aberdeen-music

Saw Doctors @ Moshulu!!!!!!!

Guest Tommyboy

Guest Tommyboy

What is happening with the Lemon Tree?

Moshulu has in the next few months the delays, the rakes and in April the Saw Doctors.

have mentioned Saw Doctors on several occassios before to be told that they were too "big" for lemon tree.

Surely the LT has more clout than Moshulu.

i am on Saw Doctors mailing list and even mentioned LT to them when they said Music hall would not book them a couple of years ago and they ended up playing the garage in glasgow which is about the same size as the LT

Shortage of good gigs by reputable bands again. "regulars" fee now looking over inflated.

Only Buzzcocks and SLF (hope they're better than last year) worth going to

Come on lets have some decent gigs

what does it matter if the shows are at moshulu rather than the lemon tree?

seeing the band in a better venue that's better run is surely a good thing?

I prefer the sound in the Lemon Tree. Haven't been to a gig in Moshulu yet that has had good sound. Admittedly I've also been to lots of gigs at the LT that have had shit sound. But the majority have been good.

It's just glaringly obvious nobody with a clue is booking at the Lemon Tree now, although virtually going bust last year can't have helped.

Just realised my regulars membership expired last week, but as I only went to the place 10 times during the previous one I won't exactly be hurrying to replace it to see the overpriced tribute dross that propagates the place a couple of times as month. Pretty useless that the freebies that used to come fairly often have dried up as well.:swearing:

Got the latest programme a few days ago, usually find a couple of interesting surprises in the upcoming bit, this time absolutely nothing. Total waste of time

It's just glaringly obvious nobody with a clue is booking at the Lemon Tree now' date=' although virtually going bust last year can't have helped.

Just realised my regulars membership expired last week, but as I only went to the place 10 times during the previous one I won't exactly be hurrying to replace it to see the overpriced tribute dross that propagates the place a couple of times as month. Pretty useless that the freebies that used to come fairly often have dried up as well.:swearing:

Got the latest programme a few days ago, usually find a couple of interesting surprises in the upcoming bit, this time absolutely nothing. Total waste of time[/quote']

I renewed my membership at Christmas. I've only bought one ticket for this year so far and that saved me a fiver.

Hopefully, thing's will improve - the bands listed in the brochures and on the wesbite are the uninspiring I've seen in years at the venue.

Sic 1314 and French Disco. I think you should look a little closer and think a little broader at The Lemon Tree programme. Nickle Creek next week for one. Who else would bring them to Aberdeen. The Rootin' Aboot programme is one of the strongest ever. Dhol Foundation, Culture Clash, Peatbog Faeries, Flook all should not be missed and not forgetting Bonnie Prince Billy. Perhaps it should be accepted that the "cool" bands you're looking for may be playing elswhere. I still think the Regulars Scheme has got to be worth it even if you only go once a month but I wish the buggers would get organised with reminders. One of these days the box are not going to let me use my expired card and that would just be embarrassing. Come on, send out renewal reminders and make us feel wanted lest I cast up we're the wrong sort again!

I think you'll also find the person doing the booking has a pretty big clue and perhaps deserves credit for the place still being in existance at all.

Sic 1314 and French Disco. I think you should look a little closer and think a little broader at The Lemon Tree programme. Nickle Creek next week for one. Who else would bring them to Aberdeen. The Rootin' Aboot programme is one of the strongest ever. Dhol Foundation' date=' Culture Clash, Peatbog Faeries, Flook all should not be missed and not forgetting Bonnie Prince Billy. Perhaps it should be accepted that the "cool" bands you're looking for may be playing elswhere. I still think the Regulars Scheme has got to be worth it even if you only go once a month but I wish the buggers would get organised with reminders. One of these days the box are not going to let me use my expired card and that would just be embarrassing. Come on, send out renewal reminders and make us feel wanted lest I cast up we're the wrong sort again!

