aberdeen-music

Emergenza Aberdeen Event Info.

Emergenza

Due to a great response in Aberdeen, the event will now be held at The Tunnels seeing the best band straight to the Scottish Final @ Carling Academy, Glasgow.

We look forward to a crackin' event checking out the local talent this year in Aberdeen.

There is still time to enrol your band: closing date for entry 28th February.

www.emergenza.net

Nope, that's what you said.

"Due to a great response in Aberdeen, the event will now be held at The Tunnels"

What you meant was

"The event will be held at the tunnels and, due to a great response in Aberdeen, the winner now goes straight to the Scottish Final @ Carling Academy, Glasgow.(instead of a regional final in Dundee)"

OK Soundian' date=' well put. At the end of the day the point being the event is at Tunnels, band straight to Carling...all good!

Chris, these points have been covered on another post (in trading?) Please refer to this and hopefully this will answer your concerns.[/quote']

har!

you just cant say anything anymore without being shouted at..

im fairly sure the point was due to the good shit that happened last year it was going to be happening again.. and happening at the tunnels..

:gringo:

No, actually you are paying money to enrol with a company and this is a one-off fee for life. This is to avoid time-wasters. All bands that turn up to their first gig receive Ernie Ball string for bass and guitar, Regal Tip sticks and a Remo drum skin. They also have full use of our website as a promotional tool to plug gigs and play MP3s on our radio show. Enrolment also means they are offered guest slots across the world. For example, Hot Mangu (Aberdeen) recently played Edinburgh with us, Kobai (E.Kilbride) are going on a 6-date tour of Gemany this month and Secrets We've Told (Dundee) recently played 3 dates in New York. Not band for a one-off enrolment fee, eh?

As for selling tickets in order to get paid. What do you want us to do? Put on a free gig, charge nothing, sell no tickets and pay all the bands? With what? Shirt buttons and confidence? lol

As for selling tickets in order to get paid. What do you want us to do? Put on a free gig' date=' charge nothing, sell no tickets and pay all the bands? With what? Shirt buttons and confidence? lol[/quote']

No, you as the promoter sell the tickets. Do your job and you get paid accordingly. The bands play the music, do their job and get paid accordingly.

Currently you're asking the bands to do your job, their job AND pay for the privilege

Aaah, therein the lies the confusion...we are not promoters. We do not do gigs week in, week out, nor are we tied to any venue but instead we run a worldwide competition. We are Event Managers and as such our job is very different to a local promoter. We travel to meet all bands on several occassions, giving them our sole attention and ensuring we offer the best gigs we possibly can, we pay for the books of tickets (and we do not ask bands to pay for tickets they don't sell, as many promoters would), we pay for posters to help the bands advertise the gig, we organise a top-of-the-range backline for all gigs, we organise all press advertising, we sponsor pages in NME and Kerrang to have our bands reviewed, we book the venue and pay for it in full, we organise and pay presenting and technical staff and we pay for larger venues, where bands often don't get to play, such as the Carling Academy, we pay expenses for top music industry judges to attend these events so they can advise our bands. Bands playing London or Germany do this all expenses paid and we pay for tours across the world for our bands outwith the competition. As you can see, there is a bit more to what we do than just promoting a local gig. I believe we do our part and all we ask is that bands do their part and in return they are paid for their efforts. There's no big nasty plan here! What do you know about us? Have you ever met us or played with us? Obviously not. I see a band on here that has played with us and they don't seem to have any complaints. The proof is in the pudding.

Anyway, I have played with many local promoters in the past and it's a case of, you might get paid, you might not depending on attendance. So, my old band had a decent following and most of the punters came in thru us but as the other bands didn't and no-one came to support them, we didn't get paid, as the promoter needed all profits from the night to cover his costs! At least this way you get paid fairly and supposing the night was empty, then it is our loss, not the bands.

At least this way you get paid fairly and supposing the night was empty' date=' then it is our loss, not the bands.[/quote']

Except for the 45 enrolment fee.

Since the maximum profit for the band is 5 (plus some strings etc, which they probably won't use because they're a different gauge/make to what they normally use) I fail to see how that's fairly paid. Especially since you get 245 if the band gets 5.

What is the deal with spicing a story up to make us look shit? Red Man Walking, you were not intentionally 'put on last' but that was the best slot available to you, as bands are allocated slots in order of enrolment. Damn, you could've wound up with first on! You played it in its very first year in Glasgow and the event was very small and unknown, hence why it was held in Rockers. Not the largest venue in the city but to give them their due, we held a decent gig there and there was a great atmosphere. To say that everyone had left is complete and utter nonsense. Sure, some people leave but most hang around to hear the result at the end. When you entered I told you, you probably didn't stand a chance competing against Glasgow bands but I kindly let you play the city (even although we generally don't allow this). I arranged a better ticket deal for you so you could help fund your trip. You turned up with no fan base and the only other way thru is by winning over other bands fans or having the other bands vote for you. It's not our fault they didn't vote for you. I was kind and considerate towards you, you shook my hand and thanked me for a great gig, saying it didn't matter that you didn't progress, as you were thankful of the opportunity of playing Glasgow, you asked me to bring the event up to Aberdeen, as it wasn't fair Aberdeen bands were missing out. I even said you could help us set it up and there would be some paid work in it for you! Now you're slating us on a forum? Gee, thanks mate. I am sick of bands with sour grapes. Why not look within for a reason why you didn't progress through the rounds instead of blaming us. You've the same chance as anyone else.

