aberdeen-music

Tunnels 04.01.06

bladeola

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is not a bitching reply' date=' i respect your opinions but i am really interested on that list, please either post it or PM it to me i am honestly curious[/quote']

ok,....

i thought element 106 were awful, it puzzles me how 4 guys who have been playing together for that length of time can still have such a shocking sound. im sure the bass playing was impressive technically but it sounded like a crock of shit, no low end = really empty songs = solos sounding crap = people thinking thewre should be another guitar in there. the drummer really needs to hit harder, i dont care how fast he is playing, i (and im sure the sound engineer) reckon that he needs to hit harder and tighter, if there were any song dynamics before, the bassist and drummer well and truly killed them.

im sure its not very constructive or anything

Noooooooooo!

I asked a mate about this gig and I swear she said The Shotgun Love Affair were playing, so I steered well clear! FUCK! That's pretty gutting!

Sounds like it was a good night, shame I didn't go. I'm back online on Aberdeen-Music now so at least this won't happen again!

Noooooooooo!

I asked a mate about this gig and I swear she said The Shotgun Love Affair were playing' date=' so I steered well clear! FUCK! That's pretty gutting!

Sounds like it was a good night, shame I didn't go. I'm back online on Aberdeen-Music now so at least this won't happen again![/quote']

*cough* http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31778 *cough*

:p

ok' date='....

i thought element 106 were awful, it puzzles me how 4 guys who have been playing together for that length of time can still have such a shocking sound. im sure the bass playing was impressive technically but it sounded like a crock of shit, no low end = really empty songs = solos sounding crap = people thinking thewre should be another guitar in there. the drummer really needs to hit harder, i dont care how fast he is playing, i (and im sure the sound engineer) reckon that he needs to hit harder and tighter, if there were any song dynamics before, the bassist and drummer well and truly killed them.

im sure its not very constructive or anything[/quote']

What solos? Just one short one.

The sound engineer didnt have a problem with how hard Chris his drums. When I first saw Element live, I thought "that guy is good but he needs to hit the kit harder", but after joining, I realised that he could play anything that was thrown at him, Slipknot, Fear factory stuff, Dimmu. Yeah, he is not a "smash the kit" or "stick twirling" drummer, in fact he sometimes looks like he doesnt give a shit but to be honest, he can do most metal stuff and that is what matters to us.

I pretty much disagree with everything you have said Maxi, however opinions are like assholes etc etc. Usually its my vox that people have a problem with, although Im sure you can mention that too:up:

oh and maxi are you a metal fan???

depends what you call metal

do i listen to iron maiden? do i fuck

do i listen to pantera/slayer? certainly not adverse to it

do i listen to neurosis/botch/mastadon etc? hell yeah

sludge/doom/grind etc are all in my collection' date=' and i can appreciate all kinds of music within reason,

i regard desalvo as metal [url']www.myspace.com/desalvoland and they are playing on the 20th jan in the east neuk, maybe im off the mark, i dont really care. its fast, its heavy, its brutal and they hit things hard. thats metal in my book

The sound engineer didnt have a problem with how hard Chris his drums. When I first saw Element live' date=' I thought "that guy is good but he needs to hit the kit harder", but after joining, I realised that he could play anything that was thrown at him, Slipknot, Fear factory stuff, Dimmu.

[/quote']

thats great that he can do all of that, but if its too quiet (esp in a metal band) then you still lose all of your song dynamics.

Yeah, he is not a "smash the kit" or "stick twirling" drummer, in fact he sometimes looks like he doesnt give a shit but to be honest, he can do most metal stuff and that is what matters to us.

well thats all that matters

I pretty much disagree with everything you have said Maxi, however opinions are like assholes etc etc. Usually its my vox that people have a problem with, although Im sure you can mention that too:up:

i didnt see the point in mentioning the vocals, you whinge about them enough anyway

im not trying to be a dick, hence why i didnt post it originally. he asked, and i said. its always nice to get an impartial opinion every now and again.

but as you say, opinions/arseholes etc

:love:

ok' date='....

im sure the bass playing was impressive technically but it sounded like a crock of shit, no low end = really empty songs = solos sounding crap = people thinking thewre should be another guitar in there.[/quote']

again i aint being bitchy is honest curiosity.

for the crock of shit remark: what would you suggest in terms of bass sound? other than getting more low end?

The sound engineer didnt have a problem with how hard Chris his drums. When I first saw Element live' date=' I thought "that guy is good but he needs to hit the kit harder", but after joining, I realised that he could play anything that was thrown at him, Slipknot, Fear factory stuff, Dimmu. Yeah, he is not a "smash the kit" or "stick twirling" drummer, in fact he sometimes looks like he doesnt give a shit but to be honest, he can do most metal stuff and that is what matters to us.

I pretty much disagree with everything you have said Maxi, however opinions are like assholes etc etc. Usually its my vox that people have a problem with, although Im sure you can mention that too:up:[/quote']

yeah hog i asked for my own personal use and sake, i dont care how much someone hates E106, i dont care how much someone hates metal, every opinion is a good source of information, the trick is knowing how to reed comments.

even the fact that someone comes up to me and tells me: "you know you are the shittiest bass player i ever herd...." at least i made you think on a comment about me :-)

so in the end i want to know so all of you bitches stfu

SOM were awful, nothing personal at all but I found them unlistenable. Today We Fight were better, but need to stop fannying around with the slow bits in the songs.

E106 played another solid set.

Didn't bother watching We Shall Be Bored, because they're gash.

The programme catalogue courteous of Jake was a good read, though. And the lass handing out the flyors was good for a ribbing.......

ok' date='....

