aberdeen-music

Favourite music Videos

Birdman

That's a classic :)

I really like rage against the machine's videos' date=' most of them are very well done and have a very good message. The best of them would have to be bulls on parade[/quote']

done by Shynola...

who went on to do most (if not all) of the visuals in Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Come to Daddy - Aphex Twin - all those little kids running around with Richard Jame's face on eek! 8o

Teardrop - Massive Attack - the one with the singing foetus

Buddy Holly - Weezer - the first video I recall that made use of "Forrest Gump" style technology to put the band into "Happy Days" since done in a much more shite way by Citreon.

Jesus Christ Pose & Black Hole Sun - Soundgarden

Hurt - Johnny Cash

One - Metallica - their first video and still the best.

November Rain - Guns and Roses - just for the sheer pompous excess, so over the top you can't help but love it.

Oh, I'm sure I could think of more but its getting late.

While we're on the subject though - why do so many people insist on citing Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody as the first pop video? Many big bands had made a habit of recording promotional clips since the mid 60s to promote their singles while they were on tour etc. It was hardly a novel concept by the time Mercury and co. used it.

While we're on the subject though - why do so many people insist on citing Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody as the first pop video? Many big bands had made a habit of recording promotional clips since the mid 60s to promote their singles while they were on tour etc. It was hardly a novel concept by the time Mercury and co. used it.

Very few bands actually specifically filmed themselves ala Bo Rap, most people just used live footage. Bo Rap was the first proper promotional video in which the video was an intergral part of its success instead of just footage used in the Old Grey Whistle test etc.

Favourite video's...

Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer - a classic

Fish - Internal Exile - stupid, tacky and great

Def Leppard - Let's get rocked - the computer graphics rocked at the time

Dire Straits - Money For Nothing

Theres been loads throughout the years I've loved.

Cheers

Stuart

Radiohead - Just. More thought-provoking than watching the end of "The Italian Job" and being asked to define the word "is" at the same time, whilst hanging one-handed from a cliff-edge with a huge bag of money in the other hand...and an incredibly itchy sphincter.

Ash - Burn, Baby, Burn. for umm... artistic merit or something. Can`t help watching when it comes on anyway.

Guest DustyDeviada
Very few bands actually specifically filmed themselves ala Bo Rap' date=' most people just used live footage. Bo Rap was the first proper promotional video in which the video was an intergral part of its success instead of just footage used in the Old Grey Whistle test etc.

[/quote']

Yeah, not sure I agree with that either, how about the Beatles, they did quite a lot of specific "promo clips" for use when they couldn't be bothered doing TV anymore, Strawberry Fields for example.

But, as people would expect from my avatar, I agree with you on Money For Nothing. I remember thinking it was amazingly brilliant when it came out, and it still looks great today IMO.

Question: Can you have a great video without a great song?

Some people say no, but Weapon of Choice by Fatboy Slim would appear to prove them wrong.

Discuss.