aberdeen-music

I hate Celtic

Scenester1

Guest tv tanned
Thing is' date=' that's the standard response from an Anglo, Scottish football's a joke dahn sarf.[/quote']

Yes, cos the Premiership is sooo exciting this season.

I cannot believe how terrible the matches in England are. Like sleep-inducingly awful. And yet they regularly claim, without a hint of irony, that it is the most entertaining league in the world.

Like hell it is.

At least the SPL this season has been exciting, and is all set for a good finish as well.

Guest DustyDeviada
Yes' date=' cos the Premiership is sooo exciting this season.

I cannot believe how terrible the matches in England are. Like sleep-inducingly awful. And yet they regularly claim, without a hint of irony, that it is the most entertaining league in the world.

Like hell it is.

At least the SPL this season has been exciting, and is all set for a good finish as well.[/quote']

Yep, I watched Man Utd v Liverpool earlier in the season and almost fell asleep.

Who would've thought i'd ever agree with Chic Young- (taken from BBC Scotland)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has the passion gone out of your football love life? Bitter and twisted about the failure of the Old Firm to reach the last eight of the Scottish Cup? Then go get a life.

What a difference a day makes. I watched Rangers crash out of the tournament at the hands of a rampant Hibs side, their third victory on the bounce over the Ibrox side as it happens.

Apparently they now get them to keep on the mantelpiece.

Lunacy immediately set in. A police cordon either side of the Ibrox main entrance as the lynch mob gathered for a manager who has taken a Scottish team to the knockout stages of the Champions' League for the first time and who has won more than the rightly acclaimed Martin O'Neill did at Celtic.

Rangers lost a cup tie, not a world war. The arrogance of Old Firm supporters knows no bounds, but it is their absolute belief that theirs is a divine right to succeed which really makes them so pitiful.

Now fast forward 24 hours to events at the City Ground - a public park pitch with a fence round it if the truth be told - just off the Ferry Road in Edinburgh and a cup tie at the same stage of the tournament involving non-league Spartans and First Division leaders St Mirren.

On league status it should have been a non event. As much a mis-match as the Rangers v Hibs game eventually turned out to be.

But Spartans matched Saints in every department.

They showed grit, determination, character and desire. And in one good old fashioned late stramash they very nearly grabbed the game's only goal... one which would have made headline news from Morningside to Montevideo.

Saints clung to their place in the competition by the skin of their teeth... But here's the rub. There was no early walk-out by St Mirren fans in the huff. No bitter songs of resentment. Just a standing (to be fair in that department there was no alternative) ovation for the heroic opposition.

From before the kick-off it had been a party.

Spartans supporters dressed curiously like Mexicans although no-one can quite trace the history of the link between Edinburgh and El Paso.

It was a laugh and a joke and I cannot quite remember when I enjoyed myself at a football match so much.

Not a hint of trouble. Love was in the air. A love for the beautiful game... which I have to concede wasn't actually that beautiful.

I have never seen so many headers in a match. The ball, I understand, is recovering in Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.

The first two used are lying in woman's garden which backs on to the goal Spartans were attacking in the first half.

The pitch, described by Spartans co-boss Mike Lawson as having "a slight slope" turned out to be more reminiscent of the north face of the Eiger. In any case Saints forgot their ice axe and crampons.

It was a dead right decision to keep the match at City Park and wheel in the temporary grandstands.

I'll never forget the scenes, in particular two gentle ladies in twin set and pearls dressed as if they should have been at church... but with sombreros.

This is what football is really all about. You can take your Old Firm chip on the shoulder, self righteous paranoia, and burn it.

Yes' date=' cos the Premiership is sooo exciting this season.

I cannot believe how terrible the matches in England are. Like sleep-inducingly awful. And yet they regularly claim, without a hint of irony, that it is the most entertaining league in the world.[/quote']

Couldn't agree more, Serie A and La Liga are far better (provided you have television access, natch).