aberdeen-music

Young audiences

The Milner

Fair enough if the band has a younger audience' date=' but I understand why anyone serious about music would find it a little funny that said band doesn't click with older and more discerning audiences.[/quote']

Is there any band out there that doesn't click with audiences of all ages?

If we're specifically speaking of audiences, does it really matter to the band who likes them, as long as they do? Obviously it matters to other parties involved, but to the band, any audience is a good audience, no? There's the issue of retaining the fans - but on a local level, bands like Stayover and MMW have done a pretty good job of not only keeping a core of hardcore fans, but also adding on extra ones as they go along.

I do think though, that a high turnover of fans could be a bad thing when it comes to inspiring a band to keep evolving.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tv tanned

It's good if there are bands with a younger audience, particularly if they are then gigging with bands who the youngsters can then become familiar with and have their tastes opened up to other genres etc.

So there you have it folks, Stayover are a gateway drug...

Is there any band out there that doesn't click with audiences of all ages?

If we're specifically speaking of audiences' date=' does it really matter to the band who likes them, as long as they do? Obviously it matters to other parties involved, but to the band, any audience is a good audience, no? There's the issue of retaining the fans - but on a local level, bands like Stayover and MMW have done a pretty good job of not only keeping a core of hardcore fans, but also adding on extra ones as they go along.

I do think though, that a high turnover of fans could be a bad thing when it comes to inspiring a band to keep evolving.[/quote']

Well I think this is where you see the obvious divergence into entertainment product and art. The way you describe it is a pretty cynical attitude that is more suited to running a business, of course perhaps thats what certain bands think it's all about in the first place. Personally I just think that when the people who identify most with your lyrics and music are all pubescent kids it says a lot about the musicians themselves, which I do find quite amusing. But thats just my own point of view so don't bite my head off.

It's good if there are bands with a younger audience' date=' particularly if they are then gigging with bands who the youngsters can then become familiar with and have their tastes opened up to other genres etc.

[/quote']

Nail on head.

I reckon if I never went to gigs when I was younger I would probably still have a very narrow taste of music.

The AUBL all-dayer at Christmas was a perfect example of why some younger audiences aren't desirable. Throughout all the bands (before 10 o'clock) there was an amorphous group of about 40-50 young uns just arsing about at the entrance not giving a shite about the music at all. They were all too busy taking photos or running around and when they were in the actual venue they were mostly walking around looking for their mates.

I guess it usually goes with the age of the band, when we were 16 we filled drakes with 16 year olds when we played. Stayover and AUBL gigs are just crazy phenomena?

Like someone said earlier, it shouldn't matter. Yes, you can say that it would open up younger one's ears to other music, but take a good percentage of Stayover (to use as an example, seeing as Milner started the thread about his band) fans who can be seen at Stayover gigs only, which is a shame. And as 'Cocoass said, younger crowds can be a pain in the arse. Mind you, a lot of kids are much more well-mannered and better company than many oldies...

Thanks for the answer :)

I really didn't know the answer' date=' it wasn't obvious because places will sell cans of juice for 1.50, yet pay what, 30p a can for them? What I didn't know was just how many cans a venue would expect to sell, or how many glasses of coke/etc that they'd be likely to sell to an underage crowd.

[/quote']

i worked in drummodns for a little time of the summer and there was a gig on one friday that was packed with udnerages. id not seen it so busy in ages, and only about1 in 5 where over 18. yet the bar was still busy with kids buying cans of coke and red bull.

the enxt day i was working and someone asked Eric if it was worth the hassle having underages in if they cant buy alcholo and he pointed out that we sell cans of coke for 1.20 yet the only cost 30p. so he makes 90p profit on everyone he sells. and that makes it worth while.

so i guess we must have sold heaps of soft drinks cause he didnt seem to think they made a difference to bar profits.

but i know id rather just drink water than stupidly priced soft drinks

Sometimes i wonder why venues would rather have 30 older people listen to some 'interesting music' or 200 teens in there listen to a different line up...they'd make way more money!

**cough**TUNNELS**cough...cough**

Sometimes i wonder why venues would rather have 30 older people listen to some 'interesting music' or 200 teens in there listen to a different line up...they'd make way more money!

