aberdeen-music

Profanity in the forum?

Guest Neubeatz

Guest Neubeatz

So over the time I have been a member here, I look at what people get banned for here, and then read a forum full of literature that should have a pg rating, and I see double standards, hypocrasy, and discrimination.

Whats all that about then.

No I'm not trolling just raising awareness off something that concerns me.

Guest tv tanned

I swear too much in real life. I've decided to try and be more flexible with my vocabulary on here. I will also try it out in real life.

Sometimes you just need to utter a swear word though...

i would be interested to hear what the mods/admins have to say about this, cant say i've spotted double standards myself but i think i see where your coming from neubeatz.

its just a message board though, lets not lose sight of this. (unless theres something specific that concerns you?)

No it's not:

"I don't have a fucking clue"=not abusive

"You don't have a fucking clue' date=' you cock"=abusive[/quote']

The implication of a swear word can be abusive or offend someone, doesn't matter what context its used in. Some people are offended by the use of swear words in general and find that an 'abuse' of their use of forums.

I'm not one of them by the way :p

Guest MerryChristmas
Swear words appear on heaps of films at around the 12 certificate in the cinema... Shit' date=' even in Indiana Jones (which is a PG) the word bastard is used. Get over it n00b-eats, unless you know toddlers who are reading this forum it shouldn't be a big deal.[/quote']

bastard isn't a profanity

No it's not:

"I don't have a fucking clue"=not abusive

"You don't have a fucking clue' date=' you cock"=abusive[/quote']

Exactly. You can swear without being offensive, and you can be offensive without swearing.

Personally I moderate in terms of what someone is saying, not which words they use to do so. There are some posters that I'm quite close to banning right now for being unnecessarily abusive, and it's nothing to do with swearing.

Guest Neubeatz

OK I said I'm not trolling, and I didnt specifically say "swearing", I meant profanity

Right, so when my mates 12yo daughter who is just getting into music logs on to read a thread about Ceebeebees star Fearne Cotton and reads the content, what do you think she'll think of the site?

He mentioned this subject when I showed him this cool music site...