aberdeen-music

underragers at the tunnels

ilobemusic

You know what is sad? That the minority can/could ruin it for the majority of underagers that frequent venues that have band nites for 14s and over.

My daughter and her pals go solely for the music. The right reason. Not the drink. Of course at this stage they always go with me. They dont mind the stamp they get at the Tunnels, mainly cause they want in to listen either to their favourite band, or listen to any new ones on the set list. They dont mind when they know Ive contacted Flash or the venue to ask/inform about them coming along with me.

I've got deep respect for venues and the license laws; having worked in a few when in my early 20's and each time these days when I frequent a "said" venue, I go the extra mile to ensure that my daughter and her pal/s understand that they won't be drinking!! I contact the venue/person etc, and ask thus when I come in, the venue peeps know me and my daughter and her pals! Hehe

Yea. I ask. No big deal. Its about the music not getting pished.

Sure its not cool to sit about with a coke can in front of ya (or perhaps with your ma :p), but the understanding is -- its more serious to get a venue closed due to selfishness. My book: not worth the risk and my daughter and her pals agree.

I've not had any of the problems I've read about in this thread, perhaps because I and my daughter plus her pals --- always show respect for the staff and the law.

They know if they don't they simply wouldn't be allowed to go anymore!

Perhaps I'm the exception to the rule, who knows... but some rules are not made to be broken no matter what.

Too many domino effects!

xx

PS: well said Flash.:up:

So UFB - do you believe:

1) That you have some sort of God given right to risk The Tunnels license?

2) That just so your mates could have something that they were not entitled to' date=' it was worth risking getting The Tunnels shut down?

3) That the jobs and livelihood of everyone who works at The Tunnels is something it is acceptable for you to risk?

4) That the people who own The Tunnels and put their blood sweat, and tears... not to mention a whole heap of money that they have had to work very hard for... it's OK for you to gamble with that?

5) That the people that would no longer be able to frequent The Tunnels, and all the other bands that would no longer be able to play there, are accetable collateral damage?

Because had anything gone wrong, and believe me nobody ever plans to get caught, then that is EXACTLY what would have happened. And it would have been due to your selfish, stupid, thoughless, "nobody will ever find out" action.

Licensing law is very strict compared with the laws that most of you are familair with. There are no let-offs, no cautions, and no warnings. Caught serving someone 1 min after time? Lose your license immediately. For example a well known local kebab shop was licensed to serve food until 4am. There was a queue of people in the shop, some of them had been waiting a while. The police walked past and witnessed the assistant taking money at 4 mins past 4. The shop lost it's license and was closed down. It was it's first and only offence. That was 4 years ago. It' still shut.

But the worst offences under licensing law are:

3) Serving alcohol to someone underage.

2) Killing someone with alcohol

1) And worst of all is killing someone underagewith alcohol.

The definition of 'killing' is pretty broad. If for example one of your underage mates, had walked out in front of a car, and the police had learned that the person had been in The Tunnels beforehand, then a post mortem would have checked for alcohol. Had even a very small quantity of alcohol in their bloodstream - like the one drink you bought them. Then 4 people would have been held personally liable and accountable for that death:

The car driver

The licensee of The Tunnels

The cool bald guy who didn't throw you all out.

You. Yes you, because you are over 18, and you bought a fatal drink for someone you knew was under 18.

The conviction would have been made to stick quite easily. You would all have gone to jail.

But even just serving someone under 18 (who later survives) - which so many of you view as 'OK' - is treated by the courts as being on par with sticking your dick up a 3 year olds ass. They really don't like it :nono: Get caught doing it just once, even by accident, and the venue will lose it's license, and be forced to shut down. And just like underage drinking, this happens all the time. The police do not turn a blind eye.

Right now the police have a big initiative on. They are clamping down hard on anywhere that is reputed to serve drink to people underage. They are sending out people undercover with hidden cameras recording equipment.

Underagers trying to buy drinks for themselves is bad enough, but this is even worse. You should be old enough to know better.[/quote']

Sometimes staff are too busy to do anything do you know how hard it is to spot someone buying drinks for underagers?

I do indeed i have worked in a bar/restraunt, which knew full well they were serving alcohol to underages ( can i just point out that when i worked there the laws were not told to me, and plus i should of even been behind bar as i was only 17 for part of the time i worked there, again it was not told to me that i shouldn't be behind the bar, this was told to me by someone much wiser than i, and if anyone says didnt your parents do anything about it, no they didn't becuase when i started working there, i was only ment to working in the restraunt), i know that the laws and they way they are enforced are getting tougher, which is why i have not bought alcohol for underagers since that night.

