aberdeen-music

Hog did you get that tuner?

YETI

Tuner schmuners....I don't remember The Beatles' date=' The Who, Hendrix etc... needing any tuners, they tuned live all the time, Hendrix made a song out of it. I've got no time for tuners because I need to hear chords before I know I'm tune...:swearing: tuners schmuners[/quote']

some people are not as talented as you are i am afraid.

i use a standard politonic tuner. if everyone use a tuner there is no risk that someone is out of tune. unfortunatelly hog cant tune by ear, sorry hod is not an insult just something i noticed. you have to let it ring and hear the sinusoid pattern.

to reply to other posts on this thread, tuning by octaves or harmonics is not more accurate. i cant explain it in a language i dont know well enough but for once trust me i know what i am talking about

to reply to other posts on this thread' date=' tuning by octaves or harmonics is not more accurate. i cant explain it in a language i dont know well enough but for once trust me i know what i am talking about[/quote']

I guess it may be something regarding my intonation or another factor but I have definitely had times where my tuner (very high quality tuner too) says that a note is spot on, yet if I play a powerchord, it's dissonant.

Obviously though if the instrument is perfectly intonated and so on then a chromatic tuner isn't gonna be wrong!

oh and please refrain on commenting on my spellin/grammar... if you dont know it i am italian, so quit taking the piss. the day you can speak/write in italian at the same level i can speak/write in english will be the day i will accept any criticism on this matter

Sorry? I wasn't trying to be offensive in any way! ?(

I was just simply saying that I have had times where the tuner is saying it's right yet the notes aren't when a chord is played, not saying that you are wrong or bashing your use of English.

I wasn't saying anything about spelling/grammar etc. dude! Sorry if you took my post the wrong way. I FOR SURE was NOT taking the piss in any form! :S

I know of you being Italian, and yes, I'll never be as good with Italian as you are with English!

Sorry? I wasn't trying to be offensive in any way! ?(

I was just simply saying that I have had times where the tuner is saying it's right yet the notes aren't when a chord is played' date=' not saying that you are wrong or bashing your use of English.

I wasn't saying anything about spelling/grammar etc. dude! Sorry if you took my post the wrong way. I FOR SURE was NOT taking the piss in any form! :S

I know of you being Italian, and yes, I'll never be as good with Italian as you are with English![/quote']

no worries man :up:

it wasnt directed at you in particular... after almost every post i made in this forum some picky little anally retentive no lifer made a comment about my spelling/grammar just to be funny or discredit my vews

so sorry for that :O

I guess it may be something regarding my intonation or another factor but I have definitely had times where my tuner (very high quality tuner too) says that a note is spot on' date=' yet if I play a powerchord, it's dissonant.

Obviously though if the instrument is perfectly intonated and so on then a chromatic tuner isn't gonna be wrong![/quote']

ok how to make it simple... modern tuning (ei A at 440Hz) is like dividing 11 by 10 and trying to get whole numbers. thats the basic theory anyway... so everything has to be approximated. if you tune by harmonics/octaves you will end up short on the last segment.

also intonation, strings condition, humidity and temperature can affect your tuning

some people are not as talented as you are i am afraid.

i use a standard politonic tuner. if everyone use a tuner there is no risk that someone is out of tune. unfortunatelly hog cant tune by ear' date=' sorry hod is not an insult just something i noticed. you have to let it ring and hear the sinusoid pattern.

to reply to other posts on this thread, tuning by octaves or harmonics is not more accurate. i cant explain it in a language i dont know well enough but for once trust me i know what i am talking about[/quote']

I also cant play scales and put strings on properly but that will be changing very soon:up:

I guess it may be something regarding my intonation or another factor but I have definitely had times where my tuner (very high quality tuner too) says that a note is spot on' date=' yet if I play a powerchord, it's dissonant.

Obviously though if the instrument is perfectly intonated and so on then a chromatic tuner isn't gonna be wrong![/quote']

Checking and setting your intonation is easy (once you know how):

The 12th fret harmonic should be exactly the same note (although a different octave) to the open string.

Tune the guitar (you need the neck tensioned correctly or you'll get wrong results)

Play the open note

Play the 12th fret harmonic

If it's sharp, the string is too short and needs to be lengthened.

If it's flat the string needs shortened.

Adjust the saddle bridge (assuming you have 6 different saddle bridges) in the appropriate direction and repeat above until the harmonic and open are in tune.

You'll probably have to slacken the string to adjust the saddle.

If your tuner is working correctly, that should sort you out (assuming you can't drive a bus under your strings).

Checking and setting your intonation is easy (once you know how):

The 12th fret harmonic should be exactly the same note (although a different octave) to the open string.

Tune the guitar (you need the neck tensioned correctly or you'll get wrong results)

Play the open note

Play the 12th fret harmonic

If it's sharp' date=' the string is too short and needs to be lengthened.

If it's flat the string needs shortened.

Adjust the saddle bridge (assuming you have 6 different saddle bridges) in the appropriate direction and repeat above until the harmonic and open are in tune.

You'll probably have to slacken the string to adjust the saddle.

If your tuner is working correctly, that should sort you out (assuming you can't drive a bus under your strings).[/quote']

just a small note an that.. if you change the diameter of your strings (gage?) you will have to re-intonate your instrument

given that length, mass and tention are the 3 varables of a note

actually no. the note you are tuning/intonating, has no influence on the result or practice. you will still need a point of reference, either a tuner or something that generates the procise note you are trying to intonate.

my dislike for low frequencies tuning is a simple style problem... low frequencies are harder to hear for the human ear. so if you pile alot of instruments in that range you end up with an undefined noise, which to me is no music, you might as well record heavy machinery with the mic volume at 11

so in my PERSONAL opinion, using lots of low end moshy sound is to mask lack of skill because at the end noone will understand what you are playing anywa... which takes me back to the comment stwartmaxuell made about my sound... once again i am not trying to start another thread closing argument... i am just explaining my PERSONAL views