aberdeen-music

Jose Mourinho/Favourite Sporting Reads

NARC

With my mind reeling from existentialist theories after having read the bulk of Sartre's "Nausea", I decided to take on some "lighter" reading in the form of a Jose Mourinho biography by Luis Lourenco that my Mother kindly sent me for my Birthday. I must say, it's improved my opinion of him as both a coach and a human being (that's coming from a Chelsea fan, too). Some interesting snippets of info arise, notably whilst he was coach of Benfica and believed that Pierre Van Hoojidonk was the only player who believed hard work would result in ultimate success, and applied himself accordingly. And plus, guess who was his teacher at a UEFA training course? That's right, you've guessed it....Andy Roxburgh

Has anyone else read this book about the master tactician, or have any other input on favourite sporting reads? I'll throw in Bobby Robson's and Denis Law's autobiographies, as well as The Miracle of Castel De Sangro and Morbo: The History of Spanish Football.

Oh and a book about a year in the life of Torquay United, which I think I gave to Laxton's Superb and never got back

all the books my brother reads is sporting books. bores the fuck outta me like. I do love the Alex Ferguson biography "A Light In The North" about his time with Aberdeen.

I think I'm put off them as i read one too many Gary Linekars short football storys about a lad called Jimmy who never got picked for his school team until he believed in himself then he scored the winning goal in the cup final. god i hate gary linekar

Where do I start? So many quality reads, here's my faves:

1. 'Who Ate All The Pies? The Life and Times of Mickey Quinn' -

The best footballer's autobiography I've ever read. Hilarious. Quinn, who is currently starring in 'Celebrity Fit Club' rose to prominence with spells at Wigan and Portsmouth, but was best remembered from a glorious spell at Newcastle. Quinn, a boozer and womaniser with a penchant for the odd bacon butty, scored a hat-trick on his debut for the Geordies. That evening, after having been bought a drink or forty by the adoring Newcastle public, ended up pissing in a plantpot in the middle of a busy centre bar. Far from being in trouble, it was quite the opposite. The owner of the bar whispered in his ear: "Quinny, keep scoring goals like that and you can piss in my plant pot every week". Nuff said! Legend!

2. Niall Quinn

No relation to the above. Cracking read, great insight into his career and also the World Cup in Japan and South Korea. Him and Roy Keane are sworn enemies and so it's good to read his perspective on events. Interesting to note that all his drinking buddies at Arsenal ended up broken alcoholics and gamblers. Quinn, it was said, drank them all under the table and gambled like there was no tomorrow. Tony Adams and Paul Merson just couldn't keep up! Some brilliant stories. Gary Kelly sounds like a complete nutcase!

3. Stan Bowles

Yet another one of the stereotypical booze/gamble/women footballers, this is a magic tale of a true maverick. One of the greatest footballers of all time, Bowles gambled away over a million pounds in his life, and this was in the 1970s when footballers were on nothing like they are these days. Some great tales of turning up in the dressing room 10 mins before the start of semi-finals and big matches after gambling the night away, there's also some great tales of him hanging out with his mate Phil Lynott of Thin Lizzy fame. Bizarre.

4. The Greatest Footballer You Never Saw : The Story Of Robin Friday

There's a common theme developing!!!!!!!! 1970s footballer Robin Friday was a lower league footballer who made George Best look like a monk. By all accounts a complete nutjob, but by those who saw him play, the greatest footballer to grace these shores. Died aged 39. A true rock n roll footballer. Shame there's little if no footage.

5. The Miracle Of Castel Di Sangro - Phenomenal book. Ask Narc.

just finished 'the pain of glory' about former oakland raiders centre jim otto. fantastic. it's worth reading just to hear the list of injuries he played with. he's had 38 operations including 26 on his knees. snapping the ball for a point after touchdown to beat the 49ers in the dying seconds whilst all the fingers on his right hand are dislocated and one eye is swollen shut. that's a gladiator!

/x

just finished 'the pain of glory' about former oakland raiders centre jim otto. fantastic. it's worth reading just to hear the list of injuries he played with. he's had 38 operations including 26 on his knees. snapping the ball for a point after touchdown to beat the 49ers in the dying seconds whilst all the fingers on his right hand are dislocated and one eye is swollen shut. that's a gladiator!

/x

We're talking about real football in this thread. None of this Americanised nonsense.