aberdeen-music

Mp3 novice stuff

Forsythia

I was looking around for mp3 player today. tad confused. Thought too much and went home. Must sort this out. Has anyone got the Creative Zen Micro? It has a radio too, but a few folk put me off that aspect cos of the poor reception on mp3s in general.Bummer.

Then i looked at the Apple I-pod shuffle portable mp3.

Then the I-pod nano mp3 2gb capacity

Then the Creative Zen nano plus

Then the Sony NWA1000 network walkman 6gb memory

Folk in the know who can be bothered,...let me know, while i read all the stuff on the net.

Cheers!

Guest MerryChristmas
I was looking around for mp3 player today. tad confused. Thought too much and went home. Must sort this out. Has anyone got the Creative Zen Micro? It has a radio too' date=' but a few folk put me off that aspect cos of the poor reception on mp3s in general.Bummer.

Then i looked at the Apple I-pod shuffle portable mp3.

Then the I-pod nano mp3 2gb capacity

Then the Creative Zen nano plus

Folk in the know who can be bothered,...let me know, while i read all the stuff on the net.

Cheers![/quote']

what will you be using it for

OK, well I got a Creative Zen Micro about this time last year and sadly it hasn't stood the test of time. All in all a good wee player but if you do get one my advice is to throw away the headphones you get with it and get a pair which have an L shaped attachement bit instead of a straight one, if you get me. The straight ones aren't as secure and can bugger up your headphone jack making the sound crappy which happened after about 6 months with mine. Having said that it's a great starter MP3 player, very neat and easy to use as long as you treat it right.

I got the new Sony walkman 20gb for christmas and so far so good, the battery life is amazing, I've only had to charge it 3 times since Christmas and I listen to it quite a lot. The software is a bit annoying as it automatically imports all music files into it, so if you have games on your computer you have to scroll through thousands to game music files.

Guest MerryChristmas
Hello' date='

I'll be using it for listening to lots of tunes and a bit of radio too maybe. I don't need millions of tunes on it, but a wide selection is always good. I'm no interested in video/photo stuff....[/quote']

just get a cheapo with an fm tuner, 1gb should do., 5 albums or a huge selection of your favourites

I'd go with the Zen Micro . I've got 60Gb i-pod and the battery life is gash. I does 3 hours at the most, and it gets less and less everytime I charge it and it's like £50 to get the battery replaced but the zen micro is like a mobile phone in that you can take out the battery once it's shot and buy a new one for less than £20 (apparently).

Dunno about radio but apart from that it's a sound wee machine and does it's job well.

I was looking around for mp3 player today...

I got one of these.

Thought it was ace until I took the upgrade and it stuffed my software (fault may be fixed by now as it was wide spread). battery life not as good as I thought probably only 15 hours.

You will need a broadband connection for first set up as it downloads the latest version off the net and takes 20 mins on 0.5Mb.

It looks cool though.

You might want to look at the smaller sony's that have flash memory like the NW-E405 which although small memory has 50 hours battery life! Also less likely to break as no moving parts. Size of cigarette lighter.

Costs around 90-100.

I've always bought ones that run on AAA batteries, with either flash or those wee memory card things. I dont' much fancy a rechargable thing like an I-pod 'cause sometimes i'm out and about for complete days on end and i'll be arsed if i have to carry round a plug with me. Granted, i've gone through three in about 2 years but between £20 and £35 bucks they don't exactly break the bank, PLUS, flash ones are compatable with most PC's without wires. Usually get about 60 songs on one which i change every week or so, not a bad deal.

I have a 1gb NWE-405, i have never had any trouble with it and it usually runs about 50hrs between charges. I've got about 69 albums on there at the lowest quality cause lets face it if you want quality sound u get a personal cd player not an mp3 so the more i can fit on there the better :)

I wouldn't bother with one with a radio bulit in the receptions shite and its an expensive add-on.

The sony nwa1000 is nice too.

iv got a creative zen thingy last june and its still going...which doesnt sound like much of an achievment but its out-run many of my friends' ipods etc....the radio has got poor reception but i think thats the only bad point...its also quite a bit cheaper than a lot of other,similar storage capacitied mp3s,non?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007XQFJU/qid=1139244662/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/026-6232017-2321211

i bought one of these because ipod's are shite. it's a brilliant wee thing with a colour display and an option to switch the battery off if you're not using it for long periods of time so it doesn't discharge when off (as lithium battery players do).