aberdeen-music

Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Poo

Ross

Recomend the following.

New= Just out / newly released / import only etc

Old = 3 years old +

Borrowed = Something "borrowed" from a friend you don`t wish to give back as it is too good.

Poo = Something that you bought that you`d thought youd like but don`t like or are totally not sure of.

Something Old - The Police "Outlandos d'Amour" - First Police album regularly overlooked as Regatta and Zenyatta are two brilliant albums by a band that are completely different when you compare album tracks to the singles.

Something New - Julia Thirteen - "Album" - Just brilliant. This has taken ages to record and will hopefully be out in June. I listened to it 7 times over when I received a copy.

Something Borrowed - Rosie Thomas "Songs Could Be Held" - My favourite artist that i`ve ever seen in King Tuts. Soaring female vocalist who sound like Lisa Simpson.

Something Poo - Eighteenth Day In May - Now i should really really like this as it`s folky and the sort of thing that i grew up with but at times it's way to feedle deedle dum. Maybe better live than on record.

[cut n paste]

Something Old -

Something New -

Something Borrowed -

Something Poo -

Something Old - The La's - The La's - just start to finish a glorious pop album :love:

Something New - The Streets - A Grand Dont Come For Free - probably not that "new" anymore, but what the hell. the best album of the 00's so far for me.

Something Borrowed - The Rap Canterbury Tales by Baba Brankman - this guys a genius plus absolutley hilarious.

Something Poo - Tom Waits - Real Gone. I know i should like it, but its never really stuck with me like Tom's other records have. Big disapointment :(

Something Old - Crash Test Dummies - A Worms Life - irrelevent musings on everyday life

Something New - Richard Ashcroft - Keys to the World - a return to glory.

Something Borrowed - Radiohead - The Bends - had to give it back, but ended up buying it anyway

Something Poo - Beck - Mellow Gold - bought it as part of a deal, wish i hadn't bothered.

Something New - Julia Thirteen - "Album" - Just brilliant. This has taken ages to record and will hopefully be out in June. I listened to it 7 times over when I received a copy.

About time it was finished' date=' cant wait to hear it!!

Something Old - Therapy? "Semi Detached". Forgot how brilliant this album was, it really is excellent .

Something New - Stapleton "Hug the Coast". Fantastic, live and on record. This was one of the albums of the year for me.

Something Borrowed - Arab Strap "Mad for Sadness". I actually own this, but have loaned it to someone; so i've loaned it from someone else (and really need to return it). This is Arab Strap at their best. "Piglet" will always be one of my favourite songs ever. And "New Birds" contains the most beautiful bass line i've ever heard

Something Poo - I was a bit disappointed with the Gratitude album. A little bit too wet for my liking

Guest bluesxman

Something Old - Psychedelic Furs - Talk Talk Talk. Just a fantastic album, forget how Pretty In Pink ended up being used and later forays into polished American rock, their first few albums were great.

Something New - Pelican - The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon The Thaw. My favourite album of the moment. It came out last year but that's newer than The Streets one! I thought the Clap Your Hands Say Yeah! one was quite good overall.

Something Borrowed - Can't remember the last time I borrowed music from someone.

Something Poo - Bonnie Prince Billy/Tortoise - Brave And The Bold. Maybe needs some more listens but first impression not good. Like both artists individually but the combination doesn't seem to work for me.

Guest tv tanned

Something Old - Runrig - Searchlight. A perfect album.

Something New - Morningwood - s/t

Something Borrowed - Runrig - Heartland

Something Poo - Kaiser Chiefs - Employment. Very very very disappointing.

something old - Becoming X - Sneaker Pimps. This is the way Trip hop should be. Creepy, dark, brooding, intense and sexy. In my opinion all the others didnt come close to this album.

something new - when everything falls - haste the day. Top drawer metalcore. Cant stop listening to it. Has everything i like about modern metal apart from some ripping solos which would be nice. if you like atreyu...you'll love this. Great songs and great lyrics actually.

something borrowed - Ross' copy of Hot Damn by everytime i die. Ive had it years and i mean if you've heard it...youll know why i dont wnt to give it back!!

something poo - Juturna - circa survive. Thought id love this...dont...ive tried so hard...i think its crap!

Something Old - Radiohead - O.K. Computer. mmmmm.

Something New - Thrice - Vheissu. Not one song short of amazing.

Something Borrowed - Alexisonfire - Watch Out! Am I fuck giving this back.

Something Poo - Coheed & Cambria - Good Apollo etc etc. Just haven't got into it. Bit too much on the endless prog side for me :(

Something Borrowed - Rosie Thomas "Songs Could Be Held" - My favourite artist that i`ve ever seen in King Tuts. Soaring female vocalist who sound like Lisa Simpson.

Awesome' date=' awesome album.

[b']Something Old - Mogwai - Rock Action ... listening to it this morning. :up:

Something New - Wolf Parade - Apologies to the Queen Mary ... took me a few listens to get into but i fucking love it! Quirky stuff to bounce along and pretend you're not going to uni to.

Something Borrowed - Belle and Sebastian - Dear Catastrophe Waitress ... I can't find this so I'm sure my flatmate must have taken it back..but wonderful album.

Something Poo Green Day - American Idiot ... beside the title track (which is wearing thin now) i can't find a single track on this album that i enjoy.

Something Old - Crowbar - Odd Fellows Rest: Discovered this again in anticipation of their tour next month with Will Haven. None fucking heavier indeed.

Something New - The last new CD I bought was "Wake The Dead" by Comeback Kid. It's been out for ages now but I'll recommend it anyway. Awesome melodic hardcore. EDIT: I forgot about "Vheissu" by Thrice. Buy both of them.

Something Borrowed - Metallica - Master Of Puppets: Someone (can't remember who) lent this to me after my copy got scratched beyond repair. But yeah, they ain't getting it back.

Something Poo - The Chariot - Can't remember the name of the record but what a load of bollocks. This whole metalcore thing is starting to get ridiculous.

Also kudos to Ben for mentioning "Becoming X". That's a great record.

Something Poo - The Chariot - Can't remember the name of the record but what a load of bollocks. This whole metalcore thing is starting to get ridiculous.

Why? Its like any other genre man. You get the good and you get the garbage. why are people picking on this genre...and before it gets dragged in i dont even class MMW asa metalcore band and neither should anyone.

I just love this genre and i feel that its no different to any other genre...How many garbage "rock n roll bands are there in the UK? Prob alot more than metalcore bands...I bet you!

Something Old - Metallica - ...And Justice For All : It is still my favourite album. Great riffs and structures, love the lead playing - most influential album for me. Crap guitar sound though, if it had production like on The Black Album then it would be better rated by all.

Recommended track:- Blackened

Something New - Not new as such but my most recent purchase:- The Berzerker - Disssimulate : Very aquired taste. Ultra heavy. Either love it or hate it. Most will hate, I love. Simple :up:

Recommended track:- No One Wins

Something Borrowed - Dying Fetus - Destroy The Opposition : Borrowed it from someone I work with, loved it. So brutal and great riffs. Gonna be fun and challenging to learn any of it though! I did end up buying it when I gave it back though..

Recommended track:- Praise The Lord

Something Poo - All the albums I have bought I like. The only poo thing I can think of is the fact that I bought Machine Head - The More Things Change and took it to a party and came home with an empty box. :down:

Recommended track:- Ten Ton Hammer

Note: I'm not saying the Machine Head album is poo - I'd recommend it to any metal fan -, just simply explaining the crapness of the situation with it!

Something Old - Manic Street Preachers - Generation Terrorists. Proves that raw and angry doesnt have to mean simple songs and shouting. By no means is it their best album but all the flaws just make it better.

Something New - I think the newest album I've really enjoyed is Rabbit Fur Coat by Jenny Lewis. Beautiful voice, great songwriter and one of the best lyricists of recent times.

Something borrowed - Kings of Leon - Youth and Youngmanhood/A-ha Shake Heartbreak. Both these albums are fantastic, KOL have been totally unfairly lumped in with the NME-hyped Indie crowd but they're leagues ahead of the others. Best rock band of the 00's so far in my opinion.

Something Poo - Can't really think of anything I've bought which has dissapointed me recently. The Magic Numbers dissapoint me in general though as a band, their newest single shows they could be a great, catchy pop band, but so much of their stuff is just bland and pointless.

I just love this genre and i feel that its no different to any other genre...How many garbage "rock n roll bands are there in the UK? Prob alot more than metalcore bands...I bet you!

