aberdeen-music

The NME Media Player

Swingin' Ryan

I just signed up to this free 'My NME' thing on the website to hear some new Concretes tracks and just realised that this allows me to listen to streamings of full albums on the media player. Newly released albums aswell, for example the new Strokes album.

Is this allowed? Obviously it's not full quality but there's at least 10 albums on here that I can listen to in full without buying them and I'd imagine there's various pieces of software that would allow me to record this in some way if I so desired (which I don't).

Yep, this is allowed and numerous other people are doing it as well (MTV for example: http://www.mtv.com/music). The idea behind it I guess is that by allowing you to hear the whole album at a less-than-CD quality then this will encourage you to go out and buy it or legally download it from iTunes or whatever if you really like it. Not sure if this actually works in practice however.

Like you point out you can't actually download these tracks (just like you can't download the tracks on aberdeen-music radio or similair) - but if you are determined enough then funnily enough you can capture the audio on your PC. I think this would be more hassle than it's worth though to be honest.

Yep' date=' this is allowed and numerous other people are doing it as well (MTV for example: [url']http://www.mtv.com/music). The idea behind it I guess is that by allowing you to hear the whole album at a less-than-CD quality then this will encourage you to go out and buy it or legally download it from iTunes or whatever if you really like it. Not sure if this actually works in practice however.

Like you point out you can't actually download these tracks (just like you can't download the tracks on aberdeen-music radio or similair) - but if you are determined enough then funnily enough you can capture the audio on your PC. I think this would be more hassle than it's worth though to be honest.

Yeh, I don't imagine there's a lot of people bothering to record it, but the whole thing seems strange. You could sit and listen to the new Strokes and Franz Ferdinand albums anytime you want without ever buying it, downloading it or having to download it illegally (albeit you couldn't listen to it on the move).

It's a good idea in principle as it lets you "try before you buy" in a way, but people generally buy albums after hearing a couple of songs on the bands website/MySpace etc. Obviously most music fans are going to buy the album anyway so they can have the full quality and actually own the CD, but for a lot of casual fans access to the whole album streamed on the internet would suffice.

Anyway, cheers for the info :up: