aberdeen-music

No Big Names Please Were Aberdeen

rowan

Although Aberdeen have seen band like Oasis and Babyshambles pass through here, we never seem to pull the same spectrum of acts that places like Glasgow or Manchester do, granted they are bigger citys but we have the crowds and we have the venue's..

The A.E.C.C is one of the biggest wastes of money i can think of, how often does that venue get used??? You wouldn't see the likes of The Barrowlands, S.E.C.C or Carling Academy sitting unused for more than 2 weeks at the most??

Recent tours like Richard Ashcroft, Chemical Brothers, The Strokes etc could you ever imagine any half decent bands playing up here.. Fair enough we get one or two but thats it..

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You post a comment and you dont have get some fannied replies...

Who mentioned anything about the NME/Q/MTV???? "StuartMaxWell"???? Just because i dint mention every little band or next big super group to play the tunnels or Kef doesnt mean i dont know about music.. cock

I was just stressing the point that we dont get enough big name acts, Richard Ashcroft ect were just examples..

Who mentioned anything about the NME/Q/MTV???? "StuartMaxWell"???? Just because i dint mention every little band or next big super group to play the tunnels or Kef doesnt mean i dont know about music.. cock

Although a tad harsh...i do like this reply.

I have been to a few corporate events in there - they do a good lunch, Yum :popcorn:

If you think about it, there are more people in the central belt, so if a band books a gig in Edinburgh or Glasgow, they are bound to sell more tickets. Trying to find a few thousand folk who are interested in the same band when there are only a few hundred thousand people is way tougher. Plus what Dave said!

Although Aberdeen have seen band like Oasis and Babyshambles pass through here' date=' we never seem to pull the same spectrum of acts that places like Glasgow or Manchester do, granted they are bigger citys but we have the crowds and we have the venue's..[/quote']

Do we really have the crowds? We have no music culture to speak of here, there's no journalists/music executives here to play to, it's just not worth it. Moshulu/The Lemon Tree do/did a fine job in pulling bands up here to play exclusive Scottish dates, but to expect more is unrealistic.

As for having the venues : we have two 300 capacity venues, one 250-ish venue, one 550 venue, one 650 venue, one 1500 venue and one 7500 venue. Not really that much, especially given the high costs of even renting the Music Hall.

The A.E.C.C is one of the biggest wastes of money i can think of, how often does that venue get used??? You wouldn't see the likes of The Barrowlands, S.E.C.C or Carling Academy sitting unused for more than 2 weeks at the most??

It's been said before, I'll say it again - the AECC's main function isn't to cater to big name bands. They make an absolute killing from catering to the corporate world - live music just isn't really on the radar as far as it goes. It's also not that big a venue - 7500/8000 at a push? It's also percieved to be out of the way, and if a gig is likely to need to draw from all over Scotland to sell out the SECC, then it doesn't have a chance in being put on at the AECC.

Imagine you're running the AECC, and you have a choice of putting on a gig at a risk, or putting on some safe corporate thing...you're going to put on the safe corporate thing, because satisfied corporate customers will tell other corporate customers and so the money keeps rolling in. The same just doesn't apply with gigs - and it's not as if the AECC has the SECC's capability of hosting several things at once (even more so once the Arena gets built).

Recent tours like Richard Ashcroft, Chemical Brothers, The Strokes etc could you ever imagine any half decent bands playing up here.. Fair enough we get one or two but thats it..

We get more than our fair share of bands - but you have to remeber that there might not be the market for effectively 20,000 people to see the same band over two nights in Scotland. Aberdeen's catchment area isn't that high due to crappy public transport/etc - so it would be a lot harder to sell 7500 tickets in the AECC than to sell 10500 tickets in the SECC.

As for why they don't come up here? It's not rocket science, there obviously just isn't the demand/availability for these bands to do gigs. I'm sure if Aberdeen was a sure fire bet, DF Concerts/etc would be putting on heaps of stuff, but obviously it's viewed by them as not having *that* much potential. There's also commercial factors to consider.

In my opinion, Aberdeen already punches well above its height when it comes to bands, and we should be thankful for what we've got.

