aberdeen-music

Tunnels 04.01.06

bladeola

So Tunnels show featuring Statue of Misery, Today We Fight, Element 106 and We Shall Be Blessed.

Arrived to see most of Statues set.

Im still forming my opinion on them. I think there is a good band there. There are some good parts to songs and will be some actual good songs as a whole soon. The playing is all pretty competent and the band are tight. I also think the singer has ability but doesnt use it right. What i mean is he doesnt vary the vocal melodies enough. This is usually to do with inexperience. Beleive me, I know haha! Anyway solid performance and a good metal band that in a year or two could really be a great band.

Today We Fight seemed very anxious to get on and it showed in the set. Just getting better with every performance and the first time I saw them they were wicked. Maybe i Just enjoy them the more I see them. I just think they take all the best parts of what you want in a fast melodic hardcore punk band and put them in every song. The chord progressions, the drumming and the beatdowns, all what you want. I really like Tims voice. Its very unique actually. I would put in a bit more melodic backing vocals but thats not something that hampers the band at all.

I was very keen to see Element 106 again after enjoying what i paid attention to at the tunnels the previous month. Fuck, I was pretty into it. I mean i love metal anyway but really did enjoy the set. There are a few parts i wasnt keen on but hey...thats to be expected. Some of the songs i REALLY like and some seem more filler to me. The vocals are AWESOME!! A good front man for this type of band too. I do hear some sections screaming out for another guitar and some lead parts/solos. That would be great. I also wished that the drummer would hit harder. Thats just me, im fussy about that. I like to see drummers huff and puff and beat the fuck out of their kit. I enjoyed Element and they are band that, for me have great parts and then not so great parts. I will be at their next show, im sure.

We Shall Be Blessed to close then. Very worthy of closing this bill as well. Poor guys. Everything that coulda gone wrong really did in the technical trouble stakes. You got to get a show like that out the way every now and again. the band were not happy with the show at all. The thing is though is that they played pretty well and if not for the tech troubles then it wouldve gone down as a solid Blessed gig in my eyes. Chris' vocals were the highlight for me. He put in a wicked performance. Im really not a fan of the "tech metal" sort of sub genre that these guys slot into BUT there is something about WSBB's songs that means i enjoy it and I enjoy them on record as well which is testament to their songwriting.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Tunnels show featuring Statue of Misery' date=' Today We Fight, Element 106 and We Shall Be Blessed.

Im still forming my opinion on them. I think there is a good band there. There are some good parts to songs and will be some actual good songs as a whole soon. The playing is all pretty competent and the band are tight. I also think the singer has ability but doesnt use it right. What i mean is he doesnt vary the vocal melodies enough. This is usually to do with inexperience. Beleive me, I know haha! Anyway solid performance and a good metal band that in a year or two could really be a great band.

Today We Fight seemed very anxious to get on and it showed in the set. Just getting better with every performance and the first time I saw them they were wicked. Maybe i Just enjoy them the more I see them. I just think they take all the best parts of what you want in a fast melodic hardcore punk band and put them in every song. The chord progressions, the drumming and the beatdowns, all what you want. I really like Tims voice. Its very unique actually. I would put in a bit more melodic backing vocals but thats not something that hampers the band at all.

I was very keen to see Element 106 again after enjoying what i paid attention to at the tunnels the previous month. Fuck, I was pretty into it. I mean i love metal anyway but really did enjoy the set. There are a few parts i wasnt keen on but hey...thats to be expected. Some of the songs i REALLY like and some seem more filler to me. The vocals are AWESOME!! A good front man for this type of band too. I do hear some sections screaming out for another guitar and some lead parts/solos. That would be great. I also wished that the drummer would hit harder. Thats just me, im fussy about that. I like to see drummers huff and puff and beat the fuck out of their kit. I enjoyed Element and they are band that, for me have great parts and then not so great parts. I will be at their next show, im sure.

We Shall Be Blessed to close then. Very worthy of closing this bill as well. Poor guys. Everything that coulda gone wrong really did in the technical trouble stakes. You got to get a show like that out the way every now and again. the band were not happy with the show at all. The thing is though is that they played pretty well and if not for the tech troubles then it wouldve gone down as a solid Blessed gig in my eyes. Chris' vocals were the highlight for me. He put in a wicked performance. Im really not a fan of the "tech metal" sort of sub genre that these guys slot into BUT there is something about WSBB's songs that means i enjoy it and I enjoy them on record as well which is testament to their songwriting.[/quote']

Yep, thats pretty much bang on man. Thanks for the review.

