aberdeen-music

Young audiences

The Milner

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's just snobbery, younger fans don't care less about if the music is "challenging" or whether it makes them explore new boundaries, they just want to hear what they like. In some people's eyes, that's a crime - but at the end of the day, what does it matter if your fans are 14 or 40?

I suppose some people would say that young fans are annoying too, but imo, you get annoying people at all gigs, so that's a moot point.

As for it being good - of course it's good, the kids of today are the adults of tomorrow.

From a venue perspective, I'd be very interested to know if a bar makes more money through kids or through adults - especially considering the mark up on soft drinks is absolutely ridiculous.

From a venue perspective' date=' I'd be very interested to know if a bar makes more money through kids or through adults - especially considering the mark up on soft drinks is absolutely ridiculous.[/quote']

Where as the mark-up on beer at venues is very reasonable!

Beer has gone up almost 300% in the past 10 years.

I was wondering today after reading some posts' date=' what is the problem with having a young fan base? Alot of people seem to try and belittle bands when they have a lot of young folk at their gigs and i dont get it, surely this is a good thing getting younger people involved in going to see bands.

discuss.[/quote']

We've had this problem for a while now aswell... It's a bit shit.

From a venue perspective' date=' I'd be very interested to know if a bar makes more money through kids or through adults - especially considering the mark up on soft drinks is absolutely ridiculous.[/quote']

What do you think, honestly? Is there any need to ask that question?

A venue makes jack shit on younger, audience, gigs. (bands that sell posters of themselves however...) The mark up on soft drinks doesn't even come close to what is needed to keep a venue running. Underage gigs/young audiences are pretty much a loser for a venue, unless you have a room full of youngsters high on copious amounts of sugar and caffeine and heading for the infirmary...

Gimme boozy adults any day.

Guest neil ex

Oh oh spaghettio!

As for the age of an audience, does it matter? No or It shouldn't (but it may effect being booked by a venue) Bare in mind though that the young audience may have moved on in several months becuase their friends have, and yes it's a sweeping statement. Kids going to see bands should be embraced but band would benefit from avoiding ego pitfalls... Girls screaming at the front of the stage as their favourite local hairdo, I mean band, takes the stage makes me giggle, pleasantly. Especially if the band love themsleves because of it... Its all good fun though.

* is wakened by Jim stamping feet"

I don't like audiences which are young because when I do Ivor Cutler's "Triangle of hair" song' date=' some of them don't have!!![/quote']

Sorry for wakening you Alan...

By 'triangle of hair' you mean a little man 'Imperial Goatie' on the chin no?

Oh wait!!!!!

I get it you naughty chap...

What do you think' date=' honestly? Is there any need to ask that question?

A venue makes jack shit on younger, audience, gigs. (bands that sell posters of themselves however...) The mark up on soft drinks doesn't even come close to what is needed to keep a venue running. Underage gigs/young audiences are pretty much a loser for a venue, unless you have a room full of youngsters high on copious amounts of sugar and caffeine and heading for the infirmary...

Gimme boozy adults any day.[/quote']

Thanks for the answer :)

I really didn't know the answer, it wasn't obvious because places will sell cans of juice for 1.50, yet pay what, 30p a can for them? What I didn't know was just how many cans a venue would expect to sell, or how many glasses of coke/etc that they'd be likely to sell to an underage crowd.

I guess in the long run though, the younger non-alcoholic drinkers will become drinkers of the future, but whether it's worth the hassle now must be a hell of a question for places.

Mind you, my work takes the piss, 2.50 for a shot of apple sourz...some woman asked me for 6 of them the other day, i felt like I was mugging her by charging 15 for them :|

Different incident... I was referring to the event I organised out there to try and develop a progressive attitude toward quadruped farm animals coming to gigs. Never really took off to be honest. The venue owners were struggling to meet the demands of supplying hay etc as the brewers were forcing their hand when not a 'free house'. The mark up would also have been silly but would Cloud' would have manage to query it...

Different incident... I was referring to the event I organised out there to try and develop a progressive attitude toward quadruped farm animals coming to gigs. Never really took off to be honest. The venue owners were struggling to meet the demands of supplying hay etc as the brewers were forcing their hand when not a 'free house'. The mark up would also have been silly but would Cloud' would have manage to query it...

Forgot to quote Alan here... Looks a tad out of context. I reckon I'll leave multi-tasking to the ladies

the AUBL tunnels gig at the end of the year was a bit of an eye opener for me because there were a huge number of really young people there. it made a real change for us since pretty much all the gigs we play are to the same people :D most of the crowd were just looking at us with a 'what the fuck are these guys doing' kinda expression on, but it certainly made for an interesting gig. those who were there on that occasion hadn't turned up specifically to see us, but still, it's nice to see young people taking an interest in your stuff and i'd rather have a venue full of young people, than one with 3 older people in it!

/x

I was wondering today after reading some posts' date=' what is the problem with having a young fan base? Alot of people seem to try and belittle bands when they have a lot of young folk at their gigs and i dont get it, surely this is a good thing getting younger people involved in going to see bands.

discuss.[/quote']

maple once palyed an Inch gig, what a great gig that was, heaps of kids moshing and dancing, right up for a good night they were, helped us play well too...

mind you, that was AGES ago now...10 years ago?

I think they are great, if it's in the right place

As for the age of an audience' date=' does it matter? No or It shouldn't (but it may effect being booked by a venue) Bare in mind though that the young audience may have moved on in several months becuase their friends have, and yes it's a sweeping statement. Kids going to see bands should be embraced but band would benefit from avoiding ego pitfalls... Girls screaming at the front of the stage as their favourite local hairdo, I mean band, takes the stage makes me giggle, pleasantly. Especially if the band love themsleves because of it... Its all good fun though.[/quote']

right on the mark there I think.

Fair enough if the band has a younger audience, but I understand why anyone serious about music would find it a little funny that said band doesn't click with older and more discerning audiences.