aberdeen-music

Larkin Grimm + The Kitchen Cynics + Lese Majesty

chilli

interesting music are delighted to announce we have a lovely precursor to Terrastock 6

Festival featuring two artists that are going to make this fantastic festival, well fantastic.

If you cant make Providence RI USA in mid April, catch them now, with exciting newcomer

to the area Lese Majesty. I say GREAT line up!!!

Tues 14th March 06

The Tunnels

Aberdeen

featuring:-

Larkin Grimm

The Kitchen Cynics

Lese Majesty

Entry 5

Doors 8pm

Larkin Grimm

(now based in Providence, RI) was born in a Memphis, TN commune and grew up in Dahlonega, Georgia in the foothills of the Appalachians with a family of singers and fiddlers. Harpoon, her debut CD, reflects these rustic influences through a modern, psychedelic filter. Larkin's intense, ecstatic voice with swirling multi-tracked patterns recalls the richness of Illuminations-period Buffy Sainte-Marie and the sparkle of Linda Perhacs. Her instrumentation includes duclimer, pennywhistle, bells, drums and guitar. Larkin was previously a member of the Dirty Projectors (Western Vinyl) where she astounded audiences with her mesmerizing voice. She has also played shows with folks such as Entrance, the Microphones, Old Time Relijun and her brother Joe Grimm's project the Wind Up Bird. Larkin also toured with Viking Moses following her performance with him at the Arthur Festival in Los Angeles. Larkin Grimm is a very special artist and Harpoon is a truly magical recording.

REVIEWS

"A fierce, inspired musical spirit." - Dave Longstreth of Dirty Projectors

"With ghostly vocal layering and minimal instrumentation, Larkin couldn't have been aiming for more than a marginal audience. A one-string bass, a sloppy drum kit, and a lullaby of a guitar waver in the background like the cross-dressed birthchild of Little Wings and Devendra Banhart. But the album's deeply confessional tone inevitably seduces every loveless scrooge." - Adriane Quinlan, Yale Herald

www.larkingrimm.com

The Kitchen Cynics

The local legend and longstanding Folk/Psych practitioner plays on the same bill as Larkin Grimm in advance of repeating the task in April at Terrastock 6 in Providence, Rhode Island, USA.

".. could be joining the likes of the Fence Collective, Lucky Luke and Scatter as rulers of Scotland's skewed folk realm" (Beard UK)

imp Alan is firing on top form, come catch him now.........

www.myspace.com/kitchencynics

Lese Majesty

is sometimes called Laesas Majestas, who are also sometimes called Julian Lynch. Julian Lynch was the name given to the man who is called Julian Lynch. The name was given to him by his parents. Julian Lynch likes the name Walter. Walter was the middle name of Julian Lynch's grandfather. John Walter Lynch was not a musician. Julian Lynch is sometimes called a musician. His music is called all sorts of things. His music has been performed with lovely people such as Jason Anderson, of K RECORDS, the Castanets, of Asthmatic Kitty Records, and Justin Clifford Rhody, of Friends and Relatives Records.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

interesting music are delighted to announce we have a lovely precursor to Terrastock 6

Festival featuring two artists that are going to make this fantastic festival' date=' well fantastic.

If you cant make Providence RI USA in mid April, catch them now, with exciting newcomer

to the area Lese Majesty. I say GREAT line up!!!

Tues 14th March 06

The Tunnels

Aberdeen

featuring:-

Larkin Grimm

The Kitchen Cynics

Lese Majesty

Entry 5

Doors 8pm

Larkin Grimm

(now based in Providence, RI) was born in a Memphis, TN commune and grew up in Dahlonega, Georgia in the foothills of the Appalachians with a family of singers and fiddlers. Harpoon, her debut CD, reflects these rustic influences through a modern, psychedelic filter. Larkin's intense, ecstatic voice with swirling multi-tracked patterns recalls the richness of Illuminations-period Buffy Sainte-Marie and the sparkle of Linda Perhacs. Her instrumentation includes duclimer, pennywhistle, bells, drums and guitar. Larkin was previously a member of the Dirty Projectors (Western Vinyl) where she astounded audiences with her mesmerizing voice. She has also played shows with folks such as Entrance, the Microphones, Old Time Relijun and her brother Joe Grimm's project the Wind Up Bird. Larkin also toured with Viking Moses following her performance with him at the Arthur Festival in Los Angeles. Larkin Grimm is a very special artist and Harpoon is a truly magical recording.

REVIEWS

"A fierce, inspired musical spirit." - Dave Longstreth of Dirty Projectors

"With ghostly vocal layering and minimal instrumentation, Larkin couldn't have been aiming for more than a marginal audience. A one-string bass, a sloppy drum kit, and a lullaby of a guitar waver in the background like the cross-dressed birthchild of Little Wings and Devendra Banhart. But the album's deeply confessional tone inevitably seduces every loveless scrooge." - Adriane Quinlan, Yale Herald

[url']www.larkingrimm.com

The Kitchen Cynics

The local legend and longstanding Folk/Psych practitioner plays on the same bill as Larkin Grimm in advance of repeating the task in April at Terrastock 6 in Providence, Rhode Island, USA.

