aberdeen-music

HD audio formats - your opinions

incredibledisc

Has anyone else on the board invested in any of the new(ish) Hi definition audio formats? I'd be interested in hearing other people's opinions on them.

I started dabbling after upgrading my DVD player to one with SACD and a surround set up. I've also purchased a few dvd-audios as well. Despite being impressed with the quality and the option in some cases of 5.1 mixes both formats seem to be dying on their arses in the UK :down: There was a big push at the start with all Dylan's back catalogue as well as the Stones, but finding more modern artists has been a real struggle. It would be a real shame if neither format caught on with the public and was left languish in a little audiophile ghetto as they are miles better than regular CDs.

Guest DustyDeviada

No, I'm dying to hear the SACD version of Brothers in Arms which is supposed to be great, and although my amp would support it, the thought of buying a new CD player just to play one CD is putting me off.

No' date=' I'm dying to hear the SACD version of Brothers in Arms which is supposed to be great, and although my amp would support it, the thought of buying a new CD player just to play one CD is putting me off.[/quote']

An important event in Mark's evolution as a guitarist occurred while he was with the Cafe Racers. ,,I was playing a rhythm / lead thing with a plectrum, sort of like [british rock guitarist] Mick Green, he says. ,,I used to use a pick until a few years ago, when I started getting more and more involved with playing without one. Then, a sort of synthesis happened between fingerpicking and getting plectrum-type effects by just using my fingers. Eventually, I found myself doing things with just my thumb and two fingers that I couldn't do with a pick. But I still use a plectrum now and again for strumming or for playing on acoustic tracks."

No' date=' I'm dying to hear the SACD version of Brothers in Arms which is supposed to be great, and although my amp would support it, the thought of buying a new CD player just to play one CD is putting me off.[/quote']

Was tempted to buy it as I quite fancied hearing the title track in full-on mellow 5.1 - reckon it might be ace. Already got "Dark Side of the Moon" which pure rocks in surround!8)

I use my DVD player as my CD player these days as it saves on space... it's kinda how I sold the idea of a surround sound system to my wife:up: Even normal CDs sound better to my ears through the new system as you often get stuff through the rear speakers even though they aren't true surround. Aerosmith's greatest hits sounds pretty ace but then I think it was an HDCD mastered in 24 bit rather than 16 bit in the first place (another idea that never really seemed to catch on) - however, just bought the newer SACD version too for comparison.

Dylan's "Blood on the Tracks" is a remarkably intimate sounding disc in 5.1 too - you feel like you're right in the middle of the recording session. The Who's "Tommy" is another corking listen especially "Pinball Wizard". My favourite at the moment has to be Nine Inch Nail's "The Downward Spiral" - was already an awesome listen but in surround it goes to a whole new level of entertainment.

The DVD-A stuff I have is pretty cool too as you get special features like documentaries and videos included too just like a regular DVD - however the downside is that they will only play on the DVD player and can't be used in a normal CD machine like most SACDs can be.

Guest DustyDeviada
An important event in Mark's evolution as a guitarist occurred while he was with the Cafe Racers. ' date=',I was playing a rhythm / lead thing with a plectrum, sort of like [british rock guitarist'] Mick Green, he says. ,,I used to use a pick until a few years ago, when I started getting more and more involved with playing without one. Then, a sort of synthesis happened between fingerpicking and getting plectrum-type effects by just using my fingers. Eventually, I found myself doing things with just my thumb and two fingers that I couldn't do with a pick. But I still use a plectrum now and again for strumming or for playing on acoustic tracks."

Ha, well I do know that he uses a pick very ocassionally (Expresso Love for example), but the point is that he is still one of the worlds best known fingerpickers, so your claim that I purchased a Mark Knopfler signature pick from ebay is spurious at best. ;)

Although ironically enough I did once buy a set of stuff from ebay which included a Chet Atkins pick - and he is another famous fingerpicker (well, OK, he uses a thumbpick, pedants)

Guest DustyDeviada
I use my DVD player as my CD player these days as it saves on space...

Me too, but my DVD player also has a built in hard drive for recording telly so it wouldn't just be a case of replacing it, I would need to have another box, which Mrs Deviada probably wouldn't be thrilled about.

Would love to hear Blood on the Tracks, was listening to it on my iPod this morning.