aberdeen-music

Darts

lollerskates

was a belter last night - RvB was superb and even a not-too-sloppy Anderson couldn't get near him. Taylor was on devastating form. It was 4-1 with a leg to go before the break, Wade missed his double and Taylor took him apart. Right now he's throwing some of the best darts he ever has. Two weekends back he hit two 9-darters in the Players Championship. If he was able to keep this form all year, he'd clean up

Odd one last night - a minutes applause for Jocky Wilson before the games which went on for about 5 mins and then Adi Lewis played twice because Gary Anderson was missing after his dad died at the weekend. He got pumped by Andy Hamilton, then James Wade gave a masterclass to whitewash Whitlock 8-0, then The Power tanked Painter, including being on course for 2 9-darters, missing one on the 7th and one on the 8th, and then Lewis FINALLY showed some form coming back and pumping RvB.

Afterwards Taylor came out and spoke about Jocky and was a bit emotional. Been a shitty week for Scottish darts.

• 2 weeks later...

Played in my first competitive match last night at the Taxi Club in Edinburgh. The Vine Bar who I'll be playing for in the summer had 7 guys turn up and it was a 'teams of 4' tournament so they asked if I could play despite being unregistered and the organisers agreed. The 4 strongest players went in our A-team and left the other 4 (me, a good guy called Keith who throws his darts like he wants rid of them, another OK player and a guy who was quite good in his youth but never plays or practices and only goes along in case they're short of bodies!) to form the Vine B team.

The format is one 4-man game, two pairs games and then 4 singles. All games are one leg of 501, Double In, Double Out. First team to win 4 progresses to the next round. I was put as the third man and when we got to me in the 4s, we were yet to get off the mark, so I naile D16 with my first dart and we were away. The quality was pretty low and in 4s you hardly get any throws, but I threw twice and got our best two scores, so despite losing, I was happy enough. Next up was pairs and our lead pair won their game to level it at 1-1. I threw first in the third game, again hitting D16 with my first dart and landing a T20 and a 20 after it, to give us a strong start. My next throw was a 98 and those after were in the 40-60 mark, but my partner wasn't firing at all and his scores were typically in the 20s so despite knowing I had a throw for a double for the game, I never got to take it. That was us 2-1 down and we then lost our first 2 singles, so as the third man up, the game was over before it got to my turn. Disappointed not to get a shot at singles and to lose, but reasonably pleased with my performance. Especially pleased since I wasn't expecting to get to play either. I just went down to watch, have some banter and do some marking, so getting a competitive throw was good.

Onwards and upwards! Am probably going to enter an Open on Saturday (before I spend the evening watching Bobby George and Eric Bristow in an exhibition) so that's more good quality competitive darts.

Good stuff Spoons! The more you play the better, it's all about picking up experience: even though I've had a largely stinking season, I've still learned plenty after doing the full calendar. And there is one trophy wating for me at the Croon next Saturday, so not all bad!

Collected nicely on a Whitlock/Painter double last night too. Boom!

Good money making. Sadly my midweek Pirates training has started so that's me missing PLD on a Thursday but me and Robbs are going down to the Newcastle one for my birthday so that should be spicy!

Edinburgh Spring Open tomorrow and then the exhibition in the evening. Day of darts!

That's great darts! My best is still only a 19-darter and that was a one off!

Saturday was awesome. At the tournament, I went out in the first round 3-1, but played reasonably well, then I won 3-0 in the first round of the consolation cup, before losing 3-1 in the second round. Again, even in defeat I was happy with how I played, hitting two 140s in the leg that I won. I had my chances in just about every leg I played (usually just 1/2 darts, but chances nonetheless), I was never miles off the pace, just wasn't quite clinical enough. I know that with more practice, I'll have the game to bear either of the guys who I lost to.

At night was the George/Bristow exhibition and before it started, I spent the best part of an hour chatting with Bristow and having a throw with him as he was warming up. They both provided great entertainment and all in all, it was an excellent night!

Last night I was playing in the last of the competitions that happens in between our winter and summer leagues, which was a best-of-three singles match. I got a bye through the first round and then was crushed 2-0 by a young guy I've seen play a few times. He's a very erratic player, but when he's on his game he's superb. Last night he was red hot. The first leg I wasn't far off matching him for scoring, but he pulled away and took his finish. Second leg I wasn't even at the races. He hit several tonnes and at one point I followed a 10 with an 11 and before I knew, it was all over! He went on to knock out the last of our team in the semi and was winning the final 1-0 when we left. He's a crazy wee hoor - a few weeks back he got knocked out of a tournament, pulled his darts out of the board, yanked the flights off and threw them away, then snapped the stems of all three darts in one fell swoop! And flung them on a table. His wee brother plays too (they play at a pub in Muirhouse with no windows) and he's not quite as mental but has a similar temper. the two of them throw their darts like they're trying to get them out the back of the board.

One of our players had a heart attack after the tournament last monday night, but was there playing last night! That's dedication to the spears!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had a wicked weekend of darts, just passed. On Friday, I went up to Arbroath on the train in the morning and caught up with a mate to have lunch with Russ Bray (the voice of darts) and Barney before their exhibition in the evening. It was awesome and we spent a couple of hours chatting with them both. I was amazed at how friendly and engaging they both were. Both absolute gentlemen, chatting away and telling stories and really keen to hear what we had to say.

After that we left them to prepare for the night and went to the pub and played some sperds. The rest of the boys joined us there and we had a few jars and some nonsense before we went to the Barney exhibition. My uncle got drawn to play him and was delighted. He lost, but there's a reason why Barney's won five world titles and Uncle Neil has won none.

Saturday we got up, horrendously hungover, grabbed some lunch and threw some more spears before heading home.

Monday was league night in Leith. That's us three weeks into the summer elague, winning 12-0, 12-0 and 9-3 so far. I'm only playing in the three-man games at the moment because the standard of our team is pretty high, so I need to keep hitting the practice board if I want to get my shot at doubles and eventually singles. Form has been a bit patchy of late, but I've got a night set aside tonight to get some graft in so that should help.

• 2 weeks later...
You gonna enter? I'm all or entering opens nowadays, but not had a chance recently and they usually fall on Sundays which is fuck all use for me.

Yeah. Saturday 30th June for this one. Not fancying my chances because I've not been able to practise much lately, and I'll also be off the drink because I'm running the Stoney Half Marathon the day after.....

Sounds good

I had a fairly epic weekend of darts back home in the AB3. First of all, on a Friday night darts marathon in the Western, I hit my second 180:

7336792440_702abb97fd.jpg

After that, I beat Matty Innes in a spicy best of 15 match at the Golfie in Motown. Been throwing some pretty good spears and my game is coming on all the time. Last night I didn't get to play in our league fixture (although I wasn't expecting to, since we're in the middle of a three game stretch against the three biggest contenders) but I did beat two of the guys in our team, which was a nice development for me.

Been tearing it up the last couple of nights. Didn't get to play for the league team on Monday as it was a pretty tight fixture against a big opponent so came home frustrated for a throw and then went on to hit 180 #3!

7178060243_904e9abedb.jpg

That was part of a 13 dart leg too (100, 100, 180, 85, d18), which is 6 better than my previous PB and about19 better than what I was averaging over 12 legs last week!

Even better tho, tonight I put in a couple of hours graft and hit 180s #4

7180932385_c054c4e434.jpg

and #5!!

7366160092_a577c26e17.jpg

Starting to find a nice smooth rhythm. The big challenge now is turning success and development on the practice board to something tangible in a competitive game and that's extremely difficult when you're not getting a game!

Still got targets to hit - 10 180s for the year and an average of 25 darts per leg over 501 straight start. Plenty of work to be done!

This is my first league season and the're a good fun bunch of guys, as well as a really strong group of players, so there's a benefit of me staying around to get some matches against them before and after games and on free weeks, but when the league season comes to an end and it's time for the winter season, I'll have to think carefully about what I want from it.

The challenge is that I'm getting better every day on the practice board, but our season is 6 weeks old and I've thrown a grand total of 27 competitive darts! (That being said, I just calculated that my three dart average in league competition is 46.33, which I'm actually quite surprisd about!) When you get called up for a three man game, having sat and watched or marked the board for 90 mins, it's VERY difficult to make an impact. And then when you're not making much of an impact, you don't get considered for the pairs and certainly not the singles matches! There are a couple of other pubs in our league which are nearer to my house (bear in mind the pub I play for is only a ten minute walk) and who have smaller squads and less quality players, so it may well be that at the end of the season, I transfer to one of them, in order to get more playing time and help me translate the improvements in practice into improvements in games.

Boom goes the dynamite! Some top shooting there.

I have a similar dilemna this coming season about whether to stick or twist with my current team. I'll save any decision until after our end of season night out next week, natch!

Waiting impatiently for the GCO draw now, there's an alphabetical entry list which gives an idea of the field. Anastasia is coming up. :love:

I would have come up to take part in the GCO, but I'm on holiday in Munich from the Monday to the Friday so I'll miss the start.

Had a less emphatic couple of nights of practice, but I'm slowly pushing my average no. of darts per leg down and that's the main thing. Smashing in 180s is a wicked feeling, but the key thing is turning the 3s, 11s, 13s, 15s, 26s etc into 45s, 55s, 60s, 100s etc. Being more consistent from leg to leg so that I can reach my goal of a 25 dart average by the end of the year.

Tonight I was packing my darts to go on holiday so decided to have a throw with a spare set - Target Silica Apollo 26g. Lovely darts, but not had use in a wee while. Well they're flying like beauties and I smashed in my 6th and 7th 180s with them!

7415579504_374a1d86f5_c.jpg

7415579828_25e506caaf_c.jpg

That's me only 3 away from my target for the year, so delighted :) Have been playing for 6 months and two days and hit 7 180s.