aberdeen-music

I nearly wet myself when I read this:

wasn't a reunion announced last year? I have no idea what that article says as the nme site is blocked at work. But I can't find any recent news anywhere else about the pumpkins. What does it say?

Smashing Pumpkins set to reform for festivals

Live dates this year looking more likely

Smashing Pumpkins are strongly rumoured to be reforming this summer for live shows - with Coachella touted as their comeback.

Singer Billy Corgan has made no secret of the fact he wants to reform his old band, and NME.COM has learned the band are set to make their comeback at the Californian festival on April 30.

Writing recently on his webpage, Corgan hinted reformation plans were coming along.

"The surprise I have in store for you all will be announced soon enough," he said. "Hold on to your horses. After all, good things surely comes to those who wait....Don't you just love the suspense?"

Corgan remains friends with former Pumpkins drummer Jimmy Chamberlain, and is also in contact with the band's second bassist Melissa Auf Der Maur, having collaborated with her on her forthcoming second solo album.

The first rumours of the band reforming came when the singer took out an advert in the local Chicago Tribune newspaper where he said "his heart" remains with his old band.

He wrote: "When I played the final Smashing Pumpkins show on the night of December 2, 2000, I walked off the stage believing that I was forever leaving a piece of my life behind. I naively tried to start a new band, but found that my heart wasn't in it. I moved away to pursue a love that I once had but got lost. So I moved back home to heal what was broken in me, and to my surprise I found what I was looking or. I found that my heart is in Chicago, and that my heart is in the Smashing Pumpkins.

"For a year now I have walked around with a secret, a secret I chose to keep. But now I want you to be among the first to know that I have made plans to renew and revive the Smashing Pumpkins. I want my band back, and my songs, and my dreams. In this desire I feel I have come home again."

Smashing Pumpkins split in 2000 after the release of their final album 'Machina'. Following the split Corgan formed Zwan, who split after one record.

IPC MEDIA 1996-2006, All rights reserved | Site User Terms | Privacy Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Buy Our Content

The Go! Team (Interview)Jose Gonzales (Video)Graham Coxon (Video)Regina Spektor (Video)

In The Magazine

Billy Corgan is a trickster. That said, I would love to see the Pumpkins reform. As long as they actually went back to work & started cranking out music again, not just played greatest hits sets at festivals. Not that the latter is likely.

Adore and Machina weren't really that popular compared to Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie. If the reformation goes ahead, will they resume making dark and underappreciated music, or will it be a return to the good old days? I wonder. Probably Billy Corgan will do whatever he likes, which is good enough for me.

oh my god' date=' that would be fucking great! i never got to see the pumpkins cos the night I had tickets to on the Mellon Collie tour was the day Jimmy Chamberlain got arrested for all the shit that happened with the dead keyboardist.[/quote']

Thats really unlucky, the MCIS era would have definately the best time to have seen the band live.

Nah i would with Adore era' date=' even though it would mean no Jimmy, just to get more of their best songs.[/quote']

That's just crazy talk!

Adore is possibly the Pumpkins best record, but the live performances I don't think were as good as the mid-period of the MCIS tour just before Johnathon Melvoin OD'ed... The arrangements of the Adore songs live were great (the Arising! Tour version of Ava Adore is better though), but the dodgy arrangements of older songs such as Bullet with Butterfly WIngs and Zero were a bit guff.

That's just crazy talk!

Adore is possibly the Pumpkins best record' date=' but the live performances I don't think were as good as the mid-period of the MCIS tour [i']just before Johnathon Melvoin OD'ed... The arrangements of the Adore songs live were great (the Arising! Tour version of Ava Adore is better though), but the dodgy arrangements of older songs such as Bullet with Butterfly WIngs and Zero were a bit guff.

You might be right. I did see a live performance of BWBW on the telly from the Adore era and it was painful listening.

• 2 weeks later...
Smashing Pumpkins set to reform for festivals

Live dates this year looking more likely

Smashing Pumpkins are strongly rumoured to be reforming this summer for live shows - with Coachella touted as their comeback.

Singer Billy Corgan has made no secret of the fact he wants to reform his old band' date=' and NME.COM has learned the band are set to make their comeback at the Californian festival on April 30.

[/quote']

no sign of pumpkins on the line up for coachella yet but could still happen

SATURDAY APRIL 29, 2006

Depeche Mode

Daft Punk

Franz Ferdinand

Sigur Ros

Damian Jr Gong Marley

Common

Atmosphere

Carl Cox

My Morning Jacket