aberdeen-music

melt my fucking balls!

Spoonie

victor wooten. he's well worth checking out. one of the best bassists around. he's perfected stuff like the double thump which is hard enough to understand, let alone play! me and mac atom were wanking over him after the tunnels gig on the 30th and i thought i'd see if there were any vids online. i recommend getting 'a show of hands' which i bought on macs advice and it's superb!!

/x

that is incredible, i was actually smiling like a gormless idiot at my screen when he went into the funky second half of amazing grace... playing the harmonic lead lines and the bass line underneath at the same time... holy smokes. Cheers for that spoonie, if i wasn't already in a good mood that would have brightened my day!

that is totally awesome! plus look at that awesome ensemble he has on! textbook.

nevermind that other "fuck your guitar idols" thread, this shit is where its at!

he's up there with Stu Hamm a la:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1158095372160188114&q=stu+hamm

or Billy Sheehan:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7123164409752792753&q=Billy+Sheehan

That is somethin else...

wooten never seems to wear any piece of clothing that might be available to a normal person! hes got some ridiculos shirts, but to be fair, hamm's isn't much better!

sheehan is fucking inhuman. everything from the sound to the scalloped fretboard idea he nicked from malmsteen are just raw. his bass is a fucking weapon too - who'd have thought yamaha make the thing!

/x

that is totally awesome! plus look at that awesome ensemble he has on! textbook.

nevermind that other "fuck your guitar idols" thread' date=' this shit is where its at!

he's up there with Stu Hamm a la:

[url']http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1158095372160188114&q=stu+hamm

or Billy Sheehan:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7123164409752792753&q=Billy+Sheehan

That is somethin else...

that sheehan video is disgustingly good!! how the fuck does anyone do that, it's unreal...

he plays bass on the G3 dvd my dad has... with satch, vai and petrucci. Entertaining stuff :)

out of those three videos (wooten, hamm and sheehan) stu hamm easily gets my vote for being the most entertaining

Billy Sheehan is undoubtably incredibly talented, the problem is, that it is just tuneless wanking, Hamm and Wooten at least played recognisable tunes (note the word tune) I think the same about guitar though, often all the 'shred' playing just ends up being glorified wanking you watch to say 'he can play' and thats about it

and really, the one question i got from al three videos is why? I play bass and love doing it, but its not really a lead instrument, amazing in a band context, and can have some lead elements (think muse or less than jake) but purely for lead, why bother when a guitar can do it much better...

now i am off to play a walking bassline and possibly the theme music from reservoir dogs, proper music ;)

David

out of those three videos (wooten' date=' hamm and sheehan) stu hamm easily gets my vote for being the most entertaining

Billy Sheehan is undoubtably incredibly talented, the problem is, that it is just tuneless wanking, Hamm and Wooten at least played recognisable tunes (note the word tune) I think the same about guitar though, often all the 'shred' playing just ends up being glorified wanking you watch to say 'he can play' and thats about it

and really, the one question i got from al three videos is why? I play bass and love doing it, but its not really a lead instrument, amazing in a band context, and can have some lead elements (think muse or less than jake) but purely for lead, why bother when a guitar can do it much better...[/quote']

i agree to some extent about sheehan and he does just wank, but i think that's the point. it's just him on stage, wanking away to show what he's capable of. in between all this kind of stuff, he's an extremely proficient bassist who fits in nicely with the stuff he plays. Mr Big are fucking ace!

apart from that tho, the bass is an extremely versatile instrument with tonal possibilities that simply aren't available elsewhere. fair enough it can descend into wanking at times, but so can solos on any instrument. wooten plays stuff that quite simply isn't possible on anything other than a bass guitar.

i love it!

/x

that's fucking ace!! the 'coins' bit at the end is superb!

on his post-zep stuff, john paul jones played all kinds of wierd shit like 8 and 12 string basses. wackytastic!

it always makes me smile tho when i see that people like james jamerson, victor wooten, billy cox, stu hamm and billy sheehan predominantly stuck to 4 string basses.

/x