Because some venues, like the Tunnels, are established for the benefit of promotiong good and yes "interesting" music and not primarily for making money. This is obviously a good thing rather than wanting to fuck music and care only for taking money from kids.

The Tunnels is one of the best Venues in aberdeen for this reason, its there for the music. To some people, 30 older people who actually care about what music they're listening is quite an achievement.

Like someone said earlier' date=' it shouldn't matter. Yes, you can say that it would open up younger one's ears to other music, but take a good percentage of Stayover (to use as an example, seeing as Milner started the thread about his band) fans who can be seen at Stayover gigs only, which is a shame[/quote']

I reckon this is a good point. But the reason being you only find these people at Stayover gigs is because they promote their music to young people especially. They tell them where the gigs are ect. A lot of kids love going to gigs they just dont know where to find them. They generally need to be told where the gigs are and when they are, and then they will happily show up to see a band.

And as for the monkey or rejektness....i thought you gave up drinking red bull.

I reckon this is a good point. But the reason being you only find these people at Stayover gigs is because they promote their music to young people especially. They tell them where the gigs are ect. A lot of kids love going to gigs they just dont know where to find them. They generally need to be told where the gigs are and when they are' date=' and then they will happily show up to see a band.[/quote']

That has been done a lot(if you check Stayover forums and Myspace communities) and you still find there has been heaps more that go to other gigs as of late but there are still people who tend just to go if it is Stayover or their friends.

Because some venues' date=' like the Tunnels, are established for the benefit of promotiong good and yes "interesting" music and not primarily for making money. This is obviously a good thing rather than wanting to fuck music and care only for taking money from kids.

The Tunnels is one of the best Venues in aberdeen for this reason, its there for the music. To some people, 30 older people who actually care about what music they're listening is quite an achievement.[/quote']

That's pretty much spot on!

For anyone out there that knows the guy who runs The Tunnels, you'll know that music is pretty much his life! The guy knows his stuff.

Because some venues' date=' like the Tunnels, are established for the benefit of promotiong good and yes "interesting" music and not primarily for making money. This is obviously a good thing rather than wanting to fuck music and care only for taking money from kids.

The Tunnels is one of the best Venues in aberdeen for this reason, its there for the music. To some people, 30 older people who actually care about what music they're listening is quite an achievement.[/quote']

Fair point, but the way to wored it, it sounds a bit like you assume a gig with a large younger audience will have shitty music...

But I do see where your coming from :)

i actually think there are some short sighted and ignorant views in this thread as well as some good ones.

Stayover do have a young crowd. Thing ive noticed is though is that they maintain the same core following that you see at every gig and these people are getting older. Blink 182 were always seen as a really young persons band but as they developed they took alot of the younger audience with them into adulthood, no reason why Stayover couldnt do this. Im not comparing Stayover to blink musically (theyre miles apart) but they are classed in the same genre and it is possible for these types of bands to have an audience that "grows up" with them.

Im very proud that MMW have a huge cross section of ppl that like our band. In general terms we have the young girls and guys starting to get into heavier stuff right through to the 30 odd year old dude that first saw maiden on the seventh son of a seventh son tour you know?

People know when a band is bad wether or not it has the right haircut on it. Some of this thread was actually insulting to alot of the gig going public in Aberdeen. Yeah ok, you get the idiots that run around, take photos of themselves all night and dont pay any attention at all at the show but hey...we were all young once and we have all been impressionable and "followed the crowd" a few times in our life yeah? These people wont be at gigs in a year or so so dont worry.

Guest Main Agent
could you explain this more please' date=' im not quite sure what you mean.[/quote']

Erm...sorry I went out after I typed that, what was the Q...???

I mean as long as you are giving the audience material that is of a relevant standard and not selling them less than what they have paid for.....:)

(to use as an example' date=' seeing as Milner started the thread about his band) [/quote']

no i never i started this thread about how bands who have young audiences get abuse for it. Its not just us, we are not the only band in the world who seems to have a large following of young fans.

Anyway we have uncle ian, nuff said.