 2 weeks later...

His last statement is priceless,a fine example for his impressionable fans...not

Genius

The former Stone Roses man gets this year's ultimate rock honour

Ian Brown will be proclaimed a Godlike Genius at this year's ShockWaves NME Awards.

The frontman of The Stone Roses and now a solo artist in his own right, follows last year's recipients New Order and joins a list of legends that includes The Clash, U2, John Peel and the Happy Mondays' Shaun Ryder.

Commenting on the success of other Manchester musicians in the past, Brown said he was moved to receive this year's award.

"I thought you only give it Mancs (laughs). I'm glad to be a part of that, I see it as a sign for people if you believe in yourself and keep going no one can put you down," he said. "It's a mega honour. Did you know the word genius comes from the Arabic word jinn which means spirit, so I'll take that. It's an mega honour that."

Brown - whose debut album with The Stone Roses was named as the Best British Album of all time in last week's NME (January 28) - was selected for the honour for what the judges saw continual impact throughout his long career.

"We're extremely proud to be honouring Ian Brown with this year's Godlike Genius Award," explained the NME's panel. "His lasting influence on British rock music, both as a member of The Stone Roses and also a subsequently successful solo artist, is without question and can be felt everywhere from the baggy beats of Kasabian through to the Arctic Monkeys' northern soul."

Reflecting on his career, Brown said that he was particularly pleased to be honoured for his solo work as he was for his contribution to The Stone Roses.

"To do it again is a dream," he declared. "I always had a feeling with the 'Roses that we'd have some success, but afterwards I had no idea I just wanted to keep making music. I'm getting bigger than ever, I should be forgotten about by now lying on some beach in Marbella, but I'm not - I'm better than ever. I'm starting work on my fifth LP now, I'm straight into writing now."

The singer added that he saw his 2001 single 'FEAR' ranked as one of his moments of true genius. "As well as my 'Roses work. I think 'FEAR' is the most outstanding piece of work probably due to the lyrics, the way the lyrics run, and feel of it," he said.

Brown is now set to play a sold-out ShockWaves NME Awards Show on February 15, and he admitted he would be celebrating his new honour.

"I'll most definitely be up for it," he said. "I've got a couple of surprises to unleash on you."

Brown will then be formally presented with his Godlike Genius award at the ceremony on February 23, though he admitted he has yet to write a speech for the night.

"I'll play it by ear and I'll see what you need. I'm usually one who says what he thinks," explained Brown. "Everyone who's ever supported me is going to get a lift of this, everyone who's ever been against me will get hurt by it. I get the best of both."

IPC MEDIA 1996-2006, All rights reserved | Site User Terms | Privacy Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Buy Our Content

Guillemots (Video)Embrace (Video)White Rose Movement (Album)Mystery Jets (Album)

In The Magazine

seems like history may repeat itself...watch out for that award statue

Entertainment

Former Stone Roses singer jailed for air rage

Ian Brown: Threatened to chop a stewardess's hands off

Former Stone Roses singer Ian Brown has been jailed for four months for after being found guilty of using threatening behaviour towards an airline stewardess and captain on a flight from Paris.

The 35-year-old threatened stewardess Christine Cooper and hammered on the cockpit door as the British Airways flight began its descent into Manchester Airport in February.

Ms Cooper had told magistrates in Manchester how he had threatened to chop her hands off after she mistakenly offered him duty free.

Brown denied using threatening and abusive behaviour towards Ms Cooper and Captain Martin Drake on board the BA 1611 flight from Charles De Gaulles airport on February 13.

Stewardess terrified by Brown

But magistrates convicted him after hearing how Ms Cooper had been terrified by his behaviour.

She had been offering drinks to customers when she thought Brown had gestured to her. But then she realised he had simply been putting something into his pocket.

She told the court on Thursday: "I realised I had made a mistake, and I offered him an apology with an open palm gesture. As I was about to continue, I heard him shout: 'Hey you'."

She said he told her not to wave at him, or he would chop her hands off.

"I was immediately shocked at the response I got from doing nothing wrong. I apologised but he kept up the abuse in a threatening way, pointing a finger with a menacing tone. I was terrified ... it was an individual threat to me."

She said he threatened her four or five times.

When Captain Drake intervened, the court was told that Brown said: "If she points at me again I'll chop her hands off."

Banging on flight deck door

He later approached the flight deck and started banging on the door for 20 or 30 seconds.

But Brown insisted he was only joking when he said he would chop her hands off.

He said thought she had made a dismissive gesture towards him.

"She waved her hand in what I considered to be a dismissive fashion. As a result I said: 'Don't wave your hand at me like that.' To which she replied: 'I am sorry.' To which I smiled and said sorry's OK.

"She then said: 'I apologise.' I said apologies are OK. As a side joke I said: 'If you do it again I'll chop it off.'

"She smiled at me and tutted and carried on pushing the trolley," he said.

He also denied using abusive language to Ms Cooper, and claimed Captain Drake tried to provoke him when he intervened.

He was arrested when the plane landed.

Manchester scene

Now a solo artist with hits like My Star, Brown was briefly one of Britain's biggest rock stars when the Stone Roses were at their peak in the Manchester scene of the late 1980s and early 1990s.

But after taking five years to record a follow-up to their eponymous debut album, the group split in acrimony in 1996.

But even now the group's sound is still an inspiration to a generation of new bands.

Brown was due to tour the UK next month.