The reason i have not bought drink for underagers since that night came a few nights after it, when i had a drunken conversation with someone that owned a pub, and they explained fully why you should not but drink for under 18's, before that i did not realise the full extent of what could to happen to the person/people involved.

So i therefore apologise to any place i have ever bought alcohol for underagers, and therefore putting your business, income, hardwork, blood sweet and tears in danger of being taken away from you.

Steve

underagers drinking in venue's annoys me, i go to a lot of gigs at the tunnels, and if they finally decide it's not worth the risk and make it over 18's only i will be pretty fucking pissed off at whoever's fault it was.

If you want to get wasted go get your mates that are over 18/look over 18 to go to vikki wine, buy you a bottle of buckfast/cider/glens and get hammered at the local bus stop and/or under the local bridgethen get lifted by the local police, then taken home to your parents who couldn't care less what you had being doing.

note: if you are one of the underage drinkers under the brigde in ellon every friday/satarday night please dispose of your condoms sensibly, i don't like having to step over them in the morning when i am walking my dogs.

underagers drinking in venue's annoys me' date=' i go to a lot of gigs at the tunnels, and if they finally decide it's not worth the risk and make it over 18's only i will be pretty fucking pissed off at whoever's fault it was.

If you want to get wasted go get your mates that are over 18/look over 18 to go to vikki wine, buy you a bottle of buckfast/cider/glens and get hammered at the local bus stop and/or under the local bridgethen get lifted by the local police, then taken home to your parents who couldn't care less what you had being doing.

note: if you are one of the underage drinkers under the brigde in ellon every friday/satarday night please dispose of your condoms sensibly, i don't like having to step over them in the morning when i am walking my dogs.[/quote']

hahahah brilliant...even for you ross.

So UFB - do you believe:

1) That you have some sort of God given right to risk The Tunnels license?

2) That just so your mates could have something that they were not entitled to' date=' it was worth risking getting The Tunnels shut down?

3) That the jobs and livelihood of everyone who works at The Tunnels is something it is acceptable for you to risk?

4) That the people who own The Tunnels and put their blood sweat, and tears... not to mention a whole heap of money that they have had to work very hard for... it's OK for you to gamble with that?

5) That the people that would no longer be able to frequent The Tunnels, and all the other bands that would no longer be able to play there, are accetable collateral damage?

Because had anything gone wrong, and believe me nobody ever plans to get caught, then that is EXACTLY what would have happened. And it would have been due to your selfish, stupid, thoughless, "nobody will ever find out" action.

Licensing law is very strict compared with the laws that most of you are familair with. There are no let-offs, no cautions, and no warnings. Caught serving someone 1 min after time? Lose your license immediately. For example a well known local kebab shop was licensed to serve food until 4am. There was a queue of people in the shop, some of them had been waiting a while. The police walked past and witnessed the assistant taking money at 4 mins past 4. The shop lost it's license and was closed down. It was it's first and only offence. That was 4 years ago. It' still shut.

But the worst offences under licensing law are:

3) Serving alcohol to someone underage.

2) Killing someone with alcohol

1) And worst of all is killing someone underagewith alcohol.

The definition of 'killing' is pretty broad. If for example one of your underage mates, had walked out in front of a car, and the police had learned that the person had been in The Tunnels beforehand, then a post mortem would have checked for alcohol. Had even a very small quantity of alcohol in their bloodstream - like the one drink you bought them. Then 4 people would have been held personally liable and accountable for that death:

The car driver

The licensee of The Tunnels

The cool bald guy who didn't throw you all out.

You. Yes you, because you are over 18, and you bought a fatal drink for someone you knew was under 18.

The conviction would have been made to stick quite easily. You would all have gone to jail.

But even just serving someone under 18 (who later survives) - which so many of you view as 'OK' - is treated by the courts as being on par with sticking your dick up a 3 year olds ass. They really don't like it :nono: Get caught doing it just once, even by accident, and the venue will lose it's license, and be forced to shut down. And just like underage drinking, this happens all the time. The police do not turn a blind eye.

Right now the police have a big initiative on. They are clamping down hard on anywhere that is reputed to serve drink to people underage. They are sending out people undercover with hidden cameras recording equipment.

