aberdeen-music

Nick Cave this w/e

chilli

Guest bluesxman

It was fantastic. Was expecting it to be a more sedate affair so the sheer noise at times was amazing. Only thing that spoiled it for me was all the twats shouting out 'funny' comments and requests such as 'My Old Man's A Dustman'. At least Nick treated them with a nice line in casual disdain and witticism. His droll humour was almost as good as the music.

Yeah, who would have thought the thin black duke could have been such a scream? It was a reminder of just how rich and diverse his back catalogue is when you think that he played absolute classics for two hours and you can still think of twenty or thirty absolute stormers he could have thrown in. And what a fucking noise from a violin! Only one tiny quibble, for some reason he left a verse out of 'God Is In The House', the one about, "Queerbashers with tyrejacks, lesbian counterattacks"... will forgive him though.

Guest bluesxman

His version of the Ship Song was fantastic, in fact he was in very good voice all evening. I liked the fact that although people shouted out requests and he kept saying 'Yeah we can do that', I'm pretty sure none of the requests were fulfilled....It was also nice to see musicians at that level totally f**king up a song like they did with 'Lucy', even trying to restart at the right tempo and messing up again and deciding to abandon it! The slowed down Stagger Lee was another highlight.

It was fantastic. Was expecting it to be a more sedate affair so the sheer noise at times was amazing. Only thing that spoiled it for me was all the twats shouting out 'funny' comments and requests such as 'My Old Man's A Dustman'. At least Nick treated them with a nice line in casual disdain and witticism. His droll humour was almost as good as the music.

yeah, what the fuck was it with these people? i wish they'd just shut up at times - it was getting embarressing. But, you're right, Nick just dismissed them with an arched eyebrow and a casual putdown.

Warren Ellis was astounding on violin / mandolin / feedback - I was worried how Nick would be without Mick Harvey but Ellis seems to be the perfect foil for him. Straight onto bellaunion.com for me the next day and ordered "Ocean Songs" (with the DVD) and a signed poster fir some reason!

His version of the Ship Song was fantastic' date=' in fact he was in very good voice all evening. I liked the fact that although people shouted out requests and he kept saying 'Yeah we can do that', I'm pretty sure none of the requests were fulfilled....It was also nice to see musicians at that level totally f**king up a song like they did with 'Lucy', even trying to restart at the right tempo and messing up again and deciding to abandon it! The slowed down Stagger Lee was another highlight.[/quote']

Ship Song had me in tears - and as for Mercy Seat... wow!

I could write a list as long as my arm for the songs NOT played - Into My Arms, Straight To You, Do You Love Me? - but that just shows how amazing his back catalogue is.

Fuck, I wished I had tickets for Glasgow last night!

Guest bluesxman
yeah' date=' what the fuck was it with these people? i wish they'd just shut up at times - it was getting embarressing. But, you're right, Nick just dismissed them with an arched eyebrow and a casual putdown.

Warren Ellis was astounding on violin / mandolin / feedback - I was worried how Nick would be without Mick Harvey but Ellis seems to be the perfect foil for him. Straight onto bellaunion.com for me the next day and ordered "Ocean Songs" (with the DVD) and a signed poster fir some reason![/quote']

The Ocean Songs DVD is unbelievably good, excellent choice of purchase. I even managed to sell my original CD copy for 9 pound odd on Amazon, score. I cannot believe I have never managed to see Dirty Three live yet, if I can't go next time they play I think I will cry like a little girl. But seeing him play with Nick Cave on Saturday was almost enough to compensate. Straight To You is one of my all time favourite songs, I'm not sure if he actually plays it live very often, if at all, which is a tragedy.

I was actually becoming convinced they were going to walk off when the comments and shouting became over the top.

Just remembered the comedy highlight for me, when some lass shouted out 'Like your moustache Nick' and he stroked it and said 'You do? It's fooking great'....

Just remembered the comedy highlight for me' date=' when some lass shouted out 'Like your moustache Nick' and he stroked it and said 'You do? It's fooking great'....[/quote']

Yeah, that was funny as was the girl with the deep voice that shouted out something and he replied "thank you... sir".

And when someone shouted out "Do you love me?" and he smirked "of course".

Had to be there really, I suppose but made me laugh.

Best quote from the Glasgow show:

(Various audience members): - 'Play a fuckin song, Nick!'

(Nick) - 'Fuck..Cunt..Fuck...it's like playing to a thousand Bobby Gillespies!'

Highlights were a raucous West Country Girl to start, a rowdy Henry Lee (which I've never seen him play live before), Wonderful Life AND Rock Of Gibralter from the oft-ignored Nocturama, and a fucking stunning Jack The Ripper t o close.

O, and Tupelo! Unbelievable.

I loved the fact that he had a pared-down band, yet rocked harder than he has on any of the recent tours. O the irony!

What a show!

What a man!

What a moustache!

Love from christy