aberdeen-music

The Void & Femora @ Dr Drakes

Guest Philip

Guest Philip

The Void:

What a great band this is, four very talented young musicians who play serious, have fun and entertain in equal measure.

Their sound is a concoction of many varied styles, but with a main theme of 'space rock'. I dont like using other bands as reference, but think Pink Floyd/Hawkwind circa 1971, but with a musical scope far broader than either of the aformentioned bands.

The set was fun filled, but always musical, despite a few set backs like a broken string and slight tuning problems. They have one amazing drummer, 'mini John Bonham' gave a solo which impressed me loads, a not to be missed band.

.......................................................................................

Femora:

Femora impressed me greatly. Their sound is a musically direct twin guitar assault on the senses complete with interesting rhythmic twists and turns from the bass and drums. Someone has called them 'creepy rock', I hear what they mean, the music does have an 'otherness' to it.

The vocal mix was less than ideal, but this didn't stop us from hearing Crocker's interesting/refreshing aproach to singing.

Overall a great gig which I think, at this early stage, is quite an achievement. I look forward to seeing them again in the future.

hmmm, the void.... they started off so well for me. i arrived on a very zed leppelinny song, perhaps the second one or something. i thought they were going to stay in that vein, but they veered off and stayed interesting. it was like prounge rock or something. it was the sort of music that there should have been very large comfy couches for, perhaps some joints and definitely sleazy women. one of the early songs was very sleazy, the rhythm guitar really stuck out as being very dirty and un-wholesome. it was good. but about half way through the set it just kind of turned sour for me, probably around the time that the guitarist's string broke. ironic really, i remember earlier in their set thinking, "wow, i can't believe how in tune those guitars sound, it's lovely". by the end of the set i was thinking exactly the opposite. i did enjoy their dabbling with the wee korg thing, just wish they'd done it a bit more and maybe went a bit more off the beaten track.

Yeah cheers for coming! The string snapping really hurt us bad! the guitar i borrwed wasnt in tune either, and i foolishly tried to play it behind my back which didn't work out. lol, trust me, i can do that trick on my own instrument... lol

And clive, you probably saw us a long time ago. So try coming again.

Thanks for the feedback dudes

Yay! Feedback. Proof that ppl have actually listened to us. Thanks for the good reviews, despite our less-than-perfect set. If you were in any way interested, then please consider coming to see us again, cos we don't intend to have technical problems like that ever again.

Uhhh..... Clive.......

.....................um.................... Thanks for being honest?

Originally posted by Aaron Gilman:

was there not another less than serious "act" on the bill?

my highlight of the night was Aarons lil rendition of blackbird at the start of his set :)

i loved that second song in the voids set...another song sounded like shine on you crazy diamond by pink floyd...a bit too english at times tho

Originally posted by Hendrix:

Nice tip there from NME reviewer of the year.

Thats not really much of an insult really. Depending ofcourse on what you are saying exactly. If you are suggesting that NME reviews are terrible then of course I agree, if you are implying sarcasm and saying that Clives comment doesnt quite meet with the terribly low standards of NME then I think you are being abit silly. Clive was honest, which is not exactly anything you can accuse NME of.

Is the void the band with Guser Deboth on Drums? And I would assume that Less than Stu is 6th year Stu from Grammar. Ah the joys of anonymity .