aberdeen-music

Unsigned? want to get signed? read more....

mcrmusic

Out Now!

The Brand New 2006 UK Unsigned Guide

Now with full UK coverage: Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales, Yorkshire, North East, North West, Greater London, East of England, South West, South East of England & The Midlands.

The Unsigned Guide just got bigger and better - significantly!

Previously spanning two separate editions (Greater London & North West of England), The Unsigned Guide is back for 2006 in one new total package now including essential music industry contacts for England, Northern Ireland, Scotland & Wales. Produced in association with Sound Control, Europes largest musical instrument retailer, The UK Unsigned Guide now weighs in at a whopping 872 pages (over twice the size of the 2003 North West edition!) and is packed with over 11,500 fully researched contacts each with an accompanying paragraph explaining how they can help you as an unsigned band. Already undoubtedly a must have for any aspiring unsigned band anywhere, the new UK edition is crammed full of useful information and phone numbers for everyone any band would ever think to call. From record company A&R, publishers, recording studios, guitar shops, press titles and management companies, The Unsigned Guide will help any musicians with ambition anywhere in the UK.

All the information has been fully revised for 2006; the hottest new nights, the most important people and the coolest labels throughout the UK, from the furthest corners of Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales, to all the major cities in England. All this means that wherever you live in the UK, you can guarantee The Unsigned Guide lists all the necessary industry contacts not only for your town or city but also for every other UK city. No other music industry directory can promise to be such a comprehensive resource for unsigned bands.

As an unsigned band, musician or manager we guarantee this will be undoubtedly one of the most important buys youll make this year.

If youre serious about your music (and you live in the UK!), The UK Unsigned Guide is essential. Its as simple as that.

Be sure to check www.theunsignedguide.com to order your copy now!

www.theunsignedguide.com

www.soundcontrol.co.uk

To say that if you have talent and appeal you will get signed aint right though, its never that easy. Having the sort of information the unsigned guide provides could aid in getting you signed up.

naturally - as with anyhting else - it depends on the circumstances of the individual and sure, its not a roadmap to success but it is a tool to help out on a hard road, nothing wrong with that in my book. Nothing wrong with providing the type of service that helps people around the woods either.

To say that if you have talent and appeal you will get signed aint right though' date=' its never that easy. Having the sort of information the unsigned guide provides [b']could aid in getting you signed up.

naturally - as with anyhting else - it depends on the circumstances of the individual and sure, its not a roadmap to success but it is a tool to help out on a hard road, nothing wrong with that in my book. Nothing wrong with providing the type of service that helps people around the woods either.

And the more tools in a toolkit the better. Helps if you know how, or desire, to use them properly though...

Also recommend Sonicbids, you create an EPK (Electronic press Kit) which includes bios, mp3's, video's, stage requirements, lyrics, photos, press etc and you can email it to various venues, production companies, festivals etc.

Sonicbids seems to be increasingly used for events like Musicworks, In the City etc as well so is well worth investing in.

if u have the talent and appeal' date=' u will get signed. as simple as[/quote']

WRONG.....

The talent is just a tiny bit of it, sadly you have to be prepared to do a huge ammount of non music related work to get a deal of any kind these days.....and thats the book that'll help you.

Its not all about getting a deal anyway, if you want to record, get management, get gigs, find artwork....etc etc etc, its a good book for any serious band to have.

G...

Guest Mr Blastcap
Alot of bands get signed without talent or appeal

arf, i remember reading a thing with the twit singer from feeder, as well as polishing his ultra bland music a key effort he made was walking miles across london to talk shite too important types and "get the vibe about feeder out there" which does seem to explain a why a band so god awfull that they could be brain damaged got a record deal. harumpff.

good job the edit button works, people get all uppitty when i use the word "spakker"

Hold it kids!

I've seen bands come and I've seen bands go over the past four decades or so - and one thing is certain. Each and every band that has reached a certain level will get looked at and apraised by the major lables.

They are looking for

1. A following.

2. Talent. (i.e. the band is made of musicians who play at a professional standard).

3. GOOD TUNES.

4. Stage craft.

5. Photogenic looks.

If you have ever played a major club or event, yoiu will have been looked at. They will ask themselves if the band on stage can tick those five boxes. Maybe you are so good that they might want you even if you do not have good tunes or if the drummer can't keep the beat. Tunes can be bought and you can throw out the poor drummer and get a good one.

Sorry Kielan, but you are not even close.

It is one of the myths of the music business that you do not need talent. OK, some acts are more talented than others, but they all have oodles of talent.

My favorite example is the Beasty Boys. Massive talent. They can do anything from hip-hop, cool jazz, through to Schubert.

Hold it kids!

I've seen bands come and I've seen bands go over the past four decades or so - and one thing is certain. Each and every band that has reached a certain level will get looked at and apraised by the major lables.

They are looking for

1. A following.

2. Talent. (i.e. the band is made of musicians who play at a professional standard).

3. GOOD TUNES.

4. Stage craft.

5. Photogenic looks.

If you have ever played a major club or event' date=' yoiu will have been looked at. They will ask themselves if the band on stage can tick those five boxes. Maybe you are so good that they might want you even if you do not have good tunes or if the drummer can't keep the beat. Tunes can be bought and you can throw out the poor drummer and get a good one.[/quote']

OK so using your 5 points justify Oasis, status quo, sex pistols, gorillaz etc etc etc etc....

There are sooooooooo many exceptions to your 5 rules it renders them pointless.

I have spoken to dozens of a&r and scouts who tell me what they look for, they then sign a band who have none or little of what they claim to look for, I believe what you claim to be the things labels look for is actually what you would like them to look for.

OK so using your 5 points justify Oasis' date=' status quo, sex pistols, gorillaz etc etc etc etc....

There are sooooooooo many exceptions to your 5 rules it renders them pointless.

I have spoken to dozens of a&r and scouts who tell me what they look for, they then sign a band who have none or little of what they claim to look for, I believe what you claim to be the things labels look for is actually what you would like them to look for.[/quote']

well, first off oasis are a bunch of good looking guys who have musical talent(many will disagree) they are extremely commited and amazing live

as for gorillaz, well its a brit pop legend, just like tom delonge did with box car racer and now angels and airwaves (the label has no fucking clue what its gonna sound like, only that its gonna sell shitloads