aberdeen-music

Opium

hamsterpants

Guest scott cs.

i'm guessing it's some sort of nightclub?

if they are looking for staff, where would i go to get an application form or phone number? the old esco site? i dunno where that is...

Much as though I'd love to see a bit more variety in Aberdeen - I think that a club along the lines of Edinburgh's Opium opening would be the worst thing that could happen ... there just isn't enough interest in the rock/alternative 'scene' up here and you'd end up with two half empty clubs instead of one fairly full one.

Sounds like it's gonna be more like the clientelle from the old Escobar though .... who were pretty much posing hipsters.

Much as though I'd love to see a bit more variety in Aberdeen - I think that a club along the lines of Edinburgh's Opium opening would be the worst thing that could happen ... there just isn't enough interest in the rock/alternative 'scene' up here and you'd end up with two half empty clubs instead of one fairly full one.

Sounds like it's gonna be more like the clientelle from the old Escobar though .... who were pretty much posing hipsters.

I wouldnt know, I was cunted everytime I was in there pretty much, I remember it was dark. And I remember the Absinthe, and taking a piss off the bridge at 4 in the morning.

Doesnt sound like its going to be the same, think itll be more mainstream orientated. Who cares, Im sick of hearing the same songs every fucking week in Moshulu, bring it on!

Here's a list of all the historic alternative clubs / club nights that I can recall. Perhaps someone can help add to this, or fill in more detail. Jimsin - you probably remember a few of these:

Ritzy's / Bonkers / The Palace

----------------------------------

Monday - Mudd Club, this is a trad goth night, because back then there were only trad goths. Think this started about '88 and ran until about '96 on and off, drastically changing along the way.

Thurday - The Rock Night. Think this started about '88 and ran until June '96. I remember Smurf being one of the DJs.

Friday - Friday Mud Club. This was upstairs and ran during from 92-onwards Big Daz was the DJ for a spell in 97-98.

Caeser's Palace (Crown Street, above Tattlers)

------------------

Tuesday - some sort of rock night. From around 1989-1992.

Friday - Some sort of rock night. From around 1989-1992.

Saturday afternoons - Death/Thrash Metal, some sort of underage thing.

Saturday nights - live bands and some sort of disco playing rock.

The Drift Inn

---------------

Not a club, but was certtainly an institution so worth including. Home of the Saturday afternoon jam session for many years up until the mid 90s.

The Venue (Underneath The Douglas Hotel)

------------

Live bands and alt discos most nights. This place was the best. Shutdown in 1989.

The New Venue

------------------

Located at The Neptune Bar, tried to take over where the venue left off. Ran during 1991-1992.

TJ's (The bassment of Roslyn Sports, not sure what this is now, probably Bud Bar).

----

Briefly operated a Thursday rock night when Ritzy's stopped doing it.

Cousins (The Soda Fountain)

---------

There was also some sort of rock night here for a short spell circa 1988-1990.

The Sloe Club

----------------

The RGIT Students Union, ran a decent alt disco on a Friday for many years. DJ Paul. Circa '87-'97. This was where the RGU shop is now. But students only.

Glider

-------

Sort of alt disco in the Hotel Metro in a back room crica '96-'97.

The Blue Lamp Function Suite

----------------------------------

Ran an alt disco upstairs from the 70s through to the late 80s.

Buskers (Drakes building)

---------

Ran a Friday rock disco from 1995-1997. Gizmo was the DJ.

Zig Zags (above Cafe Ici)

----------

Ran something on a Tuesday for a few scant weeks in 1994.

The Cotton Club

-------------------

Ran something for a while after The Palace shut circa 2002.

That's all I can remember for now.

As you can see it was very patchy, with most people spending their time waiting for some mythical alternative club to open. With the exception of when The Venue was still operating, you have it better now than we ever had it back then. At least there is somewhere to go...