Soundian, I have already explained the reason for the enrolment fee, (which is one-off, bands can play with us year after year) and where our profits go: venues, reviews, band tours and the biggest stage (after the main stage) at Tauberal Festival, Germany, so I am not going to tread old ground.

As for: (plus some strings etc, which they probably won't use because they're a different gauge/make to what they normally use) oh my goodness. Talk about clutching at straws. The majority of bands are glad of the free consumables. I don't expect everyone to accept/like or love this event but some bands really enjoy playing it so why don't you guys just let them do what they want to do, you do what you want to do and stop scraping the barrel, trying to find faults.

Aye, so a company thinks "I know how to make shitloads of cash. What we'll do is we'll charge some bands 45, then give them some strings, sticks and skins, then give them some tickets to sell if they want, then let them play in some decent venues, and give them a decent backline, and if they win, we'll get them down to an even better venue. I know, we'll even get them gigs all over the world if they want. We'll totally make a packet by exploiting these folk."

Venues in Aberdeen used to make you sell tickets - don't know if they still do. Venues in town need used to need you to take your own backline, if not you could hire theirs, or hire some yourself. I worked out, it used to cost my band over 80 to play a gig in Aberdeen back in 1998.

Grow up people. It's really tiresome, eh?

• 4 months later...
From the Emergenza website: "In 150 cities across America and Europe' date=' Emergenza provided a fully equipped stage, technical organization and [b']promotion for your show.

Anyone see any promotion for the show? I saw a few generic Emergenza posters up and around....but why promote when you can get people to sell tickets?

I too am bored of these discussions. Surely a band can decide for themselves what is good or bad and whether they should do it or not? So far, in Aberdeen, we collectivley seem to have rejected pay to play and I hope this continues but this will be up to the bands. Even if a venue decides to allow an outside promoter to do this style of event if the bands say no then, 'no gig'.

A band selling tickets given to them by a venue/promoter is not neccessarily pay to play. If there is not expectation for them to return percentage of the ticket sale to the venue then 'not pay to play'. It can be a way for a promoter to encourage a band to find their own fee or get all their mates into the gig for nowt. If you are given 100 tickets and expected to return £3 on each ticket with a contracted minimum sale of 30 tickets expected then 'pay to play'.

GIG' in Edinburgh was a big pay to play venue. It closed down!

:sleeping:

A story!

Band books gig in Glasgow (or any other city) and decide to play for £50 as it may be good exposure. They hire a van for X amount of squids, they need petrol, food, maybe digs. The drummer needs two new skins and the bassist new strings. The travel to the gig and play to 30 people not awfully interested, they travel home feeling they played a great gig and not too bothered about the fact that will have lost in the region of £60/70. We (bands) have been paying to play gigs forever and happily choosing to do so. Daft aren't we! :up:

again, this comes down to the fact that people think they know what's better for everyone else. if you don't like it, don't play it, but don't tell everyone else what they should/shouldn't do.

my band down here have played this and done well out of it but the simple fact is, we knew exactly what we were getting into when we signed up. there's nothing hidden from you. you pay this amount, get these tickets to sell, make this much off selling them and play gigs based on the concept of 'the more people who like you, the more chance you have of winning' hence you combine bringing lots of fans and friends with good crowd interaction and have a great chance of going through. if you make it to the carling, there are decent prizes on offer and a chance to play the carling with a decent sized crowd, which looks great in press packs.

aberdeen bands get it really easy with a straight path to the final. everyone else has a longer path to tread to get there and yet there are still complaints.

if you're scared of not operating at a profit, i strongly suggest you think twice about getting in a band in the first place.

/x

A story!

Band books gig in Glasgow (or any other city) and decide to play for 50 as it may be good exposure. They hire a van for X amount of squids' date=' they need petrol, food, maybe digs. The drummer needs two new skins and the bassist new strings. The travel to the gig and play to 30 people not awfully interested, they travel home feeling they played a great gig and not too bothered about the fact that will have lost in the region of 60/70. We (bands) have been paying to play gigs forever and happily choosing to do so. Daft aren't we! :up:[/quote']

But the promoter isn't raking in a large profit for doing nothing in that scenario, which is my gripe against pay to play.

if you do a wee googley search for "Hot Mangu"

you'll see quite a few listings for the gig we did on friday..

(well you could last week anyways)

so perhaps there was some promotion done for it

personally

we've done it two years in a row

and done well both times

last year we won the Aberdeen heat and we came 3rd in the Aberdeen/Dundee final

and this year we won the only Aberdeen heat and are going straight down to the final in Glasgow (with the Little Kicks too)

which is great (we think)

cos it means we get a chance to put on a show in front of what will hopefully be a good crowd of people and promote ourselves, sell some stuff, hand some stuff out etc. etc.

if you're in a band you usually want to do as many gigs as possible to get as much exposure as possible

thats exactly what we're doing with this competition

- in two years we've played to a packed out Kef, Fat Sams, Subway, Tunnels and soon Carling Academy.. nothing wrong with that really

we've lost no money (or at least no more than usual)

and its helped us sell a few cd's and get more mailing list contacts, gig contacts, band contacts

s'all good

:]