Underagers trying to buy drinks for themselves is bad enough, but this is even worse. You should be old enough to know better.[/quote']

just in case anyone missed it the first time.......well said Flash!!

"underagers" - read this again, print it out and stick it on your bedroom wall beside your Kurt Cobain poster so you can read it eveytime you think about stepping into a venue and risking their liscence. and stop whinging, its really a lot more serious than you and your mates getting so-called abuse and having to go home early. Grr.

• 2 weeks later...

True story people...

When i was 17 I had a total of 4 pints spread out between 2 bars in Westminister Parliament, with at least 1 of the barstaff being completley aware of how old i was, and surrounded by numouress MPs who also knew of my underage status.

If i were to report this, would they lose their license? an amusing thought

• Upvote 1

but it was up to the barstaff wether they served me or not' date=' they knew which group of people i had come from and where myself and the "underagers" were sitting

[/quote']

Ok, no. Just no.

I work in a fairly large club in Glasgow (actually, I'm working a 14+ gig in about 2 hours) which at one time had a reputation for underage drinking. Since then the staff have become very strict about underagers. Infact, at gigs, bar staff aren't allowed to accept ID to serve you alcohol. The bouncers have to see your ID, accept it, then slap a band around your wrist before you can be served. Even when staff are in for gigs we have to get these bands round our wrists. We also have a policiy of no matter who you are, you will only be served one drink at a time. We also tend to keep a track of how often you are at the bar and what you're ordering. With all this going on whilst also serving maybe 450 people (gig capacity) and handling alot of cash, you think that it's my responsibilty to watch who comes in with who, and decide if people sitting 20 ft away are underage, even though they would be allowed in the venue whether they are or not? No. It's really not. We have much better things to do than to watch people approach the bar. If anyone, it was the guy in the suits responsibilty.

True story people...

When i was 17 I had a total of 4 pints spread out between 2 bars in the House of Commons' date=' with at least 1 of the barstaff being completley aware of how old i was, and surrounded by numouress MPs who also knew of my underage status.

If i were to report this, would they lose their license? an amusing thought[/quote']

No but you would be thrown in The Tower of London and publically beheaded under some ancient by-law.

No but you would be thrown in The Tower of London and publically beheaded under some ancient by-law.

haha, no doubt.

A quick dash through my British politics textbooks it appears the bars in Parliament get special treatment to almost every licensing law that is passed above them.

I hear they're also exempt from the smoking ban. what a joke

haha' date=' no doubt.

A quick dash through my British politics textbooks it appears the bars in Parliament get special treatment to almost every licensing law that is passed above them.

I hear they're also exempt from the smoking ban. what a joke[/quote']

If these bars are in the House of Commons then there is no reason why they would be governed by an act of the Scottish Parliament.

If these bars are in the House of Commons then there is no reason why they would be governed by an act of the Scottish Parliament.

yeah, obviously. but i do believe in the draft for the smoking ban for the rest of the U.K that the bars in Parliament are exempt - even ones that meet all criteria for the ban.

this is just internet knowledge so its hardly conclusive, but thats my understanding.

• Upvote 1

i just read through all 7 pages of this pish... i have thoroughly analised it and here are my conclusions:

1. lindsay got kicked outta the tunnels, god knows why, who really cares, "the management reserve the right to blah, blah, blah..."

2. she went to the gig knowing full well she wasnt ment to, and got in through probably mis-comunication between doorman and management.

3. ufb bought a bunch of underagers booze in tunnels, and will now be banned from the moorings if they get a picture of him

4. no one actually seems to care that tunels kicked out a bunch of underagers

5. bars in Parliament get special treatment to almost every licensing law that is passed above them.

6. well, i have no six, but if i did, it would be the best six in the world.

i just read through all 7 pages of this pish... i have thoroughly analised it and here are my conclusions:

1. lindsay got kicked outta the tunnels' date=' god knows why, who really cares, "the management reserve the right to blah, blah, blah..."

2. she went to the gig knowing full well she wasnt ment to, and got in through probably mis-comunication between doorman and management.

3. ufb bought a bunch of underagers booze in tunnels, and will now be banned from the moorings if they get a picture of him

4. no one actually seems to care that tunels kicked out a bunch of underagers

5. bars in Parliament get special treatment to almost every licensing law that is passed above them.

6. well, i have no six, but if i did, it would be the best six in the world.[/quote']

6.ross is a pain in the arse when he wants to be