aberdeen-music

Most Underated Band Of All Time??

lynettejc

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Predictably, THE WILDHEARTS. How they weren't they hugest band in the world I'll never know (actually, I do know - they fucked evrything up with drugs and general contrariness). Ginger is finest songwriter this country ever produced, his body should be donated to the national trust upon his death, and children encouraged to view it while 'Shut Your Fucking Mouth And Use Your Fucking Brain' is played in the background.

Cheap Trick is a good one too though.

why thank you. i say Cheap Trick, because they are inherently awesome. They inspired so many bands, wrote a full on anthem with 'I Want You To Want Me' which is a song that almost everybody knows, and released album upon album of great material, with catchy tunes and heartfelt lyrics. For being essentially a glam rock band, they crossed over so many styles. And yet no one knows who they are. At least not Mr Joe Public. I'm sick of people referring to 'I Want You To Want Me' by Letters To Cleo.

Mandocello is one of the prettiest songs I've ever heard.

The Devin Townsend Band. They are not bigger because Townsend doesnt give a shit about writing music to please the masses and he also couldnt care less about image. A band who could be bigger if they wanted to be IMHO but seem content with the size they are at. Would be cool to see them getting similar recognition as Opeth but SYL is what more people seem to be interested in.

Actually, I think Dev and the Wildhearts have both had probs that have made them less of a success than they should be.

Wildhearts- Drugs, drink

Dev- Bipolar

Guest Page 99
The Devin Townsend Band. They are not bigger because Townsend doesnt give a shit about writing music to please the masses and he also couldnt care less about image. A band who could be bigger if they wanted to be IMHO but seem content with the size they are at. Would be cool to see them getting similar recognition as Opeth but SYL is what more people seem to be interested in.

Totaly disagree with that, anything Townsend touches seems to be lapped up by press and his fans. I'm personaly not a fan of anything he's done, but I know that heaps of people are into him and everything he does...

As for underated bands for me... too many to name.

Stereo Total

Easily the most fantastic band of the last 10 years and yet you can hardly buy any of their stuff in the uk. Shocking.

That's a good one, they're barely even on the radar in the UK, despite the use of "I Love You Ono" in that advert.

I think I'd go with The Concretes aswell, their self-titled album was a masterpiece. 'You Can't Hurry Love' is the perfect pop song and 'Warm Night' sounds like someone has re-wired the 'It's a Small World' ride at Disney. If the Arcade Fire cheered up a bit and went to live in a Swedish log-cabin they could have been as good as The Concretes.

Also Rilo Kiley, they got a good bit of radio play when they released More Adventurous and they supported Coldplay (allegedly one of the biggest bands in the world) on their US tour, but they're still playing tiny venues over here and are generally unknown.

Totaly disagree with that' date=' anything Townsend touches seems to be lapped up by press and his fans. I'm personaly not a fan of anything he's done, but I know that heaps of people are into him and everything he does...

As for underated bands for me... too many to name.[/quote']

I can see what you mean man but SYL is doing really well at the moment and the Devin Townsend Band is small in comparison.

The Swell Maps. The best post punk/experimental band this world has ever seen. Check out their debut album A Trip To Marineville if you can find it - it's genius.

Midget Submarines!!!

That album defines genius really. Nothing of its kind has ever bettered it.

I got an xmas card from the guy who produced it! *feels smug*

The Swell Maps. The best post punk/experimental band this world has ever seen. Check out their debut album A Trip To Marineville if you can find it - it's genius.

They sound pretty interesting but I coulnd't find them on purevolume or myspace. But I did find this on google: Swell Maps - Classic UK Punk Rock Band

"Swell Maps began in 1972. They were formed by brothers Epic Soundtracks and ...

Swell Maps were (are) seen as being a cross between Can and T.Rex by the ...

Stereo Total

Easily the most fantastic band of the last 10 years and yet you can hardly buy any of their stuff in the uk. Shocking.

Bearing in mind that Nick Currie signed them to Analogue Barogue I'd have to say Momus were one of the most under rated acts of their/his time.

Tender Pervert was streets ahead of it's peers (and that was saying something for 1988/9!).

Agreed on both Momus and Swell Maps (saw Momus in summer doing a laptop/storytelling thing with a japanese performance artist...just me and them in the room for at least half an hour, which was weird).

Also....Television Personalities

Dando Shaft

The Creation

The Left Banke

Famous Jug Band

Clive's Own Band

Pearls Before Swine

"Swell Maps began in 1972. They were formed by brothers Epic Soundtracks and ...

Swell Maps were (are) seen as being a cross between Can and T.Rex by the ...

That's them all right! One of my all-time favourite bands. Both albums and a cool 7" singles box have been re-released on Munster Records - hard to track down but well worth the bother. I'd offer you some MP3s but all my stuff's on vinyl (elistist prick that I am!).

Good shout on the TVPs Alan. They were supposed to be playing in town I hear but somewhere down tyhe line it fell through :( Absolutely seminal though.