I think you'll also find the person doing the booking has a pretty big clue and perhaps deserves credit for the place still being in existance at all.[/quote']

you'll have to give me some MP3s of the bands you mention. I only renewed my membership after Bonnie Prince Billy was playing.

Not sure who the "cool" bands are that are playing elsewhere.....

may take advantage of some the free gigs on offer for regulars - nothing to lose it's not to my taste and everything to gain if it is.

Guest bluesxman
Me neither!

Maybe I'm just old fashioned but I'd still rather just go and see somebody without necessarily checking MP3's first. Mind you given the cost it's imposssible to go to everything.

And there's the rub with much of the recent Lemon Tree gigs, versus the cheap 5 pound jobs at The Tunnels, much more appeal in experimenting with the unknown for that sort of money than closer to ten pounds and above.

Sic 1314 and French Disco. I think you should look a little closer and think a little broader at The Lemon Tree programme. Nickle Creek next week for one. Who else would bring them to Aberdeen. The Rootin' Aboot programme is one of the strongest ever. Dhol Foundation' date=' Culture Clash, Peatbog Faeries, Flook all should not be missed and not forgetting Bonnie Prince Billy. Perhaps it should be accepted that the "cool" bands you're looking for may be playing elswhere. I still think the Regulars Scheme has got to be worth it even if you only go once a month but I wish the buggers would get organised with reminders. One of these days the box are not going to let me use my expired card and that would just be embarrassing. Come on, send out renewal reminders and make us feel wanted lest I cast up we're the wrong sort again!

I think you'll also find the person doing the booking has a pretty big clue and perhaps deserves credit for the place still being in existance at all.[/quote']

Sorry I think your argument is nonsense - I have no interest in any of the acts you mention above, not that I wish them not to play, but a bit of diversity would be appreciated. Looking back, in 2003 I saw 28 gigs in the LT, everything from Big Bad Voodoo Daddy to Blue Oyster Cult, then 22 in 2004 and only 11 last year. My musical tastes hadn't changed, I consider them to have broadened considerably with my advancing years, but the choice on offer has noticably declined. As far as I can tell the place is going back to what it was when it first opened, a cliquey arts venue putting on Bulgarian folk trios as opposed to what it should be, a venue offering a range of activities nowhere else will promote. Does anyone here think the regulars scheme does anything other than reduce the overpriced fare on display to the level the tickets should be in the first place? Looking at the current stuff on offer, does anyone think £11 for a Led Zeppelin tribute band is good value?

Oh and I object strongly to any inference that anything I ever want to see is "cool"o_O

Sorry I think your argument is nonsense - I have no interest in any of the acts you mention above.. but a bit of diversity would be appreciated.

You must have a strange definition of diverse.

as opposed to what it should be' date=' a venue offering a range of activities nowhere else will promote. [/quote']

Exactly what it does do surely!

does anyone think 11 for a Led Zeppelin tribute band is good value?

NO! Bit it'll still be sold out probably.

Oh and I object strongly to any inference that anything I ever want to see is "cool"o_O
I didn't mean to infer anything apart from the fact that Moshulu now seem to put on many bands which would have at one time played The Lemon Tree. Some of which you may want to see?

Can you explain what the Lemon Tree 'should' be? Fair enough, the choice in music isn't what it was a few years back, but just because you don't know who a band are doesn't mean no-one will go and see them. You'd be amazed how busy it can get on a night with an obscure jazz trio. The Research are playing soon and i've heard they're tipped for great things. Tickets are priced at 3-5 I believe, you can't tell me that's over priced?

The Lemon Tree doesn't have a niche market like Moshulu or to a lesser extent The Tunnels, the fact that they book a wide variety of stuff says a lot in my opinion. Apart from anything, and I've said it before, there are good few venues of a similar size to The Lemon Tree in Aberdeen. Bands haven't got a prefernce, they'll go to the place that pay them the most. We call know the money troubles the Tree has been having recently so it shouldn't be a huge surprise when Moshulu gets the majority of big names.

Guest Tommyboy
Sorry I think your argument is nonsense - I have no interest in any of the acts you mention above' date=' not that I wish them not to play, but a bit of diversity would be appreciated. Looking back, in 2003 I saw 28 gigs in the LT, everything from Big Bad Voodoo Daddy to Blue Oyster Cult, then 22 in 2004 and only 11 last year. My musical tastes hadn't changed, I consider them to have broadened considerably with my advancing years, but the choice on offer has noticably declined. As far as I can tell the place is going back to what it was when it first opened, a cliquey arts venue putting on Bulgarian folk trios as opposed to what it should be, a venue offering a range of activities nowhere else will promote. Does anyone here think the regulars scheme does anything other than reduce the overpriced fare on display to the level the tickets should be in the first place? Looking at the current stuff on offer, does anyone think 11 for a Led Zeppelin tribute band is good value?

Oh and I object strongly to any inference that anything I ever want to see is "cool"o_O[/quote']

totally agree with what you say, although not as prodigigious in the number of my visits to the LT they have decreased annually over past 5 years. No problems with "decent" tribute bands or what is referred to as "cool" band. I'm in my 40's and have no problems with any of the new "reputable" bands. Will go and see the Delays at Moshulu but can't understand how they pay more for bands as venues are around the same size. surely it is worth paying more to get gigs that sell out? Leave all the trendy arty type plays and drama to mondays to wednesdays and bust a gut getting decent bands thursday onwards.

On this point and on prices saw Glen Tilbrook recently for the fourth time at LT and although he gets better every time crowd gets smaller. why have him on a Monday night and still charge 13 for a ticket and get under 100 people for one of the best songwriter/entertainers of the last 20 years. Why not charge a lower amount and cut out the need to make the panic offer of free tickets to regulars 2 days before the gig.

One other thing why so many gigs advertised then cancelled, Roddy Frame, Shane McGowan, Chris Difford, Bees, etc in recent times. These are the level of acts that the LT should be getting

Agree also about freebies, will go to most things if it doesn't cost anything but why so few offers other than at last minute when tickets havn't sold. surely you must have a clue on what might sell well and offer special incentives to regulars at a decent time

Well half the problem with decreasing audiences for LT gigs for regularly reappearing artists is, imho, the fact that it only really advertises to people who go there - if you're online and regularly visit here or the LT website, or don't get sent the brochures regularly, how do you discover what's playing? Goes back to my specious "Bulgarian folk trio" comment - the only people who go to the Lemon Tree are the people who go to the Lemon Tree. The Lemon Tree is the only live venue of its size which everyone in Aberdeen who pays council tax has to partly fund - whatever plays there. As far as I'm concerned it should be providing something for all tastes at some point in the year. I don't think it did when it first opened, but it improved in the late nineties and is now declining in what it offers once more to appeal to a far smaller core of regular users. Must admit I've never been able to figure out how the place ran up the debts it did - the high entry prices (well if they can offer a third off to regulars, how much clear profit are they making on sales?), an overpriced bar and as far as I can tell reasonably healthy attendances at most events it should be a goldmine compared to the commercial operations around town.

To broaden the discussion a bit, can anybody explain why we seem to pay so much for live music events in this country compared to mainland Europe? When I started to go to gigs 20 odd years ago, a concert ticket for a Capitol sized venue was about the same price as buying the latest album by the act you were going to see, and cosequently lower for clubs. T-shirts would be about the same or slightly less. This rule of thumb now seems completely gone by the board and concert ticket prices now seem to rise in 5 stages, although we seem to pay more than the rest of Europe. Festivals are even worse, explain to me how I can get a ticket for a medium sized (40-50,000) festival in Germany for about 40 (including camping), and here you're looking at over 100. Went on a weeks holiday in Holland/Belgium a few years ago, saw a couple of arena gigs, tickets were in the 15-20 range when they would have been at least 25 over here (more now).