aberdeen-music

Mendeed

Inkster

For all you who seen Mendeed play with Weapon in Glasgow and said they were crap,and for those of you who saw them support DragonForce at Moshulu and slay, here is Kerrang's review of the new album:

With an iron clad reputation for utterly ferocious live shows and the kind of instrumental wizardry you only hear from bands destined for greatness, it comes as no surprise that the first full length from Glaswegian metal beserkers Mendeed is heavy. As. Fuck.

But 'This War..' is far more than a mere slab of metallic might. Buried within these 12 shiver-inducing odes to the majesty of Iron Maiden and the hard edged brutality of The Haunted there's a vitality and inventiveness that screams Mendeed's status as one of the UK's finest metal acts from the rooftops.

If it isn't the two pronged attack of guitarists Steph Gildea and Steven Nixon's finger-shredding classicism on tracks like 'Remains Of The Day' or 'Stand As One Fight For Glory', it's drummer Kevin Matthews' mechanised percussive assault and singer Dave Proctor's throat-ripping fervour on 'Beneath A Burning Sky' that castrates the glut of metalcore acts jamming the store shelves and replaces it with something old-fashioned - great fucking songs.

But it's really 'The Mourning Aftermath'- a potent brew of metal might that gives way to a gorgeous, violin backed soundscape guaranteed to send shivers down your spine - that proclaims this Scottish quintet's unique identity and vision.

Mendeed, simply, own - and with 'This War...' they've won their first battle for metal supremacy. KKKK

i think maybe it was due to the fact that they kind of put in a very kind of autopilot performance if you know what i mean. They were doing the promoter a favour by playing.

They were still awesome that night. It's not something that we would ever do...we play every show like its our last to be totally honest wether to twenty people or 6000 ;) but hey, Mendeed are a great band.

Good luck to them. I hope MMw's and Mendeed's paths cross again soon.

I saw Mendeed at the Camden Underworld in August and i thought they were nothing special. The band who supported them Malefice were a hundred times better.

I missed them when they supported Dragonforce but i wouldn't mind seeing them again as you cant really judge a band on one performance.

Keep me in the loop HOG :up:

Terrorizer are normally pretty spot on. but im sure you'll all agree that you cant judge an album based purely on reviews (unless of course every review gives somthing 10/10 or somthing fairly bad) i've seen Metal Hammer give Dissection 3/10 only for a review of the same album in the back of the same issue (the "underground" section) giving a fantastic review. you can usualy bet that terrorizer will give things totally diffrent scores compared to metal hammer and kerrang, and terrorizer are usually right

i couldnt care less what kerrang say' date=' they are boring and uninspiring metal and whilst im sure thats ok for many people it doesnt make them anything other than another average band (like bleeding through for example)[/quote']

Almost agree 100%, I'd replace the word 'average' with 'gash', though...........