I don't really know about that many UK R 'N R bands so I can't really comment. The one's I've seen have been fairly good. But I'm not slagging off metalcore. I listen to a lot of that sort of thing myself (as you know) but that Chariot record was just awful. That's merely my opinion on one album.

O - The Living End - S/T. Just some proper old fashioned Rock N Roll mixed up with everything from Rockabilly to Ska. Amazing Album, with every song having the ability to be tagged as an anthem.

N - Panic! At The Disco. Tried my hardest to ignore them, but downloaded a few songs and they're just so damn catchy. Hooks R Us. I just wish the tele wouldn't stick the song on every 20 minutes, effectively making them the next MCR.

B - Moby - Play. Forgot how good this album was, just brilliant to chill out with as background music. So many good songs on it too. Went on a hunt for it after his performance at the Marishall college last year.

P - Bloodhound Gang - Hefty Fine. Absolute crap, after 3 previous amazing albums they have the nerve to release this set of mediocricy. Sounds like it was done in a weekend. The 8 second first track is the highlight.

I don't really know about that many UK R 'N R bands so I can't really comment. The one's I've seen have been fairly good. But I'm not slagging off metalcore. I listen to a lot of that sort of thing myself (as you know) but that Chariot record was just awful. That's merely my opinion on one album.

Thats cool. I cant comment on the Chariot album as I havent heard it. All i was saying was that you said "this metal core thing..." You were commenting on the genre, not one album.

:)

N - Panic! At The Disco. Tried my hardest to ignore them, but downloaded a few songs and they're just so damn catchy. Hooks R Us. I just wish the tele wouldn't stick the song on every 20 minutes, effectively making them the next MCR.

Definately agreed. Was heavily discouraged at first because of the singer's voice ripping off the Fall Out Boy singer's voice but the more I listened to them the more addicted I got to them. They are already popular and I don't even think they have had a music video yet.

Thats cool. I cant comment on the Chariot album as I havent heard it. All i was saying was that you said "this metal core thing..." You were commenting on the genre' date=' not one album.

:)[/quote']

Yeah I should have qualified that statement. I meant that recently metalcore seems to be going a bit awry. I haven't heard a band of that genre that I well like for ages. I'm probably not looking in the right places though.

Old: Portishead-Dummy. Beautiful album, better than sneaker pimps in my opinion Ben. Beth Gibbons voice is amazing :)

New: Parkway Drive- Killing With A Smile. I can't get this cd outta my stereo, off my mp3 or my laptop. I listen to it every day. How modern metal should sound in my opinion :)

Borrowed: Northstar-Pollyanna. I have actually given it back to Ben now but it would be the last cd i borrowed off anyone and it was cracking :)

Poo: Belle & Sebastian- The Life Pursuit. Majorly disappointed with this so far, only a couple of songs i like :( The Jenny Lewis album was a bit of a letdown too.

old - DRIVE LIKE JEHU -YANK CRIME fuck me this album will always stand the test of time. frantic, punky, off kilter, thrashy, full of passion and venom. fuck me beatiful

new - STAPLETON-hug the coast absolutely faultless album. amazing

borrowed - GANGER - Hammock Style. stole this from joss. its fuckign brilliant and has a tremendous drum sound on it. it snakes and hypnotises its way along with an array of great bass and guitar interaction. craig went on to do aereogramme and natasha went on to do fuck off machete. shite hot

poo - THE DRESDEN DOLLS - THE DRESDEN DOLLS absolutely adore two songs on this album (bad habit + girl ano...) but the rest does fuck all for me

Something Old - Van Halen - "Van Halen": great guitar solos and lyrics on it

Something New - Within Temptations - "The Silent Voice": my second taste at goth rock. Yummy like chocolate and sex.

Something Borrowed - Il Divo - "Ancora": Never crossed into this genre, I got a loan of it, gave it back and bought my own. Ab fab.

Something Poo - 50 cent - "The Massacre": Worst choice in my life! Worst song, ("Candy Shop") of the 21st Century I reckon. The beats are horrible, the lyrics are completely silly, the music video is really bad and 50 has zero talent, just all image, and he doesn't have any substance. Whole album just bad. Ebay buyers liked it though. ;)