aberdeen-music

Driving Test :(

feeble!

I failed my practical test this morning :down:

Eurgh, it's such a kick in the teeth - I was already pretty nervous about it, and it didn't help that during my first manoeuvre, the bay park, some prick waited for at least 5 minutes in an empty car park until the examiner had finished speaking to me, I went out of the space I was in and had started to reverse back into it before nipping into the space. This of course meant that I had to stop and go forward and then reverse into a different space, and basically it just got my nerves all shot. After that the test was largely a disaster, due to me being upset/nervous by that guy.

Failing that fucking test is like a major let down, I really thought I would pass it, and kinda needed to seeing as I live in the middle of nowhere. Meh, now I have to wait at least six weeks before I get a retest, this is completely and utterly by far the gayest thing in the world.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me put your mind at rest, it is not all that bad failing first time round, i did and i am glad i did to some degree cause i knew what to expect the second time round, alot of people fail first time. I found that since i really wanted to pass my test first time cause i live in the middle of nowhere aswell, that it made me appreciate having my full license now, i am one of the most careful young drivers out their i have been, that was until some arse decided to ram his car into the back of mine while it was parked up and not leave a note or anything, but thats a whole other story.

The point is seing as i passed second time, and now realise how difficult it was for me to pass, i don't find myself speeding, or driving stupidly, as some fo my friends have found to their cost its a whole load easier to lose you license than it is to get in the first place.

hope that makes you feel a bit better, and remember when you do pass, don't do anything to put your license at risk, thats your freedom, that little pink card.

Steve

I failed my driving test five times. The third time the examiner actually terminated the test halfway through and walked two miles back to the test centre' date=' leaving me in the middle of nowhere waiting for my instructor to pick up his car. That wasn't exactly the proudest moment of my life, believe me.

Some people were not born to drive. Others just need a little more practice.[/quote']

What an asshole!

I am not saying that everyone who passes first time is better than all those who pass second or third time, but I cannot see how people can generaly think this. Can you think of any other competency test, where if you fail then pass, it is better than just passing?

The driving test is a bit slack though. All you need is to drive well for half an hour or so, which is nothing compared to the thousands of hours you will drive after this. A lot of people who passed their driving test, I dunno how they possibly managed this looking at how they drive, how they cannot park, how they have no spacial awareness, and how little awareness they have of anything that isnt DIRECTLY in front of them.

Some of my advice: Once you pass, if you drive fast, then just remember, brake BEFORE you turn, not in the middle of the corner. And don't race. Drive fast by all means, but just don't race. If you do, you are an idiot. And whether you drive fast or not, be constantly scanning around for stuff. Try not to get into the habit of just sitting and staring forward.

I am not saying that everyone who passes first time is better than all those who pass second or third time' date=' but I cannot see how people can generaly think this. Can you think of any other competency test, where if you fail then pass, it is better than just passing?

[/quote']

I think what is partly meant by that common suggestion is that in having to resit your driving test, you generally pick up more experience than if you got your license as quickly as possible. Of course some people pass first time because of a high level of competency, but in other cases it is down to luck- it is easy to come across a situation which, in the 'real world' wouldn't be that big a deal, but could cause you to do something (clip the pavement etc) that would count as a serious fault and fail you.

No doubt you could take two people of equal competence, and see one pass and the other fail because s/he was unlucky and came up against an inconsiderate driver etc. In that case, the latter person would gain more practice in waiting for a second test and have more experience in dealing with unexpected situations.

Of course, another reason a lot of people say that is because they, like me, failed first time and want to make themselves feel better about it.

I definitely agree that luck is down to passing a lot of the time. Some situations examiners put you in during a test are very unrealistic and chosen during the test because of time limitations or traffic being a pain. And being ale to control your nerves. Having failed four times already with a fifth one booked in March, I'm going to stick with the excuse that it's my nerves failing me and not my inability to drive :-P

Whats the average number of lessons a learner should take? Ive had about 30 and havent even started manovering yet. That might be something to do with Fred my 71 year old driving instructor who has poor eyesight.

30 and you havn't started manouveres. I had passed my test (2nd time) with 15 lessons. Everyone goes at different speeds i guess though.

Hard luck feeble but seriosuly don't worry about it. I did exactly the same thing. You'll pass 2nd time.

Well 15 two hour lessons so far but havent had one for months. Think I might a try dual control car with my Dad next. Fred seemed to think he was helping me by doing most of the footwork himself so that if I stalled I wouldnt lose confidence but looking back I think those lessons were a waste of money.

That's ridiculous. I passed first time with around 16 lessons. What have you been doing for 30 hours if you haven't been manoeuvring?

Whats the average number of lessons a learner should take? Ive had about 30 and havent even started manovering yet. That might be something to do with Fred my 71 year old driving instructor who has poor eyesight.

Dude. Dude, get another driving instructor. Seriously. The most I lessons I have heard from having never driving before, to passing, is 30. I had 16, and some people I know had about 10. Then again a guy I know passed 2 days after his 17th birthday.

Seriously though, 30 lessons without manouvres is ridiculous.

Yeah, cheers guys - I'm figuring since I know what to expect I won't be nervous second time around, and also I'll know that it's not the end of the world - it just means having to wait a little bit more if I don't pass.

Either that or I'll smash up my car in a fit of rage and then buy a bicycle :)

Guest tv tanned

I failed my test first time. Very badly (although not quite as badly as Dave).

Mounted the kerb, skidded badly on my emergency stop, stalled on hill start and didn't apply the correct procedures.

I was with BSM initially, and they were an absolute joke. My first instructor just stopped showing up after a while. My second instructor was, I am convinced, under the influence at least once, and didn't show me half the things I needed before my test.

I then went with an independent driving instructor who was a friend of the family, after my hideous failure, and he passed me within seven lessons.

I just got an insurance quote for a car I was gonna buy off eBay, 2900 fucking pounds! Can you believe that shit!!! As you're still 17 I'd stick with public transport/cycle.....be another 2 years before I'm even going to think about looking for a quote, let alone buy another car. I love walking miles in sub zero temperatures aswell...:swearing: :swearing: :swearing: :swearing:

Well 15 two hour lessons so far but havent had one for months. Think I might a try dual control car with my Dad next. Fred seemed to think he was helping me by doing most of the footwork himself so that if I stalled I wouldnt lose confidence but looking back I think those lessons were a waste of money.

You're better to make the mistakes. Once you stall a couple of times on a busy road, the embarrassment is enough to stop you from doing it ever again :)

I have an awful problem as far as driving - I can drive fine, but I'm used to driving my mum's car, and so, finding an instructor that's happy to just get me up to test standard in my mum's car is impossible. It's frustrating because I called a few up, and they all expected me to use a small dual control car. I tried taking a couple of lessons a while back, and I simply can't drive well at all in a small car. I'm thinking about biting the bullet and paying what it costs for an intensive driving course - but even then, I'm not sure I'd be sure of passing in a small car.

Sooo..if anyone has any ideas for an instructor that's willing to give people lessons in their own car, let me know :)

Speaking of driving tests, is it just me that thinks that one off driving tests do nothing as far as encouraging people to be good drivers? I can't see how someone can be capable of driving on motorways/dark scary twisting roads/etc after say 30 hours of lessons, and especially how someone can judge your suitability based on a short test. And of course, the driving test is subjective as hell :\