Im not disputing the fact that we do get some very good bands up to aberdeen, but when we are presented with the opportunity we take full advantage.

For example when Oasis played Aberdeen (exclusive scottish date) it instantly sold out, granted it is Oasis but if some gigs were distributed more then we would have the opportunitys.

When Franz Ferdinad played, granted they had a sterling support but even with additional scottish dates the gig was a sell out, James Blunt etc I cant remember a gig at the A.E.C.C in recent times that hasn't ether sold our or came close...

Im not disputing the fact that we do get some very good bands up to aberdeen' date=' but when we are presented with the opportunity we take full advantage.

For example when Oasis played Aberdeen (exclusive scottish date) it instantly sold out, granted it is Oasis but if some gigs were distributed more then we would have the opportunitys.

When Franz Ferdinad played, granted they had a sterling support but even with additional scottish dates the gig was a sell out, James Blunt etc I cant remember a gig at the A.E.C.C in recent times that hasn't ether sold our or came close...[/quote']

That is some poor examples though as these are band's that have had a few no1s and sold millions of albums in Britain.

If (say for example) The Strokes were to play here they wouldn't attract as much and would be hard to sell out.

That is some poor examples though as these are band's that have had a few no1s and sold millions of albums in Britain.

If (say for example) The Strokes were to play here they wouldn't attract as much and would be hard to sell out.

I'd go and see the Strokes. Though I of course only represent one person and not the 3000 or so it would take to fill the AECC.

Im not disputing the fact that we do get some very good bands up to aberdeen' date=' but when we are presented with the opportunity we take full advantage.

For example when Oasis played Aberdeen (exclusive scottish date) it instantly sold out, granted it is Oasis but if some gigs were distributed more then we would have the opportunitys.[/quote']

Thing is, one gig that sells 10,000 in the SECC at (say) 25 a pop is going to be more profitable than two gigs that sell 6000 each in Aberdeen and Glasgow - the band will be expecting two nights pay, yet you've only sold 2000 more tickets. It makes waaaay more sense (except in guaranteed sell outs) to only run the SECC in such a situation. It might not be great, but there's no way the AECC is going to outbid the SECC for gigs,

When Franz Ferdinad played, granted they had a sterling support but even with additional scottish dates the gig was a sell out, James Blunt etc I cant remember a gig at the A.E.C.C in recent times that hasn't ether sold our or came close...

Thing is, all these bands are/were huge that you're mentioning and are riding the crest of a wave. Franz could do it because everyone's heard of them, same with James Blunt, same with Oasis - but has everyone heard of The Strokes?

One thing to consider : Even a band the size of the Manics around the EMG/TIMT era didn't do Aberdeen and Glasgow - so doesn't that explain how tough it must be to actually sell two nights up here?

When Franz Ferdinad played, granted they had a sterling support but even with additional scottish dates the gig was a sell out, James Blunt etc I cant remember a gig at the A.E.C.C in recent times that hasn't ether sold our or came close...[/quote']

I bet you Ian Brown doesn't sell out.

I was just stressing the point that we dont get enough big name acts' date=' Richard Ashcroft ect were just examples..[/quote']

if you read what i said again, you would have noticed that i was giving you the benefit of the doubt

go fuck yourself

They have a song out just now that's on radio 1 about every 20 minutes.

yeah' date=' but who listens to radio 1? :p

Look at what they're playing in the UK -

[url']http://www.albumvote.co.uk/news/news.php?id=926

Hardly any of those venues are huge, apart from the NIC - so if they can't sell an UK Arena tour out, what hope would they have of selling the AECC out?

(fuck me, i knew they had an album out, but never knew it was #1...far cry from the days of paying attention to the charts every sunday :()

Guest DustyDeviada

Unfortunately since The Capitol closed we don't really have a mid-sized venue that would cater for many of the acts mentioned. The AECC is really too big for the likes of The Strokes or Kasabian, but The Lemon Tree or The Music Hall are too small to make it worth their while.

We used to get loads of great "medium" sized acts at The Capitol though, I saw some great gigs there, Mark Knopfler in 1996 for example.

Still, instead of all those great bands we've got Jumpin' Jaks to entertain us. :rolleyes: