aberdeen-music

Your Favourite Short Stories?

Yep thats the one. The end was indeed slightly twisted' date=' but when i read it, i was imagining for days what it was that the other bloke had found in that tomb.[/quote']

Yeh, the ending seemed a little un-subtle for lovecraft, but due to the rest of it being pretty gripping it had me thinking for awhile afterward too. One of the great old ones perhaps? I've seen paintings of folks imaginings of what some lovecraftian beasties look like, but they're always more nasty and lucid in yer own thoughts after you read something by him late on a still moonlit night:)

any Lovecraft... i recall one with a submarine marooned at the bottom of the ocean.

I don't recall reading one like that as yet. I picked up the three lovecraft omnibus books for a fiver and i'm hoping it's in there if you can recall the title? Cheers :)

Me either, and I'm pretty sure I've read the majority of his stuff. It sounds great though.

any Lovecraft... i recall one with a submarine marooned at the bottom of the ocean. or the freaky one about witches' date=' advanced maths, fanged creatures and other dimensions...

[/quote']

Mountains of Madness? Dream Quest of Unknown Kaddath (think that's what's it's called)?

Goddamn all these threads about books that I now subsequently want to read....

any Lovecraft... i recall one with a submarine marooned at the bottom of the ocean.

I don't recall reading one like that as yet. I picked up the three lovecraft omnibus books for a fiver and i'm hoping it's in there if you can recall the title? Cheers :)

The one with the submarine is 'The Temple' I believe. It's online here http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/thetemple.htm

Wasn't there a movie of that coming out too? Can't remember what it was called or if it ever appeared.

I think i heard that at some point too. But i have no idea. This got me thinking of Lovecraft based films as i've not heard of very many Ray Bradbury stories being made into films apart from "Something Wicked This Way Comes".The best Lovecraft based film i've seen is "Dagon" which is based on that story and "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" Its flippin' excellent (at least i thought so) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0264508/).

I also heard that there is an anime version of "At The Mountains Of Madness" in the pipeline but so far it aint materialised. (http://boards.sonypictures.com/hellboy/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1258) Hopefully going by the first post in that thread via the link it's going to appear soon.

There are too many Lovecraft stories that would be great as films. "The Call Of Cthulhu" is also going to be out soon i think. Though i'm unsure just how much it will have to do with the story. "The Case Of Charles Dexter Ward" was made into a film in the early sixties but under an Edgar Allen Poe title.(http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057128/) I haven't seen it though.

• 2 weeks later...

more shorts

Just came across this thread and wanted to add a few of my fave shorties:

Annie Proulx, Bad Dirt: Wyoming Stories 2, 2004, Scribner (though Brokeback Mt came from Close Range, Wyoming Stories 1999, Scribner) - some amazing (and some silly) images

Peter Carey, The Fat Man in History 1974 - includes some weirdly sci-fiish if you like that - his first and most out there writing

Guy de Maupassant, wrote some of the most deservedly classic short stories

Anton Chekhov's are worth reading too.

As mentioned above Irvine Welsh was good too.