aberdeen-music

(Cont.)- Unused Venue's

rowan

Regarding my post yesterday about the A.E.C.C and the lack of gigs etc..

I know places in Aberdeen such as Kef, The Tunnels & Moshulu etc have gigs/music events on a weekly basis. I enjoy going to these venues but wouldn't it be nice for places like the Forum etc to have more gigs.. Change of Scene..

N.B. This is not a polical post dictating the lack of venue size/musical interest or any other statment which people normally seem to nit pick from post... Just a simple statment, "wouldn't it be nice to have more option and venues to go to!"

It would be nice indeed, I like The Forum (not just because I work there!), but you would need to take at least 200 through the door to make it worthwhile. Even once you've done that, you have to contend with high drinks prices (£2.95 for a vodka and pepsi, anyone?) that discourage people, and also, getting 200 through the door isn't easy at all.

I just don't think there's enough quality going round to fill even The Tunnels night in, night out - so for more venues to be used just dilutes things and causes potential problems for the existing venues.

I know that crowd numbers is a big factor but its such a shame that places like the forum are hardly used for gigs etc. Also how good would it be to have more summer time gigs outdoors at places like Crathes Castle!! That Paul Weller gig there a few years back was a great night..

I dare say that (let's use The Forum as an example) if other venues started putting on stuff, chances are they would be competiting for a slice of the same pie as everyone else, meaning that everyone would end up losing in the long run. I imagine if there was a bidding war for bands to come here, prices would go up and the punter would end up being punished for having a variety of venues.

The market just isn't big enough to sustain more than it has at the minute, if it was, there would be a hell of a lot more going on than there is.

Outdoor gigs are a great idea in principle' date=' but there are far too many "nimbys" around these parts to allow them to become a regular occurence. And the weather can't always be relied on. And of course there's the inevitable traffic problems that result from large outdoor events as well. It would be great if someone found a way to bypass these problems and put on some decent outdoor events, though.

[b']There's always Gavfest...

The only part people need pay attention to in this entire thread.

It's also a problem to get to and from gigs out in the country - I dont drive but even if I did, that would mean I couldn't drink beer *panic!* Keep the gigs near to taxi ranks, thats what I say (unless I'm allowed to pitch a tent of course).

Has anyone else ever been in the Tivoli Theatre on Guild St? That place would be a seriously good venue, although we do probably have enough already. I love that place!

I've only been to one gig in the Forum (Karloff a few hallowe'ens ago) and the sound was shit, horrible acoustics, sound bouncing off every wall.

I'd like to see more gigs in the Beach Ballroom.

I've never seen inside the Tivoli but I admire the outside every time I pass it. Beautiful building. I thought that place was closed down? How did you get inside it Bass Cadet?

there was a weekend with guided tours not so long agho, i was really pissed off that i missed it! they are trying to get it reopened as a small time theatre, so there is a possibility that gigs could be put on there in the future.

It's open on 'Doors Open Day'. One time I was in and 2 architects were discussing why it would be expensive to re-open. Apparently the stairs/fire escape thingys wouldn't pass modern standards, so would need to be completely re-done. Maybe the downstairs only could be used?

I actually saw a show there when I was a nipper (it was a Calum Kennedy show, and had a cult hero of mine, Will Starr, in it).

most architects love the building. you saw some building surveyors. they're the negative ones. :)

Quantity Surveyors...now they're the really negative ones! Althought the main auditorium looks not too bad, back off house is a complete disaster, including flooded basement. It would cost a lot to bring up to modern standards.

It would be great though. According to Arts Council reports(?) Aberdeen is missing a mid size Theatre venue, and there it is. It just needs somebody with money.

Let's raid the Fudge funds.

Talking of underused venue....Cowdray Hall?

Guest Laura@TMB

I love the look of the Tivoli on Guild Street, it's such a pity that it's sitting there slowly rotting away. Never been inside it, but if you click on the thumbnails here

http://www.chem.gla.ac.uk/~gbarr/cinemas/scotland/aberdeen/tivoli/

(taken during "open-day" thingy in 2002 I think), what a fantastic interior this place has.

On the subject of other venues, given I don't get out so much these days, what goes on at the Arts Centre on King St nowadays?

PS - Alan, really! Calum Kennedy = shocking!!

Guest Laura@TMB
I was just little' date=' Laura.....I knew not what I did!:O

Will Starr was ace though!:up:

I wouldn't mind if the Arts Centre was sold to help bring the Tivoli back into life.[/quote']

Never heard of Will Starr, but this coming from someone who sat through Jack and the Beanstalk matinee performance at His Majestys last week :popcorn:, you are hereby excused from any further ridicule :)

Ok, so the Arts Centre is pants... say no more, cheers

I've only been to one gig in the Forum (Karloff a few hallowe'ens ago) and the sound was shit' date=' horrible acoustics, sound bouncing off every wall.[/quote']

The Forum should, in theory, have very good accoustics, the problem is that you'd need a nice big rig to do it justice.

The Tivoli is an amazing building, and the worst things that could happen to it are:

A) Stewart Mline turns it into 300 luxury apartments. Firt of course he tears it down, and flogs all the granite off to Europe, then constucts something from breezeblock and white harling in it's place.

OR

B) That cunt that did the Monkey House turns it into an oh so exclusive club for West End chavs and their clarty bints.

In all honesty I feel it's far too beautiful a building to hold rock concerts in. Only here in Aberdeen would such a place remain closed, neglected, or subjected to bingo.