aberdeen-music

Darts

lollerskates

Best of three is a much better format Our end of season tournaments are like that. We start at 8 and we were done by 9:30 on Monday, because it was 12 legs of DIDO and we weren't exactly racing through!

We're lucky that our team is pretty consistent week to week, but a couple of key guys were missing from the team this week so not sure if they're returning for Winter. It'll weaken our team but mean I get more throws so it suits me.

• 1 month later...

Our singles stats go up on the League Republic site until the league split: I was on W4 L1, then lost four in a row, three of them on t' bastard doubles! Evened it up last week with a slighty jammy win over yer uncle, and it's Croon Lassies O'Clock on Thursday.

The new Ando shirt gets worse with every look!

• 3 weeks later...

Well that's the Leith Darts League winter break upon us, with just the singles competition before Christmas. My record for the first half is 2-1 in singles and 5-1 in pairs, so 78% overall and I'm reasonably pleased with that. Still a long way to go to be regularly beating the guys in our team in warmup matches (I've beaten most of them on one occasion or another, but more often than not they get the best of me) but my darts are coming along well as I approach my 1 year anniversary!

And right now we're about to enter the key part of the darting year - World Championship season! It's been a hell of a year in the PDC with a real mix of major winners and runners up, so it could go anywhere, but with a new (ridiculously heavy) trophy, named after his friend, the late Sid Waddell, plus the fact that he's not won either of the last two, there'll be added emphasis for Phiy Taylor. Next Friday it all starts, concluding on New Years Day. Can't wait!

Pretty sure you'll hand me my arse at the Western this year! Just got thorugh another bout of the dart-itis, now using shorter darts (Andy Fordham 23g), seems to be working. Hit a fecking 180-no score with them on Sunday...

Had a squirt through the odds on Bet Victor, there's a truckload of each-way value in the BDO odds. Not keen on the PDC list, though they are refunding all win bets if Taylor takes care of business. Hrmm...

We'll see - was playing with friends last night and I was fucking woeful! Then this morning I opened a package containing a set of Whitlock 26g bad boys, stuck on some old sliksticks and hit 180 #17! Need a few more before the end of the year but I'll be getting no shortage of practice! Plan for Christmas is to come home on the 23rd and just spend the next two weeks getting burst and throwing spears.

I stuck a fiver on Barney at 12/1 and £2 on Painter at 66/1 as an outsider. Will see how it all pans out!

• 2 weeks later...

Derts so far have been phenomenal! Barney dispatched Michael Smith in 18 mins last night! All that preparation and you're out within 20 mins, brutal! Taylor coasted to his win, as did Snackpot, Anderson dropped a set, but was dropping bombs all over the board and broke the little Finnish dude with a 111 checkout to take the match. Dennis Ovens and Brendan Dolan bored their opponents to death and things are ticking along nicely!

Leith Darts League Christmas Singles tonight too. Need to translate some of my practice form to the match board. Last league singles I won my first round and then lost 2-1 in the second which was my best performance thus far, so hoping to get a couple of wins this time,

Got to the quarter finals last nitht (2st round bye, 2-0 in the 2nd, 2-0 in the third) and then lost 2-0 to a pretty handy player, so fairly pleased with that performance. Then went home to watch the end of the WC and watch the Cavin/Bowles match which was an absolute blinder! Beaton, Osbourne and Newton up tonight and Mervyn King v Dean Winstanley is maybe the best of the first rounders.

Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerts! Last night's Winstanley/King match was an absolute beezer!! King 2-0 in the final set, with tops for the match. Misses it, Winstanley breaks, holds, breaks to go to 3-2, holds for 4-2, King holds for 4-3 and Winstanley holds to make it 5-3! Shame King's out in the first round, especially after a game like that, but great entertainment!

I also witnessed the worst Honey Monster costume ever!

Cracking game almost ruined by some trumpet changing channel in the boozer when it got to 4-3. He got swiftly telt!

