aberdeen-music

local bands set length

Cloud

Why is this thread specifically entitled 'local bands set length'? This would imply that a non-local band would be subject to a different rule. For instance Karloff is a local band to Aberdeen, but a touring band to everywhere else. Would an Aberdeen band answer this question differently on www.glasgow-music.com? I don't think so...

Should this thread really be entitled 'Support band set length?' But that in turn raises other questions - how many bands are playing, where in the bill does this support band feature?And what of the headliners? How long should their set be?

There are umpteen factors that influence the length of a set.

A better title might be: 'Cloud Asks - How long is a piece of string? Again.'

people that give a fuck what the songs about.

so yeh, only the band then! (and maybe their mams)

.....why bore the rest of us with a fake tale of inspiration or some bullshit ideology designed to impress (and therefore rendered void by its motives)... id rather read a book to be honest

for a captive audience to bore shitless the mouthy bands should just stand outside Marks and Spencers on a Saturday afternoon imo

if you ever hear these words at a gig

''just play the fucking song!!!''

that will be me (probably)

and when bands start talking mates in the crowd.......don't get me fucking started on that one.

Mate in crowd: ''You're all cunts''

Singer/Guitarist: ''No you're a cunt huhuhuh''

*Uncomfortable silence, shuffles a bit then points at bass player*

Singer/Guitarist: ''He is most definately a cunt''

*bass player moves over to nearest microphone*

''huhuhu you're a FAT CUNT so shut up man huhuhuh''

*Audience heads for exit / toilet to poo*

so yeh' date=' only the band then! (and maybe their mams)

.....why bore the rest of us with a fake tale of inspiration or some bullshit ideology designed to impress (and therefore rendered void by its motives)... id rather read a book to be honest

for a captive audience to bore shitless the mouthy bands should just stand outside Marks and Spencers on a Saturday afternoon imo

if you ever hear these words at a gig

''just play the fucking song!!!''

that will be me (probably)

and when bands start talking mates in the crowd.......don't get me fucking started on that one.

Mate in crowd: ''You're all cunts''

Singer/Guitarist: ''No you're a cunt huhuhuh''

*Uncomfortable silence, shuffles a bit then points at bass player*

Singer/Guitarist: ''He is most definately a cunt''

*bass player moves over to nearest microphone*

''huhuhu you're a FAT CUNT so shut up man huhuhuh''

*Audience heads for exit / toilet to poo*[/quote']

Depends what sort of band it is....when i saw Los Crudos they did a lot of explaining about their songs between them (considering the vocals were both screamed and in Spanish, this was probably essential), and everyone listened to every word that was being said and left the place thinking they were about to start the revolution....

Some bands can pull off humour when announcing their songs, which can work to an extent.... Oi Polloi are a good example.

Of course the "this songs about getting dumped", "this songs about getting pished", "this songs about me burd" types should be shot....

jason ringenburg had the audience captivated by his explainations of some of his songs. although he was generally a captivating person and the audience sat in awe of him for the entire gig. of course, when his songs are about little known tidbits of american history like the first ever african americans who were allowed to become fighter pilots, the audience are gonna want to listen and learn.

but that's neither here nor there in relation to this topic. 25-30 minutes is about right, depending on the band. some bands i wish would leave the stage halfway into the first song and the idea of waiting 25 minutes for them to finish kills me a little inside.

The only banter I object to is when the band members start discussing amongst themselves *COUGH* privately, over the PA, which one of them is... oops sorry I meant.... has the biggest cock.

I'm sure Dave's with me on this one...

Strangely enough I've never heard an all girl band boasting about how tight their fuds are. Why is that?

josh t pearson (guy fae lift to experience) had great banter

Remember the asshole that asked for his busted string.....he gave it to me for x-mas because he was skint, so it is hanging on my wall, blue tacked to the poster i stole... that was one of the best gigs i was ever at, someone book him again!

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Depends what sort of band it is....when i saw Los Crudos they did a lot of explaining about their songs between them (considering the vocals were both screamed and in Spanish' date=' this was probably essential), and everyone listened to every word that was being said and left the place thinking they were about to start the revolution....[/quote']

Agree 100%, one of the most inspirational gigs this town will ever see.

Not long enough. Especially when your songs average at least 6 minutes.

But really I'd say it depends what sort of music you're playing, and how long your songs are. For example, if you're a punk band with 2 and a half minute songs then half an hour is probably enough, whereas if you're a prog rock band you would want to play a bit longer in order to play more than 2 songs. Cue lots of hilarious people saying that if you're a prog rock band you shouldn't be given any time at all. Well, don't bother because I'm laughing already. hohoho.

Depends what sort of band it is....when i saw Los Crudos they did a lot of explaining about their songs between them (considering the vocals were both screamed and in Spanish' date=' this was probably essential), and everyone listened to every word that was being said and left the place thinking they were about to start the revolution....

Some bands can pull off humour when announcing their songs, which can work to an extent.... Oi Polloi are a good example.

Of course the "this songs about getting dumped", "this songs about getting pished", "this songs about me burd" types should be shot....[/quote']

are Oi Polloi or Los Crudos local bands

nope

well they are allowed to speak then

all local bands should be gagged / censored / muted between songs

I used to do a good 3 hour set when I was in a covers band - it was expected, any less than that and you didn't get paid but that was a long time ago when I was younger and fitter and could do acrobatics on stage for that long! If you are the only band playing It's a whole diffrent kettle of fish to a gig with 2 or more bands. I think Cloud needs a common sense transplant then he would know this.

I love support slots

1. Only have to play your favourite few tunes
  2. you get the gig over with early, leaving plenty of drinking time
  3. There is a diffrent crowd of folks to usual come along
  4. The adrenaline has worn off by bedtime, and you can actually sleep instead of staying up all night then having the challenge of trying to make yourself look vaguely presentable for work in the morning, while still drunk and having had no sleep.

are Oi Polloi or Los Crudos local bands

nope

well they are allowed to speak then

all local bands should be gagged / censored / muted between songs

How do you think Oi Polloi and Los Crudos started?

At what point in their careers would they have been allowed to talk between songs?

Would they be any good at it if they hadn't had any practice?

How do you think Oi Polloi and Los Crudos started?

At what point in their careers would they have been allowed to talk between songs?

Would they be any good at it if they hadn't had any practice?

dont care, they prob had something worthwhile to say in the first place given their ideologies/politics and the type of audiences that will lap that type of thing up in the belief there is a point to a band doing that

fine

but thats not the issue, its the local bands talking bollocks for the sake of talking bollocks between songs in order to feed the their fake rock star egos (they all know who they are)......its like a fucking plague on our town

just like DJs who talk too much at the expense of actually playing records

Maybe they like the sound of their own voices better than the actual music (and they maybe have a point there)