aberdeen-music

Is this festival actually in 1976 or 2006?

french_disko

Alice Cooper?? Deep Purple????

Holy shit, what year is this? If there's a worse set of headliners for any festival in the UK this year I'd been be stunned.

It's like a 70s timewarp of bad hair, bad metal and just general all round bad-ness.

http://www.nme.com/news/alice-cooper/21993

Headliners for rock festival revealed

And it's a "monster"

The line-up for the Monsters of Rock festival has been announced.

The one-day rock festival at Milton Keynes Bowl on June 3 will be joint headlined by Alice Cooper and Deep Purple.

The hard rock festival began in 1980. Acts who have played there in the past have included Ozzy Osbourne and Guns 'N' Roses.

Tickets are due to go on sale on January 20. For ticket availability after then, go to NME Tickets or call them on 0870 1 663 663.

Holy shit' date=' what year is this? If there's a worse set of headliners for any festival in the UK this year I'd been be stunned.

It's like a 70s timewarp of bad hair, bad metal and just general all round bad-ness.

[url']http://www.nme.com/news/alice-cooper/21993

And it's a "monster"

The one-day rock festival at Milton Keynes Bowl on June 3 will be joint headlined by Alice Cooper and Deep Purple.

The hard rock festival began in 1980. Acts who have played there in the past have included Ozzy Osbourne and Guns 'N' Roses.

Tickets are due to go on sale on January 20. For ticket availability after then, go to NME Tickets or call them on 0870 1 663 663.

Weren't you the one argueing in another posting about tollerance at Festivals and the Reading Festival staying the way it is varied music styles.

Your not preaching tollerance now!!!!!

There has been a huge gap in the market for many years for a festival that older rock fans can attend and not stand out like a sore thumb.

The Monsters of Rock has been resurected to fill this gap, you wont be attending so why worry about it.

Im not a huge fan of Deep Purple but some of your mates from Buckie still go and see Alice Cooper on every tour and i can see why he is still an excellant showman and thats what its all about entertainment.

With the Rolling Stones and The Eagles doing stadium shows this year Deep Purple and Alice aren't the only 60's, 70's bands doing the rounds.

Weren't you the one argueing in another posting about tollerance at Festivals and the Reading Festival staying the way it is varied music styles.

Your not preaching tollerance now!!!!!

There has been a huge gap in the market for many years for a festival that older rock fans can attend and not stand out like a sore thumb.

The Monsters of Rock has been resurected to fill this gap' date=' you wont be attending so why worry about it.

Im not a huge fan of Deep Purple but some of your mates from Buckie still go and see Alice Cooper on every tour and i can see why he is still an excellant showman and thats what its all about entertainment.

With the Rolling Stones and The Eagles doing stadium shows this year Deep Purple and Alice aren't the only 60's, 70's bands doing the rounds.[/quote']

Tolerance is one thing & listenting to new music is another - but I just find it really astounding that the best they can do for The Monsters of Rock is get those bands to headline.

Then again, what's the target audience? Are they resurrecting the festival purely on nostalgia for the past festivals?

And how much of a bill is there going to be? One stage? Two stage?

And what the fuck is the Mosters of Rock doing in Milton Keynes and not Donington?????

Download probably have a clause saying no other festivals at Donnington this year, saying that Download is the week after so a festival a week before would destroy the grass surely.

I would imagine it'll be one stage and as for Deep Purple headlineing you'll be suprised how little big Metal bands there are that could Headline a major festival.

Download haven't announced who's headlineing this year and that could be Iron Maiden or ACDC and Reading/Leeds usually have a big Metal band headline too so its gonna be really intresting to see how this pans out.

What's the point in this argument? If you think that Alice Cooper and Deep Purple shouldn't be headlining a festival who would you put above them? I don't see any bigger bands kicking about the UK at the moment. Metallica and Iron Maiden headlined the last few Leeds/Reading ones and no one really complained about that, in fact, they put on some of the best shows of the weekend (and I don't particularly like 'em).