Element are still playing some old tunes that were written by people who are no longer in the band so hopefully less filler in the future:up:

Good night though, enjoyed all the bands!

So Tunnels show featuring Statue of Misery' date=' Today We Fight, Element 106 and We Shall Be Blessed.

[/quote']

Cheers man. not the best but surely not the worst performance from us.

A great night, really enjoyed myself and thats the first time for a while.

CHEERS TO EVERYONE WHO CAME AND CHEERS TO REBECCA FOR BEIN COOL AND I AM SORRY FOR BEIN A DRUNKEN ASS!!!!!:up:

my over-opinionated penny

missed s-o-m

today we fight are solid as fuck-great band, fast, quirky hardcore that is simple and beefy. i would love to see them in some basement/rehearsal shows up here, tim is a great frontman! i dont really have much more to say about them, just great and always enjoyable. looking forward to the new 7".

i was expecting a helluva lot more from element 106 and was seriously dissapointed. they could actually be one of the worst local bands i have seen. i actually just typed up a list of why i thought that, but nobody actually cares and i dont really see what it will achieve by stickign it here. if requested ill post it up, but its nae pretty.

we shall blessed had a bit of a shocker, more the equipment side of things, little things like sticks/leads etc. usually super tight, but everyone has an off night, and i doubt they were losing sleep over it and it was good that they could laugh it off. they have the songs, the layers and the right sound to pull it off though. the blasts were sounding great and i agree with ben about chris, he is a great frontman with a great growl and scream. its been a joy watching this band get so fucking good so fucking quickly

my over-opinionated penny

i was expecting a helluva lot more from element 106 and was seriously dissapointed. they could actually be one of the worst local bands i have seen. i actually just typed up a list of why i thought that' date=' but nobody actually cares and i dont really see what it will achieve by stickign it here. if requested ill post it up, but its nae pretty.

[/quote']

this is not a bitching reply, i respect your opinions but i am really interested on that list, please either post it or PM it to me i am honestly curious

this is not a bitching reply' date=' i respect your opinions but i am really interested on that list, please either post it or PM it to me i am honestly curious[/quote']

Im not usually that bothered with Maxi's musical opinions. I knew before we played that he would hate us. He doesnt like us, not gonna lose sleep.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Statue of Misery - Solid, if unspectacular metal, nothing special. Was quite taken with the little fellow at the side, he looked right at home up there. I hated the vocals though. I hate that kind of vox anyway, and they don't suit SOM's music at all. Some Tony 106 gribbling would suit it better.

Today We Fight - Solid, no-nonsense HC, certainly had its moments. Jim, thanks for the stuff I bought off you a while ago.

Elemunt 106 - Usual solid set. Best metal band round here, even if there's very little competition. Hog's vox are always worth a yak!

We Shall Be Blessed - 2nd time I've seen them. I remember them being described as "brutal, technical spazzcore" on here. Too much technical and not enough brutal. These guys were the musical equivalent of a prick-tease. I kept wishing they would stop buggering about and just floor it. They didn't do that nearly enough. All this technical stuff is a bit too self-indulgent for me. It's a shame, there's the makings of a damn fine band in there if only they would just get on with it. I soon got bored of all the wanking. The fast bits are top-notch, but there's not nearly enough of that.

Overall, an OK night. Good luck to Rebecca with her promotion, anyone who won't book emo is fine with me.

The next one's on Feb 21st which is going to be more of a punky one with Five Finger Discount, Crashdown, The Upstarts and others, then in April there'll be another metal extravaganza HOPEFULLY featuring the return of one of Aberdeen's most missed metal bands.

Anyone interested in playing either can PM me

Rebecca

-x-

Yep, cheers for the gig Rebecca. Also sorry for PMing you to ask about soundcheck times and making the sweeping assumption that you were a guy i.e. "Hey man, what time is sound check"

So what is worse, being accused of being ginger or a man?:laughing:

I also wished that the drummer would hit harder. Thats just me, im fussy about that. I like to see drummers huff and puff and beat the fuck out of their kit.[/quote']

You know man, thats what i get all the time:up:

I'll say it again - harder hitting=wasting energy and speed, thats what drum mics are for!!

LOL:love: