aberdeen-music

MP3 encoding.

Guest Neubeatz

Guest Neubeatz

I just burned a couple of my own mp3s using the "VBR"(variable bitrate) "highest quality" option in Adobe audition, and Im sure they sound a bit cleaner than the fixed 192 kbps.

What methods or encoders does every one use for best results,

Basically the ethos behind MP3 was file size rather than audio quailty, as its a 'lossy' file format information is discarded in the encoding process.

As an aside burning MP3 to CD as audio files and re-importing won't bring back the missing bits.. repeat the process a few times and things go very horribly wrong..

To answer your question the higher the bit rate the less info is discarded and the better the audio quality - but your files get bigger so the point that you might as well have stuck with AIFF or WAV

Variable rate helps as it adapts the encoding to suit the density of the music signal, so rather than having one constant rate throught the entire track the rate adapts to suit, so the file sizes are typically smaller than the equivalent fixed rate.

Finally the MP3 algorithms are optimised for particular types of music, certain sounds or frequencies don't always work well with certain encoders so it is worth trying a few until you find one that suits your ear.

Like Nik, I also have encoded my CD collection to MP3 using LAME (actually ripped using Easy CD-DA Extractor with v3.97 of the LAME codec) with the --preset standard setting. This setting creates VBR MP3s with an average bitrate of 190kbps. I've found that setting offers me the best sound quality/file size ratio for most purposes.

The reason I'm still ripping to MP3 is that is still the most universally accepted audio file format that plays on all my devices (portable player, media centre, PCs and Hi-Fi)

I will rip all my CDs to FLAC one day for archival purposes but I haven't got round to it yet.

Guest onlynik
Like Nik' date=' I also have encoded my CD collection to MP3 using LAME (actually ripped using Easy CD-DA Extractor with v3.97 of the LAME codec) with the --preset standard setting. This setting creates VBR MP3s with an average bitrate of 190kbps. I've found that setting offers me the best sound quality/file size ratio for most purposes.

The reason I'm still ripping to MP3 is that is still the most universally accepted audio file format that plays on all my devices (portable player, media centre, PCs and Hi-Fi)

I will rip all my CDs to FLAC one day for archival purposes but I haven't got round to it yet.[/quote']

I just don't have the time/space for my entire collection to be FLAC encoded.