aberdeen-music

Repairing my mp3 player

Floor Tom

This sounds like you know what the fault is. I'm assuming that you've snapped the main circuit board (hence you reckon it can be re-soldered.)

I can fix this sort of thing for you but I'm offshore at the moment. Personally if you're looking for a new circuit board, which sending it to the manufacturer with will almost certainly recommend if it is snapped, then this really is your best bet. Getting a local electronics firm to do it for you will usually cost more than the item is worth and all they are going to do is go through the manufacturer anyway. (That's what I do at work!)

This sounds like you know what the fault is. I'm assuming that you've snapped the main circuit board (hence you reckon it can be re-soldered.)

I can fix this sort of thing for you but I'm offshore at the moment. Personally if you're looking for a new circuit board' date=' which sending it to the manufacturer with will almost certainly recommend if it is snapped, then this really is your best bet. Getting a local electronics firm to do it for you will usually cost more than the item is worth and all they are going to do is go through the manufacturer anyway. (That's what I do at work!)[/quote']

What has happened is that the USB port on the player is very poorly joined to the circuit board, It recieved a small bump while the USB lead was in there and that nocked it off the circuit board, so it needs to be soldered back on there or the circuit board needs replaced. I have taken it appart so I know this is what is wrong with it, I'm not just guesssing (Though I put it back together again so I dont forget how it alll goes together).

If you could have a look at it some time when you are back on shore that would be fantastic,

pm me.

If you did the damage (ie dropped in on the floor) then you're can't send it back to the manufacturers. Thats shit, but its life.

If you ordered it off the net, and especially amazon. com, they are very good and supplying new models. I don't know the laws and stuff...

But surely, why not have a bash yourself with the soldering iron?

If you did the damage (ie dropped in on the floor) then you're can't send it back to the manufacturers. Thats shit' date=' but its life.

If you ordered it off the net, and especially amazon. com, they are very good and supplying new models. I don't know the laws and stuff...

But surely, why not have a bash yourself with the soldering iron?[/quote']

I never expected it te be fixed for free, I emailed creative to see how much it would be to repair. I still havn't got a reply though.

I wont have a go myself because I have very little soldering experience and it is really small so the chances of me messing it up are very high.

EDIT

They have just got back to me, its gonna cost £60 to repair it. I think I'll have a try at getting it fixed in Aberdeen first.