aberdeen-music

Ian Brown at the AECC 11th Feb 2006 he he he

Biz

Ha ha ha ha ha I ain't laughed so much in years.

I got front row tickets to the Fast Show and even THEY did not raise as much chuckles as Ian.

Top band,(nae the sort of stuff I'd buy or listen to again), but it was an emperors new clothes scenario, with Ian producing the most absurd off key vocal sounds I have EVER heard,(bear in mind I have seen 20 zillion acts) and the fact that Ian makes a living as a singer is absurd,he he he he he, it cheered me up no end .

I also have had the misfortune of witnessing Mr potato face Jim (formerly Jaun) Kerr at the Music hall, but despite the piggy eyes and King Edward like features, it must be said that Jim really CAN sing, but once more I couldn't give a toss if I never heard Simple Minds again....ach go on then, as lang as it's I travel.

Belle and Sebastian are equally unnoteworthy,seemingly playing the same song for ever.

It's no wonder there seems to be a downturn in good bands when seemingly all the MTV channels and most radio stations play forgettable pish...where's the new Sex Pistols? where's the new Prodigy? probably setting up gear for some mince like Coldplay or James Blunt, bring back Atom Flask, Gatechien,The Screamin Stukas...let the new kids be inspired to make music fun instead of safe namby pamby careerist shite REVOLT NOW.

Ha ha ha ha ha I ain't laughed so much in years.

I got front row tickets to the Fast Show and even THEY did not raise as much chuckles as Ian.

Top band' date='(nae the sort of stuff I'd buy or listen to again), but it was an emperors new clothes scenario, with Ian producing the most absurd off key vocal sounds I have EVER heard,(bear in mind I have seen 20 zillion acts) and the fact that Ian makes a living as a singer is absurd,he he he he he, it cheered me up no end .

I also have had the misfortune of witnessing Mr potato face Jim (formerly Jaun) Kerr at the Music hall, but despite the piggy eyes and King Edward like features, it must be said that Jim really CAN sing, but once more I couldn't give a toss if I never heard Simple Minds again....ach go on then, as lang as it's I travel.

Belle and Sebastian are equally unnoteworthy,seemingly playing the same song for ever.

It's no wonder there seems to be a downturn in good bands when seemingly all the MTV channels and most radio stations play forgettable pish...where's the new Sex Pistols? where's the new Prodigy? probably setting up gear for some mince like Coldplay or James Blunt, bring back Atom Flask, Gatechien,The Screamin Stukas...let the new kids be inspired to make music fun instead of safe namby pamby careerist shite REVOLT NOW.[/quote']

Too right. I saw him at T in the Park...walked out 2.5 songs in. thought it would be better to get a drop on the rest of the traffic than listen to off key (I wouldn't be that kind) rubbish. FTPS!

Dead on!!

Have to say that must be one of the worst gigs I've ever been to!! Being a huge Brown/Stone Roses fan I was bitterly disappointed but certainly not shocked on Sat night!! Its always a gamble going to see Ian Brown live. But apart from Ian missing many notes the PA at the exhibition centre is pish and I definately wont be splashing the cash in future to see any gigs there.

Having said all that Brown was very amusing and I had to laugh when he waved to the crowd - somehow it just didn't seem to match his image!!

Have to agree. The sound was pish, as always Brown's vocals were pish, but if you expected any different from him then you shouldn't have bothered going. His presence was enough to get the crowd going. To be honest I've heard him sing the Stone Roses songs he did a lot worse but his solo stuff sounded dire. Was disappointed that he didn't finish with I Am The Ressurection but was later told by my mates step-dad (who is good friends with Steve the guitarist) that the new bassist didn't know it.

Sounds like bollocks to me because why on earth would he pick a bassist who didn't know every song?

Being a lifelong Roses fan I had goosebumps at the start but as it dragged on I couldn't wait for it to end.

And what the hell was the point in giving folk on the guestlist passes for the aftershow party and taking them backstage? We sat backstage for 45 minutes waiting for someone to tell us what was going on and no-one showed up so we left very disappointed. We were then told by the guitarist Steve that after the band went for an Indian that they'd be heading down to Snafu and they'd join us for a drink, only to be told by the doorstaff at Snafu that everyone was heading to Lo-Down.

A disappointing night all-round:down:

Snafu was at capacity when Ian and an entourage of around 15 - 18 turned up. We had a James Lavelle gig on as well, so there was no chance that anyone with a backstage or VIP or any other AECC pass could get in for free.

We had invited Ian Brown, his band and crew to Snafu for drinks, but any AECC guestlist or aftershow passes handed out at the gig had nothing to do with us so unfortunately we couldn't allow entry.

And what the hell was the point in giving folk on the guestlist passes for the aftershow party and taking them backstage? We sat backstage for 45 minutes waiting for someone to tell us what was going on and no-one showed up so we left very disappointed. We were then told by the guitarist Steve that after the band went for an Indian that they'd be heading down to Snafu and they'd join us for a drink' date=' only to be told by the doorstaff at Snafu that everyone was heading to Lo-Down.

A disappointing night all-round:down:[/quote']

acording to an email sent to me by Lo Down, Ian Brown was always going there

Lo Down

<Members@lo-down.co.uk> to me

More options 08/12/05

Shhh...You guys get the first pick.

We can confirm James Lavelle (UNKLE/Mo' Wax) will be playing at the club on Saturday 11th Feb. Not only that' date=' but on the very same night, we'll be hosting Ian Brown's Official Aftershow Party. Two UNKLE collaborators in the same venue, on the same night![/b']

Early bird tickets have now gone on sale priced a mere 6. These are extremely limited, and after the first batch have sold-out, the price will increase.

Doors open 9pm, curfew 3am - 6 hours of monkey madness!

Lo Down

Carnegie Brae

ABERDEEN

AB10 1BF

www.lo-down.co.uk

members@lo-down.co.uk

see? and that was sent to me last year o_O

But apart from Ian missing many notes the PA at the exhibition centre is pish and I definately wont be splashing the cash in future to see any gigs there.

For shows of that size, the bands bring their own PA, lighting etc, so if the sound is not up to scratch, blame the PA company employed by the acts management, not the AECC.

Snafu was at capacity when Ian and an entourage of around 15 - 18 turned up. We had a James Lavelle gig on as well' date=' so there was no chance that anyone with a backstage or VIP or any other AECC pass could get in for free.

We had invited Ian Brown, his band and crew to Snafu for drinks, but any AECC guestlist or aftershow passes handed out at the gig had nothing to do with us so unfortunately we couldn't allow entry.[/quote']

I was there long before the band turned up and they were letting folk in. I wouldn't have minded about paying, it's just the fact that we were turned away then the folk behind us in the queue were allowed in.

Stray Cat, I can guarantee only ticketholders were gaining entry. The gig was a complete sell-out and no one was able to pay on the door. In fact the gig was sold-out by around 8pm that evening.

As for Lo Down, I wrote that email! When I became Manager of Snafu, I took the James Lavelle/Ian Brown Aftershow with me. Apologies for the confusion.

Stray Cat' date=' I can guarantee only ticketholders were gaining entry. The gig was a complete sell-out and no one was able to pay on the door. In fact the gig was sold-out by around 8pm that evening.

As for Lo Down, I wrote that email! When I became Manager of Snafu, I took the James Lavelle/Ian Brown Aftershow with me. Apologies for the confusion.[/quote']

Fair enough, but we weren't even asked if we had tickets for James Lavelle. They just noticed our AECC passes and told us to go to Lo Down.

I think there was a lot of people coming up to the door with various passes, etc. not to mention the obligatory blaggers that come hand in hand with a gig like this. Some idiot even said that when he was in the front row, Ian told him to meet him at Snafu afterwards?! Oh ok, we'll let you in then...

There was a ridiculous amount of name-dropping, etc. and I'm sure the doorman probably thought it would be easier to send everyone to Lo Down, who were also advertising an "Official" Ian Brown Aftershow.

For shows of that size' date=' the bands bring their own PA, lighting etc,[/quote']

Correct.

so if the sound is not up to scratch' date=' blame the PA company employed by the acts management, not the AECC.[/quote']

Incorrect. You could have the most expensive, greatest P.A. system and the sound in the AECC would still be nothing short of s-h-i-t-e.

Said it before and i'll say it again - It's not a music venue - Don't go to the Exhibition centre expecting anything less than abysml acoustics. In fact, that's true for most large, Exhibition - type venues. A few of the smaller halls at the SECC get away with it - just - but Dr. Drakes sounded better than the Exhibtion Centre.

status quo sounded amazing in there the past 4 times i have seen them' date=' no sound complaints at all. Never heard of any problems with the Oasis gig or Franz Ferdinand.

SECC sounded amazing when i went to see deftones there again no sound complaints so i dunno about what you are saying.[/quote']

I saw Deftones at SECC too - the sound was alright, but I didn't think they were that great that night anyway. Saw them at Leeds earlier that year and they were 10 times better. That show was in a smaller hall. That's why it sounded better than it would have in the main hall.

Every show i've seen at the AECC has sounded terrible - that's why I don't go there anymore.

The venue is a "biscuit tin" and is not designed for musical enjoyment or acoustic perfection.

I'm saying you will always get better sound in a smaller venue than an exibition centre. Don't be disappointed if you go to a gig at the Exhibition Centre and the sound is rubbbish. Because it will be.

I saw Deftones at SECC too - the sound was alright' date=' but I didn't think they were that great that night anyway. Saw them at Leeds earlier that year and they were 10 times better. That show was in a smaller hall. That's why it sounded better than it would have in the main hall.

Every show i've seen at the AECC has sounded terrible - that's why I don't go there anymore.

The venue is a "biscuit tin" and is not designed for musical enjoyment or acoustic perfection.

I'm saying you will always get better sound in a smaller venue than an exibition centre. Don't be disappointed if you go to a gig at the Exhibition Centre and the sound is rubbbish. Because it will be.[/quote']

again i beg to differ have you been to kef lately???? lol

I dont suppose you read the bit where i said status quo have sounded amazing everytime i have seen them in the AECC.....

I can see what you are saying but to say every gig in these kinda places sounds rubbish is a bit far, as i say i have never had any problems sound wise with the gigs i have been to in the Exibition centre, christ even the Stereophonics sounded not that bad in there and that is saying something.

It would also depend on where you are standing in the venue, what band is playing, who is doing the sound, who is supplying the sound gear ect, not just the size of the venue.

:love:

again i beg to differ have you been to kef lately???? lol

I dont suppose you read the bit where i said status quo have sounded amazing everytime i have seen them in the AECC.....

I can see what you are saying but to say every gig in these kinda places sounds rubbish is a bit far' date=' as i say i have never had any problems sound wise with the gigs i have been to in the Exibition centre, christ even the Stereophonics sounded not that bad in there and that is saying something.

It would also depend on where you are standing in the venue, what band is playing, who is doing the sound, who is supplying the sound gear ect, not just the size of the venue.[/quote']

Haven't been to Kef since 3 Colours Red I think, so I wouldn't really know.

Of course I read the bit about the Quo - I believe you that the sound was amazing - but it would have been better if it was in a "proper" music venue (maybe doing 2 nights to accomodate the large amount of folk who attended.) In other words the sound was amazing for the AECC. I'm not saying there is no middle ground - some acts will sound better than others at the Exhibition Centre due to PA's, engineers etc as you rightfuly say, but there is a certain limit to how good a band can sound in a cavernous arena with poorly designed acoustics.

Do you work at the AECC?

:love:

Haven't been to Kef since 3 Colours Red I think' date=' so I wouldn't really know.

Of course I read the bit about the Quo - I believe you that the sound was amazing - but it would have been better if it was in a "proper" music venue (maybe doing 2 nights to accomodate the large amount of folk who attended.) In other words the sound was amazing [i']for the AECC. I'm not saying there is no middle ground - some acts will sound better than others at the Exhibition Centre due to PA's, engineers etc as you rightfuly say, but there is a certain limit to how good a band can sound in a cavernous arena with poorly designed acoustics.

Do you work at the AECC?

all good points, as i say i just thought it was a bit unjust saying that if you go to a gig in the AECC it will sound shit, yes there prob is a good chance it may do, i seem to have been lucky and not had any problems personally but then not every gig is the same.

nah i dont work there, im just an argumentative cunt when im bored :D

but there is a certain limit to how good a band can sound in a cavernous arena with poorly designed acoustics.

I'm with you on this one. The AECC has a concrete floor and a curved steel roof. Plus there are no walls as such' date=' at the sides of the 'concert area', instead the sound travels all the way to the edges of the arena... then echoes back.

The concert area is also (even assuming it had side walls) is wider than it is long, which doesn't help either.

The rig they had in for this gig was in fact a very good one. So no excuses there.

And IMO you are correct in thinking that the bigger the venue, the harder it becomes to get a good sound. That's just physics. What makes matters worse is that the people who design these places seldom seem to consult with a sound engineer...

Here is my personal understanding of what is desirable:

1) A [u']cuboid box with proportioned so that height=width, and length is twice width. The minimum width should be ~4m, a bass wave requires that space to form properly. Well... actually it requires around 5m, but for the purposes of live music, speakers tend not to produce much below 20Hz, so you get away with 4m. The Moorings is only 4.5m wide and we manage to 'shake the floor'.

2) The room should be free from obstructions (pillars for instance), and should be constructed from a mixture of materials, including plenty that absorb sound energy. Wood is a good general purpose choice, especially for the floor. The floor should be flat - sound doesn't properly negotiate stairs.

3) The room should be as neutral as possible. It is desireable for the walls and ceilings to be deadened so that they do not resonate at any frequencies, and especially lower frequencies.

4) The PA requires around 50W RMS speaker power per head of audience (depending on speaker efficiency). Note this is approx the power of your typical home HiFi... per head!!!

5) The bass speakers should be positioned on the floor. The hi-mid speakers should be positioned at the approx height of the performers head. there should be a certain amount of toe in so that the sound cover the whole room, with maximum energy expended on the space, and minimum energy expended on the walls

I'll stop there.

Very few places fit that template. Some places get everything wrong, yet still manage to pull off decent sound, but usually because they have a decent engineer in place for a long time, and the installation is gradually refined. Familiarity helps.

The approach that we took was to adapt our room to be as close the the pefect room as we can make it (although it's still far from it), and then compensate for inadequacies with a high quality rig, carefully setup delay speakers, and decent mics. We also spent a lot of time learning how to control the sound on our stage. The little box is very very dead!

IMO the closest thing in Aberdeen to a perfect room is probably The Forum, but I've never seen anyone take a decent rig in there. Multiply The Moorings FOH rig by 3 and install that in The Forum, and I reckon you'd get a great sound.

But the AECC... pah bollocks! They'd be better of holding gigs in a circus tent LMAO!

Guest bluesxman

Ian Brown's dodgy vocals are legendary and my first witness to them was buying The Stone Roses Live In Blackpool vid and hearing him murder every song. I thought his solo stuff suited his limited vocal capabilities better and after seeing him at The Barrowlands and Music Hall where his vocals seemed fine I looked forward to this, but it was embarrassingly awful. It marked the second occasion I've dragged my girlfriend to see him (I tried to blag the poor TITP gig as the festivals sound system at fault) and I can't see her falling for it again. I think I'll just stick to the albums from now on myself actually. He seems to have constant problems with the sound, I'm starting to wonder if he actually has a hearing problem which explains out of tune vocals and constant need to have the sound levels adjusted....

I'm pretty much convinced I shall never attend a gig at the AECC again. Running out of beer half way through the evening, a full on scrap in front of one bar with no security intervention, wonderful stuff....

Ian Brown's dodgy vocals are legendary and my first witness to them was buying The Stone Roses Live In Blackpool vid and hearing him murder every song. I thought his solo stuff suited his limited vocal capabilities better and after seeing him at The Barrowlands and Music Hall where his vocals seemed fine I looked forward to this' date=' but it was embarrassingly awful. It marked the second occasion I've dragged my girlfriend to see him (I tried to blag the poor TITP gig as the festivals sound system at fault) and I can't see her falling for it again. I think I'll just stick to the albums from now on myself actually. He seems to have constant problems with the sound, I'm starting to wonder if he actually has a hearing problem which explains out of tune vocals and constant need to have the sound levels adjusted....[/quote']

Perhaps they forgot to pack the modulator and auto-tune.

Guest bluesxman
and Ian Brown is a talentless twat!

I would say that's very harsh. His solo stuff has been inventive and surprising move for someone largely known for guitar based indie pop. He also has some of the most intriguing ideas and lyrical subjects I've heard. Some of it may be mumbo jumbo but it's much more interesting than your run of the mill stuff. His solo albums have shown a gradual progression in standard. Pity the live vocals are so haphazard.....