I actually pretty much agree with all of that. I wasn't at this gig, but the few times I have seen Element have been the same. They just sounded a bit ropey tbh, like they're only just holding it together somehow. And something does seem to be missing, whether it's more bass, another guitar or whatever, dunno. I always think the drums should be the engine powering the band along like they can't help it. The Element drums feel more like a rickety trailer bouncing along behind. It may be very clever technically, but if you don't look or sound like you're totally into it then neither will anyone else be.

Just my ars..erm, opinion.

ps good review, Mr Ola.

again i aint being bitchy is honest curiosity.

for the crock of shit remark: what would you suggest in terms of bass sound? other than getting more low end?

i dont really know what you are looking for tbh

but in general more low end, more gain (input), adjust your middle accordingly. form what i see you liek it to be trebley, so again adjust accordingly. if you were using any pedals/boards, chuck them out and get better ones :D

gain wise a good tip is to set it at 8 on input and if it feeds back take it back a notch or so. some bands liek having feedback some dont.

man i sound like cloud there :(

i dont really know what you are looking for tbh

but in general more low end' date=' more gain (input), adjust your middle accordingly. form what i see you liek it to be trebley, so again adjust accordingly. if you were using any pedals/boards, chuck them out and get better ones :D

gain wise a good tip is to set it at 8 on input and if it feeds back take it back a notch or so. some bands liek having feedback some dont.

man i sound like cloud there :([/quote']

well you see i am using an 18v instrument compared with the 9v active i have seen around, and i am always scared that the sound is too moshi and lacking definition, i am using a pedal only for a bit of compression and a boost to volume through tapping.

also, because i play with fingers instead of a pick, my sound tends to mush up and be shit in the way of hearing single notes

so far ace tips man :up:

You know man' date=' thats what i get all the time:up:

I'll say it again - harder hitting=wasting energy and speed, thats what drum mics are for!!

LOL:love:[/quote']

not wanting to sound a cunt here, but i disagree with that statement.

Ive seen some far harder hitters playing at a much faster speed than you do.

im not slaggin your drumming or anything, cause you are very very good, but i just think thats nonsense.

SOM were awful' date=' nothing personal at all but I found them unlistenable. Today We Fight were better, but need to stop fannying around with the slow bits in the songs.

E106 played another solid set.

Didn't bother watching We Shall Be Bored, because they're gash.

The programme catalogue courteous of Jake was a good read, though. And the lass handing out the flyors was good for a ribbing.......[/quote']

another reasuring comment for the Misery crew! ha only kidden.

i really liked today we fight, good no nonsence hard core!

WSBB were gash, good band crap music. i just dont like the type o singing that is in sync with the snare drum (you know the "YA SHA MA CA NA TA LA!!!!")

but am just one gye (and a sexy one at that!)

:popcorn:

Guest Fright Night

S.o.M i thought were not to bad, thay have had better gigs but not to bad. Today we fight were good so were E106, We shall be blessed were ok but nothing out of the norm.

all over good gig.

:up:

I actually pretty much agree with all of that. I wasn't at this gig' date=' but the few times I have seen Element have been the same. They just sounded a bit ropey tbh, like they're only just holding it together somehow. And something does seem to be missing, whether it's more bass, another guitar or whatever, dunno. I always think the drums should be the engine powering the band along like they can't help it. The Element drums feel more like a rickety trailer bouncing along behind. It may be very clever technically, but if you don't look or sound like you're totally into it then neither will anyone else be.

Just my ars..erm, opinion.

ps good review, Mr Ola.

Ach well, all feedback is good. But i would say there are some fair points there, we have been toying with the idea of a second guitarist for a while, but we are settled in our 4 piece outfit and have been for too long now to upset the balance. We used to be a five piece, and we actually sounded worse IMHO. We sound alot more raw now, but i admit, some areas could do with chunking up.

Regarding the drums, something i take very seriously, all i can say is i'm no sound engineer, and once we start, i have no control over the sound of the drums or the band. It really depends on alot of factors, who the engineer is, what drumkit is being used, whether i'm having a good day or not, etc, no bullsh*t, just points of fact that affect all drummers, and musicians alike. I would say that i'm one of the rare drummers here who actually do go behind the kit and change tom tunings/ / bass drum tension before i play them, as they are critical to me playing the best, also i get the engineer to compress the bass drum sound considerably to get that warm slappy click that i love, i cant stand drummers who go behind a kit and play "as is" without making it their own because it will always sound not quite like their own thing!

But there we go, just y perspective on the matter!:up::gringo:

not wanting to sound a cunt here' date=' but i disagree with that statement.

Ive seen some far harder hitters playing at a much faster speed than you do.

im not slaggin your drumming or anything, cause you are very very good, but i just think thats nonsense.[/quote']

Heap of bollocks as usual - regardless of tempo, why bother hitting harder than you have to? If that was an issue I'd be onto Alesis asking for triggers (though this is patly due to the fact that most house kits in Aberdeen venues are fucking gash, and my playing is more so :D)........

ok' date='....

If the sound is that bad in you opinion MR Maxi, how can you tell whether the drums are tight sounding or not? An impossible situation i think you might say. Drums are always extremely accurate, yes i do admit i'm not the hardest of hitter, but thats not my thing, even if alot of people dont like it, tough luck i guess. I'm basically a jazz drummer playing metal music, i even use really thin sticks for extra maneoverability at speed. They are easier to throw round a kit faster! But its not for everyone to appreciate i suppose. And i'm not really playing that fast in E106, believe me i could play alot faster, but the music does not necessitate that sort of drumming, plus the volume and precision starts to drop off. Too many drummers think they can play at such speeds with their feet and hands, but are very sloppy, unacurrate, unconsistant and would give triggering a run for its money. I dont believe in playing beyond your ability to show people what you can do, because you CANT do it period. Keep it for practice, NOT LIVE performances.:kiss::band::cheers: