aberdeen-music

Profanity in the forum?

Guest Neubeatz

OK I said I'm not trolling' date=' and I didnt specifically say "swearing", I meant profanity

Right, so when my mates 12yo daughter who is just getting into music logs on to read a thread about Ceebeebees star Fearne Cotton and reads the content, what do you think she'll think of the site?

He mentioned this subject when I showed him this cool music site...

My three children could all swear for 20mins without repeating themselves after a couple of years of primary school....its something you cant shield your kids from as soon as they venture out into the world.

You must have a very short memory or been very sheltered, I can remember being twelve, cant you?

The only things that I find offensive are chavs/neds, politically correct people, trolls, and those over sensitive types who go about looking to be offended all the time. I hope they all fucking die. Soon.

BTW lets just consider why it's termed 'political correctness'? LMAO - did that never occur to any of it's proponents. You want to make the world a better place then start by learning to STFU!

A little kid aged under 5 called me a cunt in passing the other day. He didn't learn that surfing Aberdeen-Music. The fucker that dressed him chav tartan is almost certainly to blame. I was going to kick his head in, but he was a lot smaller than me, so I just threw him in front of a fast moving lorry instead. Nobody noticed.

My three children could all swear for 20mins without repeating themselves after a couple of years of primary school....its something you cant shield your kids from as soon as they venture out into the world.

You must have a very short memory or been very sheltered' date=' I can remember being twelve, cant you?[/quote']

I think you missed his point. He was discussing the appropriate-ness of the content; in relation to the thread mentioned, it was about overtly graphic and sexual discussion - not just the vocabulary used.

Your twelve year-old daughter wouldn't be allowed to register on this site. It's reserved for 13s and over.

He wasn't talking about his, daughter, but that of a friend's.

I know you have to draw a line somewhere, and people will always just lie to get on a forum if they want to, but I struggle to see how the fearne cotton thread is appropriate for a 13 year old, and not for a 12 year old.

Personally it doesn't bother me, just trying to clarify points.

Guest Neubeatz

You must have a very short memory or been very sheltered' date=' I can remember being twelve, cant you?[/quote']

Thank you for missing the point G. Read the F Cotton thread again to see examples.

Your twelve year-old daughter wouldn't be allowed to register on this site. It's reserved for 13s and over.

Thank you Dave, it's my mates 12yo daughter,

Guest Neubeatz
The only things that I find offensive are chavs/neds' date=' politically correct people, trolls, and those over sensitive types who go about looking to be offended all the time. I hope they all fucking die. Soon.

BTW lets just consider why it's termed 'political correctness'? LMAO - did that never occur to any of it's proponents. You want to make the world a better place then start by learning to STFU!

A little kid aged under 5 called me a cunt in passing the other day. He didn't learn that surfing Aberdeen-Music. The fucker that dressed him chav tartan is almost certainly to blame. I was going to kick his head in, but he was a lot smaller than me, so I just threw him in front of a fast moving lorry instead. Nobody noticed.[/quote']

Havent you got some glasses to wash and toilets to clean?

bastard isn't a profanity

If it's come to the stage where you call your enemy a bastard as a derogatory term, i think it's easy to class as at least a taboo, let alone profanity. Like frosty said you can offend people just as much by using non-swear words, like prudes, tampons, spastic and so on.

If you're worried about how appropriate the content ofthe site is, regarding it's context, the simple solution is: block phat tom and thurizaz. Bingo.

To be honest the 'Cotton thread' bothered me quite a bit, and I was actually on the point of deleting it. However I wasn't 100 per cent sure, so decided to leave it up, keep an eye on it, and wait to see if anyone reported it. Nobody did, so it's still there. Maybe that was wrong, I'm still not sure, but it was a close run thing.

You can't really complain about a thread if you haven't actually reported it. That's what the facility is there for...

Guest MerryChristmas
If it's come to the stage where you call your enemy a bastard as a derogatory term' date=' i think it's easy to class as at least a taboo, let alone profanity. Like frosty said you can offend people just as much by using non-swear words, like prudes, tampons, spastic and so on.

If you're worried about how appropriate the content ofthe site is, regarding it's context, the simple solution is: block phat tom and thurizaz. Bingo.[/quote']

you little girl! o_O

• 2 months later...
If it's come to the stage where you call your enemy a bastard as a derogatory term' date=' i think it's easy to class as at least a taboo, let alone profanity. Like frosty said [b']you can offend people just as much by using non-swear words, like prudes, tampons, spastic and so on.

Shut up you tampon. :up:

Swear words appear on heaps of films at around the 12 certificate in the cinema... Shit' date=' even in Indiana Jones (which is a PG) the word bastard is used. Get over it n00b-eats, unless you know toddlers who are reading this forum it shouldn't be a big deal.[/quote']

Even Transformers the Movie said shit. If its ok there, i think we should encourage its use in the classrooms :up:

I think you missed his point. He was discussing the appropriate-ness of the content; in relation to the thread mentioned' date=' it was about overtly graphic and sexual discussion - not just the vocabulary used.

He wasn't talking about his, daughter, but that of a friend's.

I know you have to draw a line somewhere, and people will always just lie to get on a forum if they want to, but I struggle to see how the fearne cotton thread is appropriate for a 13 year old, and not for a 12 year old.

Personally it doesn't bother me, just trying to clarify points.[/quote']

You find me a 13 year old that doesn't swear and I'll be amazed.

The only things that I find offensive are chavs/neds' date=' politically correct people, trolls, and those over sensitive types who go about looking to be offended all the time. I hope they all fucking die. Soon.

A little kid aged under 5 called me a cunt in passing the other day. He didn't learn that surfing Aberdeen-Music. The fucker that dressed him chav tartan is almost certainly to blame. I was going to kick his head in, but he was a lot smaller than me, so I just threw him in front of a fast moving lorry instead. Nobody noticed.[/quote']

:love: hero

To be honest the 'Cotton thread' bothered me quite a bit' date=' and I was actually on the point of deleting it. However I wasn't 100 per cent sure, so decided to leave it up, keep an eye on it, and wait to see if anyone reported it. Nobody did, so it's still there. Maybe that was wrong, I'm still not sure, but it was a close run thing.

You can't really complain about a thread if you haven't actually reported it. That's what the facility is there for...[/quote']

Where is this "Cotton thread" you speak of? I am intrigued and would like to read it now.

Does it relate to ear buds? I have been addicted to those since 1997 when Laura pushed them on me. That reminds me... time for a bud. Ciao!