aberdeen-music

Dereliction & abandoned buildings in aberdeen...

ryan

Guest pop-notmyface
A property developer? Missing out one little detail to sell more houses? surely not...

"Royal Cornhill Hospital opened in November 1800 as the Aberdeen Lunatic Hospital. Built to replace cells provided in the original Infirmary at Woolmanhill since the 1740's for 'those who deprived of the use of their Reason'' date=' the new hospital admitted patients from Aberdeen and other parts of the North-East of Scotland and, at times, from further afield.

The asylum, as it become known, was enlarged on several occasions in the nineteenth century. [b']Elmhill House, a separate building for private patients, opened in 1862"

Cheer up, your try-hard negativity is getting a bit wearing.

was that on the same site?

The infant school on Springhill Road. - think twas called Greenfern?

The petrol station / car garage on North Anderson Drive, near to the Lang Stracht junction.

The abandoned house, offset from Airyhall Road and near to that garden centre - it might be called Airyhall House or something similar?

if you head out towards peterculter' date=' just after the waterwheel Inn there is a for sale board for industrial unit - if you take a right at the wee gatehouse then down the lane to the left is a massssiiivveeee site that is derelict. Not sue what it was used for but it seems to have been some sort of hospital type place. eerie anyway.[/quote']

I think that was Tor na dee hospital.

The abandoned house' date=' offset from Airyhall Road and near to that garden centre - it might be called Airyhall House or something similar?[/quote']

Airyhall house, next to where I live

If you head up craigton road a bit you get to woodlands hospital which is now empty and boarded up too

David

wow' date=' now that sounds interesting.....

but sorry to burst your bubble, according to the developers site, it was a "B listed hospital" now i'm not sure if the B refers to age of the building or the category...but unless they are bending the truth in order to get folks to move into a "former asylum", it is a hospital.

[url']http://www.premierburrell.co.uk/developments/elmhill/

And if you take the trouble to look up the history of the building itself you might find that it was built as the "Private Asylum" for Cornhill.

Frosty Jack's beaten me to it but never mind.

The answer to your question is yes, it is on the same site. If you keep going up through the grounds of Cornhill you will find Elmhill House in all it's glory. It's a beautiful building, and once all the Burrell's scaffolding is gone I highly recommend a look.

I'll stay in my bubble, ta. I live next to the development, I happen to show interest in the building and it's history.

The Burrell are working side by side with Stewart Milne, as Frosty Jack said, do you really expect them to be completely honest if it means the can sell a few more houses by omitting the little details? :)

Guest pop-notmyface
And if you take the trouble to look up the history of the building itself you might find that it was built as the "Private Asylum" for Cornhill.

Frosty Jack's beaten me to it but never mind.

The answer to your question is yes' date=' it is on the same site. If you keep going up through the grounds of Cornhill you will find Elmhill House in all it's glory. It's a beautiful building, and once all the Burrell's scaffolding is gone I highly recommend a look.

I'll stay in my bubble, ta. I live next to the development, I happen to show interest in the building and it's history.

The Burrell are working side by side with Stewart Milne, as Frosty Jack said, do you really expect them to be completely honest if it means the can sell a few more houses by omitting the little details? :) [/color']

see this guy?

he's chllin'.

he's cool.

chill'n.jpg

Guest five years
tivoli isn't derelict or unused. it's just in need of fixing up. it's owned by a trust i believe who are trying to raise cash to reopen it.

=Aberdeen P & J]1 May 2004: The Aberdeen Press and Journal reports that Aberdeen City Council has ruled out converting the Tivoli into the proposed 600-700 seat mid-scale entertainment venue for the city.

ach well...

anyone remember the ABC cinema before it was the lighthouse/vue? that place was VAST! like 2 screens, totally reminded me of the cinema in last action hero...:D

Guest pop-notmyface

i wish i was as cool as that guy....

Stephen Dawkings (i don't know why...)

actually, now that it has come to my mind and in cross-reference to a thread i made, Stephen Hawkings is someone i have great respect for and value lots even though he has "deformities". but sexual offenders with "deformities"? no thanks.

Guest five years
well I believe that Aberdeen used to have 17 cinemas (or so The Kitchen Cynics sleevenotes tell me)

wow...admittedly i only went a few times, and must have only gone to a couple of the screens then...

=Aberdeen P & J]1 May 2004: The Aberdeen Press and Journal reports that Aberdeen City Council has ruled out converting the Tivoli into the proposed 600-700 seat mid-scale entertainment venue for the city.

Do we really need another 600-700 capacity venue? Can't imagine it would make much sense from the council's point of view, seeing as there's already the Lemon Tree catering for that side of things.

There's probably demand for a small (100ish) venue and maybe demand for a 3000-or-so venue similar to the corn exchange, but anything else? can't see it really...

Harsh!

Try Sandilands! Possibly might not be derelict' date=' maybe the inhabitants don't realise that glass is a more efficient material for windows than MDF?[/quote']

Sandilands is nowhere near as bad as it used to be!!!!!!! And its generally the council who cover the windows in perspex or wood to stop the empty flats getting damaged. Fersands Housing Committee has done a fair bit to improve the area.

Go to Logie or Manor instead. You'll find a lot more empty places there.

Do we really need another 600-700 capacity venue? Can't imagine it would make much sense from the council's point of view' date=' seeing as there's already the Lemon Tree catering for that side of things.

There's probably demand for a small (100ish) venue and maybe demand for a 3000-or-so venue similar to the corn exchange, but anything else? can't see it really...[/quote']

It was intended to be a Theatre. Like His Majesty's. Originally so Aberdeen would have a fully functioning Theatre while HMT was being refurbished.

It was never intended to be a music venue.

The Tivoli is without doubt the best "public" buliding in Aberdeen I've been into, and I've been in a fair few. It's like a timewarp when you go in it though - think Phoenix Nights set up for the bingo. It pisses over HMT. Some dude bought it for like £100,000 or something in 1973 and refuses to sell it on. There was a campaign to get it running on, but despite the groups and the City Architects best efforts the Council decided to keep it closed (and flooded.)

There was a great link posted just the other day here with all the info you will ever need on old and new cinemas/theatres in Aberdeen

http://www.chem.gla.ac.uk/~gbarr/cinemas/scotland/aberdeen/index.html

I can't believe how many places USED to be a theatre...like the Lucky Boat Chinese, Atmosphere Light and Sound, shops on Union Street etc.....

personally I think it would be grand to see the Tivoli open lovely building with a real bit of character about it, but times have changed...my dad has lots of fond memories of the place (the kids with money would go to the cinema, those without went to tivoli, got their juice, saw a show, got teh bus home and still had change for a bag of chips out a halfpenny :D), but those were very different times indeed :D

It was intended to be a Theatre. Like His Majesty's. Originally so Aberdeen would have a fully functioning Theatre while HMT was being refurbished.

It was never intended to be a music venue.

The Tivoli is without doubt the best "public" buliding in Aberdeen I've been into' date=' and I've been in a fair few. It's like a timewarp when you go in it though - think Phoenix Nights set up for the bingo. It pisses over HMT. Some dude bought it for like 100,000 or something in 1973 and refuses to sell it on. There was a campaign to get it running on, but despite the groups and the City Architects best efforts the Council decided to keep it closed (and flooded.)[/quote']

Would it really make sense to have another theatre though, funded with public money? Aberdeen City Council already chucks a hell of a lot of money at the arts, some with questionable merit - so to throw yet more money at something like that is decidedly dodgy, especially when there's an alternative available.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who objects to massive council tax increases year on year, after all.