".. could be joining the likes of the Fence Collective, Lucky Luke and Scatter as rulers of Scotland's skewed folk realm" (Beard UK)

imp Alan is firing on top form, come catch him now.........

www.myspace.com/kitchencynics

Lese Majesty

is sometimes called Laesas Majestas, who are also sometimes called Julian Lynch. Julian Lynch was the name given to the man who is called Julian Lynch. The name was given to him by his parents. Julian Lynch likes the name Walter. Walter was the middle name of Julian Lynch's grandfather. John Walter Lynch was not a musician. Julian Lynch is sometimes called a musician. His music is called all sorts of things. His music has been performed with lovely people such as Jason Anderson, of K RECORDS, the Castanets, of Asthmatic Kitty Records, and Justin Clifford Rhody, of Friends and Relatives Records.

the dirty projectors link sounds good, might try and make it along.

Larkin's album is great...very intense. the song, 'Harpoon Baptism' is my number one song of the moment......"I am standing on the pier with a spear in one hand, and my sweet golden heart in the other. Which one do you want : heart or harpoon?" She likes Lightning Bolt and Slayer, too!!!!

You can check her stuff out at http://www.myspace.com/larkingrimm

or at the Secret Eye site... www.secreteye.org

I'll be doing a set pretty close to the one I'll do at Terrastock....my own personal favourite songs. Thanks for the nice comments, Chilli! After Terrastock I'll probably just do two more gigs back in Aberdeen before dropping off the live radar for a while, to concentrate on recording.

alan' date=' please tell me a man of your calibour has more than one guitar![/quote']

Yep....but I prefer my little 'Shapelywood' travel one, even though I have now caused its little heart to break. The only other ones I use live are my old lute guitar (used once at Kilau) and a 64 Jazzmaster, but I like the travel one because it gets onto aeroplanes no problem.

(oh...I once used a battery operated thing which cost me about 16 quid...it was a disaster!!!)

Larkin's album is great...very intense. the song' date=' 'Harpoon Baptism' is my number one song of the moment......"I am standing on the pier with a spear in one hand, and my sweet golden heart in the other. Which one do you want : heart or harpoon?" She likes Lightning Bolt and Slayer, too!!!!

You can check her stuff out at [url']http://www.myspace.com/larkingrimm

or at the Secret Eye site... www.secreteye.org

I'll be doing a set pretty close to the one I'll do at Terrastock....my own personal favourite songs. Thanks for the nice comments, Chilli! After Terrastock I'll probably just do two more gigs back in Aberdeen before dropping off the live radar for a while, to concentrate on recording.

thought i would remind people of this lovely event, featuring a sandwich of Americans

filled with soft centre Cynic 8) 8) 8)

I would say everybody who likes off kilter wyrdfolky stuff would love Larkin. I know Belladonnaleaves already does.

I still haven't heard Lese Majesty yet' date=' to my shame.[/quote']

What will you be using instrument wise for this? Is your guitar unplayable? :down:

Nah..it's OK. I poured some cheap wood glue into it' date=' then stuffed it with socks to get the table flat again. It seems to be holding together, just, (like myself). Mind you it was a bugger getting the socks out, as they were glued to the inside of the guitar :)[/quote']

You sure it was just glue sticking the socks? o_O :D

• 2 weeks later...

& for the lazy here's her fav's........ know where have i heard about lightning bolt

Lightning Bolt, Lucky Dragons, Dirty Projectors, Tyrannosaurus Rex, The Bulgarian National Chorus, Indonesian Gamelan, Cat Power, Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton, The Georgia Potlickers, The Carter Family, Forcefield, The Microphones/Mount Eerie, Dame Janet Baker, Wagner, Diamanda Galas, Nirvana, Bjork, Ravel, The Cranberries, The Breeders, Caetano Veloso, Nick Drake, Yoko Ono, Thanksgiving, Bobby Birdman, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, Mia Doi Todd, Billy Ray Cyrus, Led Zeppelin, DMBQ, Slayer, Throne of Blood, The Boredoms, Fursaxa, Wizzards, Brian Wilson, Fleetwood Mac, Becky Stark, Josephine Foster, Gilberto Gil, Blondie, Madonna, Laurie Anderson, Lou Reed, Robert Johnson, John Fahey, Sonic Youth, Dead Kennedys, Jean Ritchie, Kate Bush, Javelin, The Incredible String Band, Amadeus Mozart, Kites, Mudboy, Indigo Girls, Folk musics of all kinds, and everyone else except the Beatles.

Now that George is gone' date=' will Paul & Ringo be the 'Twootles'?

Whatever....the Larkin gig is shaping up to be one of those ace Interesting Music nights that everyone talks about for ages after. I'm nervous!![/quote']

I would come along if I didn't have an interview the next day at 9 am...