aberdeen-music

That gig on at the Tunnels tonight

Edgar Graham

I thought dedalus were pretty good in places, some fantastically over-delayed 80's style ambient indie, but I'll be honest there was a few tunes that grated on me slightly (and certain bits that grated more than slightly). However they should take this as a compliment, as it's not totally my thing. In contradiction to the above post I thought Dedalus singers voice was really good, and all in all, I would say good band if you're into that sort of thing. Too much treble.... ;)

Colon open bracket - thought their set was particularly tarnished by the stupid amounts of feedback throughout it's entirety. Some good ideas, in particular the sonic or mario samples... haha. Drummer was great - battered the shit out of the kit! I think however with this style of music it is hard to do it well, and to my ears all the songs just ended up sounding all the same. 'Original' is an adjective that springs to mind...

Genevieve were great. I'm praying, however, that the matching long-sleeve brown tops is a uniform rather than a coincidence. Surprisingly I thought the last couple of songs were the weakest, but other than that there were a few crackers in the set. Sounded to me like my vitriol playing sigur ros songs - make of that what you will. Beautifully ambient in places, and a bit rockier in others.

I would have stayed for jenniferever on any other day of the week, but I was so fucking ill that I had to go home. Definitely shouldn't have been there in the first place. Testament to that is the remains of my stomach in the tunnels toilets... don't worry guys, I didn't make a mess and if I did I would have cleaned it up... Lovely stuff.

I thought it was quite a good gig, albeit a night of highs and lows. Dedalus were sounding great, Stephen has a superb voice and the new songs sounded good.

Colonopen Bracket were awful. The only good bits about their set was the intro to Blackened that they opened with and one song that sounded like Eddie Van Halen playing the synth.

I really enjoyed Genevieve. Much tighter than last time I saw them, although I believe the previous gig was tarnished by illness.

And finally I was a bit disappointed with the headliners. 2 bassists sounded really interested but then when they came on it kind of washed past me and was a bit boring.

Far from shite, all-in-all, I thought. Definitely the best show I've seen Dedalus give. I'm glad to see they've discovered da funk, and they've found some tunes as well. One in particular, with just a few lines repeated over-and-over, was the best song I've heard by a local band. If there is a recording available, and I'd part with my cash for it alone

: ( are great, as are any band who get a blonde girl and a dark girl on stage to do very little, if anything. Like the Human League in that respect. Fab.

I'm sorry to be down on a band with Phil in it, but Genevieve were horrible. They recalled Tigerfin and the Lorenzo Snow Collective and all those other rockers who don't consider playing Cafe Drummonds to be a degrading experience for any dignified human being. And swamp brown long sleeve t-shirts and baggy stonewash jeans is the worst uniform ever.

A decent crowd of bams and football hooligans? Like I said: degrading.

Name a successful band that doesn't have bams and football hooligans as part of their fanbase. In a strange way, being liked by that kind of crowd is a pretty sure fire indicator of success.

I'm not hugely keen on Drummonds, never have been, but it's the only venue in town that I've seen people willingly pay a fair bit for bands that they've never heard of. That, if nothing else, means a fair bit I think.

And uh..to risk sounding like Jester, if Drummonds is good enough for a man that's sold millions (Fish), then it's good enough for any local band.

I've never had a problem with drummonds' date=' and we shall be playing there (for the first time i may add) in June, as maxi rightly said it is a good place to introduce your music to a more varied crowd and also play to more than just your best mates :p[/quote']

i agree!

and i must add ive never seen a bad gig @ Drummonds...its always a nice and the staff are great!

we're playing there with Chris T-T in April - looking forward to it!

Guest five years
its always a nice and the staff are great!

it is nice, except when they leave the heating on, and the staff are great except when it's busy and there's 2 staff and they can't cope in the slightest. :D

you obviously havent been to drummonds recently then steve.

its becoming the hive of the music scene again. it has a shit hot sound and you have the great possibility of bringing music to new people. from what i have also noticed' date=' bands sell a lot of merch in there :)[/quote']

You're right, the last time I was there was before Dedalus split and reformed. On that occassion, a woman at least 10 years my senior offered to make a man of me, so that scared me off the place. I'll give it another try, now, tho. The scene needs a hive

Guest bluesxman
You're right' date=' the last time I was there was before Dedalus split and reformed. On that occassion, a woman at least 10 years my senior offered to make a man of me, so that scared me off the place. I'll give it another try, now, tho. The scene needs a hive[/quote']

And Dedalus are probably playing there next month so you can always go and listen to that song you liked!

Yes' date=' several, but a "hive" isn't a..complex, it's one place. Which place stands out above the rest?[/quote']

Depends what you're into, really.

The thing is, if one place starts dominating things, it may end up being to the detriment of the other venues. Right now, with the fact that there's not a "place", everywhere seems to be getting along fine because each place gets their fair share of "must go" gigs from everyone's perspective.

Mind you, bands being able to play somewhere to a guaranteed crowd regardless wouldn't be bad at all.

you obviously havent been to drummonds recently then steve.

its becoming the hive of the music scene again. it has a shit hot sound and you have the great possibility of bringing music to new people. from what i have also noticed' date=' bands sell a lot of merch in there :)[/quote']

are you having a fucking giggle? the hive of the music scene? drummonds is ding, absolutely pish to play. maxi, are you sure you're being serious?

love from christy

Sound quality in drummonds is brilliant. You'll think its good to play if you can pull a crowd.

i disagree drummonds easily has one of the worst atmospheres in aberdeen for gigs.

The last actual good gig i was at in there was the last ever sirrius gig when they played with alsyssas wish, and even then i rekon it would of been better in kef (yes i said it) or anywhere else to be honest.