aberdeen-music

Charles Kennedy

Chris

as a bit of a libdem fan it's quite dissapointing in some ways to hear that all the rumours are true despite is denials even up to december 2005, particularly since the announcement seems to have been done as an attempt to preempt a leak to the press. Still, he's man enough to admit it and plans to run in the leadership contest. Maybe this will breathe more life into the libdems in the face of david camerons impending doom.

I feel sorry for him. I don't think he deserves all the trouble he's getting just now. It just seems like a reaction to the tories almost looking electable for the first time in 10 years. so far all the lib dem MPs who with a name that would be of any use in replacing him appear to have distanced themselves from the contest so we'll see what happens.

i hope it brings them back into things a bit more. i do like charles kennedy but if a leadership contest manages to bring out another couple of strong liberals then it can only be good for british politics. i'm glad menzies campbell isn't running, i like him but i don't think he's got what it takes to increase the lib dem share of the vote any.

as a bit of a libdem fan it's quite dissapointing in some ways to hear that all the rumours are true despite is denials even up to december 2005' date=' particularly since the announcement seems to have been done as an attempt to preempt a leak to the press. Still, he's man enough to admit it and plans to run in the leadership contest. Maybe this will breathe more life into the libdems in the face of david camerons impending doom.[/quote']

with the press' desire to crucify everyone I can see why he would want to deal with this with his family and on his own until he has had a chance to get through it. It does seem that he is doing it to preempt the press leak but I think the fact that he has helped turn the Libdems around, I think has more public support than any libdem leader in my memory (possibly only tied with Paddy Ashdown in column inches actually) means that hopefully he will get through it and remain the leader.

Cheers

Stuart

I think the media has been really shit towards Charles Kennedy. He has taken action to address a problem (drinking) but is still crucified. A certain newspaper portraying him as a stereotypical Scottish redhead pisshead did nobody any favours. Yes, it may sell papers but he has apparently been working hard to sort out the drinking.

As Jester said, he has a family and Im sure they can (if given a chance) support him.

fair play to malcolm bruce. he just gave an interview on bbc news 24 calling for the lib dem mp's who have been calling for charles kennedy to quit and who have been giving interviews saying he's unfit to lead and all that to be more mature and wait till commons reconvenes next week. it's sickening the way some of these mp's have been acting and the bbc as well has been disgusting in their treatment of charles kennedy. okay he lied but alcholism breeds denial and he needs support. these vultures circling round him only seem interested in furthering their own careers by clearing the way for a newcomer to win the leadership election and give them better jobs.

he's recovering from a drink problem but he's hardly boris yeltzin. just goes to show once again that most politicians are just fucking dicks.

I find it hard to see him surviving this really, there has been too much pressure on him for a sustained period of time now. Even if he were to win a vote of confidence or a possible leadership contest I'm not sure he would be able to gain the confidence of the public to move the Lib Dems forward after this. In the long run it may be better if he just stood aside although i would regret to see him go.

I find it hard to see him surviving this really' date=' there has been too much pressure on him for a sustained period of time now. Even if he were to win a vote of confidence or a possible leadership contest I'm not sure he would be able to gain the confidence of the public to move the Lib Dems forward after this. In the long run it may be better if he just stood aside although i would regret to see him go.[/quote']

In general I think he has the confidence of the public,I think one of the reasons the other Libdems are being so vocal about the contest is because they're trying to erode the public trust in Kennedy. The Lib Dems have become far more powerfull with Kennedy, and a l,ot of that is the fact he really does come across like any other guy, not an oxford graduate groomed for power.

Cheers

Stuart

The MP's are loving this, which I find really unprofessional. They're basically saying that he shouldn't lead the party because he had/has a drink problem. They are also using this admission of a drink problem to get rid of him quickly, unlike the slow back stabbing we've seen in recent months.

I think the fact that he has admitted the problem is a great start. He never had any trouble leading the party before, so the future should be no different. I'm just pissed off that the Lib Dem MPs think they can kick him out for drinking. He's human after all, everyone has their problems.

I can't really put my anger into words properly, but I'm pissed off, and I hope he stays.

Guest tv tanned

The smily face has slipped from a lot of these Lib Dem MPs.

They parade themselves as the "nice guys" at election time, but it's clear that they're just as capable of power-hungry scheming as any of the other big two parties.

I'm no fan of Kennedy, but these people are behaving like absolute cowards.

The smily face has slipped from a lot of these Lib Dem MPs.

They parade themselves as the "nice guys" at election time' date=' but it's clear that they're just as capable of power-hungry scheming as any of the other big two parties.

I'm no fan of Kennedy, but these people are behaving like absolute cowards.[/quote']

come on, not just the other big two parties but any political party. there was much shadowy dealing done in the final weeks of john swinneys leadership i'm sure.

Guest tv tanned

yes, there was, and I was just as quick to condemn those in my party who were briefing against John behind the scenes without having the guts to stand against him or tell him to his face they thought he should go. It was nothing like this though, with people stating that they would resign if he stayed on or that they would not fill vacancies. (Apparently 20 Lib Dems are going to threaten to resign or refuse front bench positions)

Sorry for not including my party or the SSP and the Sheridan-saga in there as well.

You get the point though.

yes' date=' there was, and I was just as quick to condemn those in my party who were briefing against John behind the scenes without having the guts to stand against him or tell him to his face they thought he should go. It was nothing like this though, with people stating that they would resign if he stayed on or that they would not fill vacancies. (Apparently 20 Lib Dems are going to threaten to resign or refuse front bench positions)

Sorry for not including my party or the SSP and the Sheridan-saga in there as well.

You get the point though.[/quote']

yea i get the point, and i agree completely as well. it's cowardly and pathetic.

i hope the public will back kennedy at least up till a leadership contest. i wouldn't if the reason was just that kennedy had taken them as far as they can go and perhaps it's time for a change of tack. for kennedy to go this way is an incredible slight against the man who led the lib dems during one of thier most successful political periods ever. i can't see anyone waiting in the wings who will be as strong and can only see them fading into the political wilderness much like the tories pre-cameron.

I think its a real shame and I've lost a lot of respect for the libdems over the way they've treated Kennedy and tbh I think they'll regret it. Kennedy was the strongest public face they had, the only other one I can think of ith a media friendly profile is Lembit Opik. Lembit for leader, I also liked his comments yesterday about Kennedy.

Cheers

Stuart

Guest b-bert
I could only picture him missing his mouth and pouring drinks over himself...

haha

Airplane is awesome.

Edit: but i do think the media (and some other lib dems) are being a bit harsh.

Kennedy should have never have stood down. If I was leader and 25 MPs told me they'd resign if I didn't leave by Monday, I'll tell them to head for the jobcentre.

There was nothing wrong with Kennedy's leadership. The Lib Dems are so far up their own arses, with all this "We can't have an alcoholic leading us" bullshit, it pisses me off. Nope, Kennedy has made the wrong decision.