What's the point in this argument? If you think that Alice Cooper and Deep Purple shouldn't be headlining a festival who would you put above them? I don't see any bigger bands kicking about the UK at the moment. Metallica and Iron Maiden headlined the last few Leeds/Reading ones and no one really complained about that' date=' in fact, they put on some of the best shows of the weekend (and I don't particularly like 'em).[/quote']

I agree, where are the the new bands capable of headlining / have the pulling power? Just like most other genres nostalgia seems to be the order of the day due to the lack of replacement for the older acts. All you see now is rock kids going around with AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, Ozzy and Kiss tshirts. Even Metallica, Slayer, Chilli's etc are 20 years old. Sad but true...but not as sad as The Daftness.

• 1 month later...

Holy shit' date=' what year is this? If there's a worse set of headliners for any festival in the UK this year I'd been be stunned.

[url']http://www.nme.com/news/alice-cooper/21993

And it's a "monster"

Well it is monsters of rock. It's not exactly going to be anything new or exciting.

I don't understand the problem here, were you planning on going to this festival anyway?!

I doubt being relevant comes into the equation, it appears to be a festival of old rock bands playing. A lot of people like those bands, and will probably have fun. FUN. FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN.

Guest neil ex
I don't understand the problem here' date=' were you planning on going to this festival anyway?!

I doubt being relevant comes into the equation, it appears to be a festival of old rock bands playing. A lot of people like those bands, and will probably have fun. FUN. FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN.[/quote']

Are you going Richard? ;)

i was mainly referring to alice cooper and deep purple...

they should try to get Van Halen or KISS for next years one' date=' that would really rile up folks like yourself:up:[/quote']

only if Sammy Hagar or that weird looking bloke from Extreme were singing - I'm assuuming Diamond Dave Lee Roth is still alive though?

Kiss would be worth watching if they had Gene's band from "Rock School" on.

Not all us classic rock fans are fat old men with beards you know. Sounds good to me but if I go to a festival this year its going to be the Swedish Rock festival: http://www.swedenrock.com/frameset.cfm. They know how to rock over there.

I've actually been struck dumb with the list of bands playing.......

WHITESNAKE (UK)

DEEP PURPLE (UK)

ALICE COOPER (US)

JOURNEY (US)

VENOM (UK)

TED NUGENT(US)

CELTIC FROST (CH)

W.A.S.P. (US)

GAMMA RAY (D)

KROKUS (CH)

JEFF HEALEY BAND (CAN)

PORCUPINE TREE(UK)

DRAGONFORCE(UK)

CACTUS (US)

GEORGE THOROGOOD & The Destroyers (US)

THE SENSATIONAL ALEX HARVEY BAND(UK)

ANVIL(CAN)

CATHEDRAL (UK)

MOLLY HATCHET (US)

DORO (D)

THE SWEET (UK)

EASY ACTION (S)

NEVERMORE (US)

METAL CHURCH (US)

EVERGREY (S)

ONSLAUGHT(UK)

FROM BEHIND (S/UK/US)

BONFIRE(D)

NEIL TURBIN'S DEATHRIDERS(US)

BLITZKRIEG(UK)

LORD BELIAL (S)

TIGERTAILZ(UK)

NASTY IDOLS(S)

FIREWIND (GR/S)

JADED HEART (D)

RAISE HELL (S)

HOUSE OF SHAKIRA(S)

THE STORYTELLER (S)

only if Sammy Hagar or that weird looking bloke from Extreme were singing - I'm assuuming Diamond Dave Lee Roth is still alive though?

Kiss would be worth watching if they had Gene's band from "Rock School" on.

aye diamond dave is still with us' date=' he's put on the pounds a bit, so the catsuit doesnt fit as well as it used to8)

KISS would be worth watching anytime, anywhere, anyhow......

....these are crraazy,crazy,crazy crazy nights....:music:

WHITESNAKE (UK)

DEEP PURPLE (UK)

ALICE COOPER (US)

JOURNEY (US)

VENOM (UK)

TED NUGENT(US)

CELTIC FROST (CH)

W.A.S.P. (US)

DRAGONFORCE(UK)

GEORGE THOROGOOD & The Destroyers (US)

THE SENSATIONAL ALEX HARVEY BAND(UK)