One more league match on Thursday up at the Croon: we gave the league leaders a right good go last week, went down 3-6 but had chances to win it! Not sure we're allowed two good games in a row however.....

• 2 weeks later...

Dude throws a beast of an arrow! 16 world titles in anything is pretty remarkable!

Been a great festive period - PDC and now the Lakeside, although as a someone who watches PDC events year-round, the Lakeside looks unbelievably amateur! The camera work is terrible, the stage set hasn't changed in years and the quality of the darts is grim at times. Nevertheless, it's still the original and so the event itself has a kind of magic about it

It's amazing - the other big thing I suppose is that the PCD has a lot more TV tournaments, so the guys you see in the latter stages tend to be guys who have been there before and so their arse doesn't collapse in a flurry of 26s when the camera's on them! Some of the matches I watched this weekend had several legs going to 21+ darts. We had a tournament called the AB3 Masters back home on the 29th and I hit two 18 dart legs, with another player hitting a 16. That's a group of absolute steamers, with me having played for a year at that point! I expect most legs in major tournaments to be <16 darts, but the PDC spoils us I think.

PDC has all the dosh and the glitz, BDO has the heritage and the grassroots system. It's all darts at the end of the day though.

(That said, I would sooner be a spectator at a BDO event, the PDC crowds are absolutley horrific!)

LDDL hostilities resume on Thursday too, and it's the Skite derby to get the new year started, spicy!

We had a tournament called the AB3 Masters back home on the 29th and I hit two 18 dart legs, with another player hitting a 16. That's a group of absolute steamers, with me having played for a year at that point!

Would have been plenty of 60-dart double 1 epics in there too I'd imagine, ho ho!

the quality is just not there with the BDO compared with the PDC that is evident but I always enjoy the lakeside nonetheless. Really enjoyed seeing wolfie beaten by that young lad whose name sounds like a famous dead guitarist! And it looks good on my new 42" TV I bought today!

Would have been plenty of 60-dart double 1 epics in there too I'd imagine, ho ho!

In truth, there were hardly any! We were expecting one pool in particular to have tonnes of these but I'd be amazed if more than a handful of legs all day went beyond 35 darts! Everyone was surprised with how quickly the whole thing was done and that was a round robin of four groups of four players each, then quarters, semis, a final and a 3rd place playoff. All games were best of 5 legs, 501 straight start, except the final which was best of 7 (and wrapped up 4-0!)

I'm always glad when there's spears on the telly tho, irrespective of the code, it's just that every year the contrast between the PDC and BDO becomes starker. When Setanta used to show Blue Square Premier football, I used to love it, because it was rough and ready and in football, there's more than one way to skin a cat (as Ross County showed last season, being promoted with a pretty traditional approach). With darts, it's score big and finish fast, and so irrespective of whether it's Jerry Hendricks, MvG or me at the Western, the quality is clearly comparable.

Back to league business last night and I was selected to play 4th in singles. Won my leg against a woman who I would conservatively guess was a million years old, with one of the worsy performances in the history of darts. Got doubled in first visit, scored moderately down to 199, then hit 69, 100 to leave 30 and then took more darts from 30 down than I took to get from 501 to 30! Nevertheless, the history books will record a win and we took the tie 11-1 to stay top of the league.

• 2 months later...

So we won the Leithe Winter Darts League, going undefeated throughout, with two draws. Our first league title! Gonna sit out the summer but get back into it next winter, cos giving up every monday to only get a throw every second week is a bit much. Will sharpen my practice up and see where I get to!

Some great spears so far in the Premier League too!

• 1 year later...

Anyone watch the PDC final last night? Epic stuff from Gary Anderson to lift his first title. At one point he was sitting on a 120, put the third dart right between them and the whole 180 fell out of the board! And that was on his own throw; he proceeded to lose the leg, Taylor held to go 2-0 up in the set and Anderson came back to win it 3-2! An awesome performance!