aberdeen-music

modem help needed

framheim

once i finally get this router and modem set up i'm going to be a network king!

if i've previously used a usb modem to connect to the internet but now have an ethernet modem how do i make my computer use that instead of looking for the usb modem? the software i got with my broadband is designed for a USB modem and i can't change it's settings. :(

Guest MerryChristmas
once i finally get this router and modem set up i'm going to be a network king!

if i've previously used a usb modem to connect to the internet but now have an ethernet modem how do i make my computer use that instead of looking for the usb modem? the software i got with my broadband is designed for a USB modem and i can't change it's settings. :(

uninstall the broadband modem

set the router connection vci to 38

tell your computer to use local area connection, let it auto assign ip addresses

need further help? then call 01224 625697, £10 to get it all working

Before uninstalling the USB modem, make sure you have all the relevant account info for your broadband, you'll need that for setting up the ethernet modem.

(Voice of experience, thankfully it only took me 10 minutes of frantic searching to find the bit of paper I'd written it all down on)

Do you ever get anyone to fall for that by the way? Just wondering.

what's wrong with taking money for your services? maybe you don't get asked to do stuff much, but i spend half my spare time fixing other peoples' fucked computers. if i spend 3 hours reversing a hooped windows xp install or recovering data from a crashed hard drive, i'll happily take some cash for my time. after all, if people go to pc world or any other computer shop, it'll cost a hell of a lot more and take much longer.

There's nothing wrong with it. Just don't think he goes about it in a very nice way and he charges too much. I dunno, it just seemed a strange way to raise business by replying to every thread involving IT problems with a phone number and an hourly rate. It's like lawyers who turn up at accident sites and follow the ambulance to the hospital so they can press a buisness card into the victim's hand. And he's already done it in another thread Dave posted and it got him nowhere (as I undercut him by doing it for free).

I get asked to help friends and family out all the time, as I'm sure everyone with any competence does. It's a favour I'm happy to give if I can spare the time. I just put it on trust that if I need their help with something for a few hours I'll get it in return.

Guest MerryChristmas
There's nothing wrong with it. Just don't think he goes about it in a very nice way and he charges too much. I dunno' date=' it just seemed a strange way to raise business by replying to every thread involving IT problems with a phone number and an hourly rate. It's like lawyers who turn up at accident sites and follow the ambulance to the hospital so they can press a buisness card into the victim's hand. And he's already done it in another thread Dave posted and it got him nowhere (as I undercut him by doing it for free).

I get asked to help friends and family out all the time, as I'm sure everyone with any competence does. It's a favour I'm happy to give if I can spare the time. I just put it on trust that if I need their help with something for a few hours I'll get it in return.[/quote']

Not going about it in a very nice way? How so?

£10 per hour is reasonable when most jobs take less than 1 hour and it includes travel expenses(I dont drive) maybe ill do 1 or 2 jobs a day and have to pay the IRS since im self employed

Some of us do this for a living not just out of the goodness of our hearts, in the case of family they get charged £15 per hour

you wouldn't ask your friend 'the plumber' to come and fix your bathroom for free - so why should you expect it from an IT professional?.....

most people will probably give youa bottle of plonk - i'd prefer the money too! :):):).

for good mates i'd do it for free and have done - but for random people i see no problem in charging for a service.....

to be honest it's neither here nor there as i have no money to pay for such services.

any help is gratefully received though and i believe what goes around comes around and if i can help folks i tend to do what i can.

i have no idea what router connection vci means or where to find it.

i've put in my username and password into the router internet connection bit but it still isn't connecting to the internet. i've removed the usb modem's programs and all that but to no avail.

damn this computer nonsense, damn it to hell.

i would you know :)

haha - me too.

i would go into internet explorer - tools ->options

select the connections tab and remove anything that's in there (probably ur modem connection)

then try internet explorer again...

if that doens't do it:

start -> run -> CMD

(little black window opens)

type in ipconfig and post up what it says...

right this is what happens on my laptop which is currently using the usb modem to connect so i can ask you lot questions:

Ethernet adapter wireless network connection:

connection specific dns suffix: Belkin

IP Address: 192.168.2.2

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1

PPP adapter Homecall Broadband:

Connection specific dns suffix: comes up blank

IP Address: 88.104.26.237

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.255

Default Gateway: 88.104.26.237

when i run ipconfig on the desktop it comes up exactly the same but without the ppp stuff. the desktop is the one i'm trying to connect through the router at the moment.

right this is what happens on my laptop which is currently using the usb modem to connect so i can ask you lot questions:

Ethernet adapter wireless network connection:

connection specific dns suffix: Belkin

IP Address: 192.168.2.2

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1

PPP adapter Homecall Broadband:

Connection specific dns suffix: comes up blank

IP Address: 88.104.26.237

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.255

Default Gateway: 88.104.26.237

when i run ipconfig on the desktop it comes up exactly the same but without the ppp stuff. the desktop is the one i'm trying to connect through the router at the moment.

If they're both 192.168.2.2, that's one problem. Either change one to 192.168.2.3, for example, or use DHCP.

well the wireless connection is enabled. the problem is that the router should connect to the internet then everything connected to that should be able to just log on as they please right?

i'm so fed up with all this wireless network stuff.

I felt the same the first time.

Your IP addresses seem to say that the router is being seen by the computers, and if you can access the set-up on the router to give it your broadband account info, then it must be a setting in the router you've got wrong.

Maybe try resetting the router, as they generally don't take much tweaking and you may have tweaked where you shouldn't.

I felt the same the first time.

Your IP addresses seem to say that the router is being seen by the computers' date=' and if you can access the set-up on the router to give it your broadband account info, then it must be a setting in the router you've got wrong.

Maybe try resetting the router, as they generally don't take much tweaking and you may have tweaked where you shouldn't.[/quote']

yea i've set the broadband account info on the router a couple of times and it resets each time i change something. hopefully chris will get to the bottom of it later.

the router is fine, it works. the problem seems to be that the seperate modem isn't picking up the login info from the router so it's not connecting. it should in theory just plug in out of the box and work, but it doesn't. I'm going to look deeper into it tomorrow.