aberdeen-music

"noise" genre

Stripey

a) i dont know, i just like it.

b) at home, on a stereo, when if eel like it. i did make the mistake of listening to Sutcliffe Jugend - The Victim As Beauty when walking home pissed the other night. scared the living fuck out of me.

I manly listen to Sutcliffe Jugend, Survival Unit, Masonna, Merzbow.

a) Why does it appeal to you?

Well I listened to a lot of metal* and punk* in my teenage years, then heard lots of Jap noise stuff on Peel, then was into post rock, krautrock, minimalism, experimental gubbins et al so I suppose I like noise because of what I've listened to over the years. But I don't get a lot of noise tracks the first or second time around. But its the same with free jazz!! Maybe the effort required to listen to it attracts me? Or the pure escapism?

b) Where/when do you listen to it?

At home generally but attend noise gigs sometimes as well.

* as I don't listen to punk / hardcore or metal anymore I suppose noise is my metal

Guest Page 99

1) I like the sounds and structures created by the bands, have yet to experiance it live yet but hopefully will do so soon. I just enjoy it really, the same as I enjoy any other musical genre. Does take a while to get into though, especialy when I first heard merzbow's harsher stuff.

2) Anywhere, depending the mood I'm in. Wolf Eyes can be great for walking around blasting out of your headphones.

1) I like the sounds and structures created by the bands' date=' have yet to experiance it live yet but hopefully will do so soon. I just enjoy it really, the same as I enjoy any other musical genre. Does take a while to get into though, especialy when I first heard merzbow's harsher stuff.

2) Anywhere, depending the mood I'm in. Wolf Eyes can be great for walking around blasting out of your stereo.[/quote']

You walk round with Wolf Eyes coming out your ghettoblaster eh?

ok having just listened to some merzbow and wolf eyes' date=' would anyone who is into this stuff care to explain 2 things?

a) Why does it appeal to you?

b) Where/when do you listen to it?[/quote']

a) First appealed to me through Whitehouse, who still appeal to me. The music is quite contrasting, rather than being just white noise. The lyrical content on their more recent records drew me in rather than the music, which probably helped. Not for everyone though.

b) Headphones in a dark room is probably best. On the bus to work has also proved effective.

Noise can work great as a soundtrack to films. I remember seeing a film specifically cos it had a John Zorn score.

I saw a film that had a great noise soundtrack the the Belmont in 2004. It was about a guy whose father directs adult films in their flat. A very strange film. The son escapes his drab East German surroundings and fathers filming by listening to some lovely noise. Anyone remember the name of the film?

Dave

Guest Page 99
I saw a film that had a great noise soundtrack the the Belmont in 2004. It was about a guy whose father directs adult films in their flat. A very strange film. The son escapes his drab East German surroundings and fathers filming by listening to some lovely noise. Anyone remember the name of the film?

I'm sure the film is called 'Hole In My Heart'.

This is my attempt at noise....it sounds more like some cheesey cinema matroxey type noise...in either case its 30 seconds so doesn't get too boring ;) Done on a tassman synth...

http://www.keilan303.demon.co.uk/tassman_noise.mp3

heh, me and Tommy spleen always wanted a car so we could drive up and down Union Street blasting out some Bastard Noise :D