aberdeen-music

Most Over-rated band of all time?

Lemonade

I'm totally with you on that last point. I don't enjoy Nevermind the Bollocks by the Sex Pistols but they are still probably the most important band in terms of the effect they had on the music which came after them and which felt the reverberations of the cultural impact they made. But i hate Hendrix totally in that i hate listening to his music. I got the impression you were giving him credit purely in a muso sense in that he was such a gifted guitarist.

I think that's what S o S was doing. But Jimi Hendrix didn't revolutionise "guitar music" (whatever that is) because what he was doing was unnecessary and decadent. Infact, I'd go as far to say his only cultural impact was to lay the foundations for what INSPIRED punk to start as a counter to, ie over-indulgence, showmanship and extended jams at the expense of songs

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're crediting the wrong person for rock's slide into self-indulgence. If someone of Hendrix's talent refused to push themselves as far as they could go into uncharted musical waters would be a sin. It was the people who came after him' date=' hoping to fill the gap he left, that cheapened and spoiled what Hendrix had set out to achieve.

Also remember, as well as the extended solos and waves of feedback, there's a lot of fantastic three minute pop songs in his catalogue, more than you'd find in the average punk band's repertoire.[/quote']

You're right, I probably am. But since we're talking about his impact, I'm sure he inspired young people to pick up guitars and approach them with the aim of being faster and trickier and more impressive. But no more than Jeff Beck or Jimmy Page, i suppose

He does have some songs, but I find that he let most descend into ragas, which were more fun for him and his band than sober punters. The same goes for James Brown and Parliament, but then they influenced punk bands like Josef K.

Lets just agree: punk did it BETTER

I think that's what S o S was doing. But Jimi Hendrix didn't revolutionise "guitar music" (whatever that is) because what he was doing was unnecessary and decadent. Infact' date=' I'd go as far to say his only cultural impact was to lay the foundations for what INSPIRED punk to start as a counter to, ie over-indulgence, showmanship and extended jams at the expense of songs[/quote']

He revolutionised guitar playing, song writing and music in general, it cant be argued, it's just a fact!

I don't enjoy Nevermind the Bollocks by the Sex Pistols but they are still probably the most important band in terms of the effect they had on the music which came after them and which felt the reverberations of the cultural impact they made.

NO WAY!

That goes to the Beatles, they had impact and influence on a global scale on so many levels!!!

NO WAY!

That goes to the Beatles' date=' they had impact and influence on a global scale on so many levels!!![/quote']

Sorry, I'm not backtracking here. I actually meant to say that they were the most important band to me in that sense. They were certainly the most important band to come after the Beatles.

They were certainly the most important band to come after the Beatles.

Nope' date=' but I would say that they are definitely one of the numerous musical 'big bangs' that happen every now and then.

What can be argued though is that his music was shit and lacking in any real emotional resonance or purpose.

That's down to personal taste/opinion and could be said about any band.

I like reading people's opinions on here but some people talk utter shite and take this far too seriously.

You like what you like and you don't like what you don't like. Simple as.

I find The Killers to be over rated. I like the first half of the album but the other half is utter pish.

I also think that Slipknot are over rated. I just find them silly.

Thats only my opinion tho.

Guest Mr Blastcap

tortoise

Mogwai (dont get it at all, its just shit)

mercury rev ( flaming lips for Mojo readers)

ocean colour scene ( stinky)

Weller ( apart from that floorboards up song)

Texas ( wtf are they for?)

50 cent ( total div)

James Blunt ( absolute gimp, makes me want to be sick)

slint ( good band but not the holy grail)

tortoise

Mogwai (dont get it at all' date=' its just shit)

mercury rev ( flaming lips for Mojo readers)

ocean colour scene ( stinky)

Weller ( apart from that floorboards up song)

Texas ( wtf are they for?)

50 cent ( total div)

James Blunt ( absolute gimp, makes me want to be sick)

slint ( good band but not the holy grail)[/quote']

Some good examples raised there perhaps but Mercury Rev? Loads of output with varying success, not exactly massively heralded or talked about anyways (a lot less than Flaming Lips at least) and surely not achieving the kind of commercial selling that indicates being hugely over-rated?

Ocean Colour Scene as well stand out for me in that list. Surely no one cares anymore? :p

Guest Mr Blastcap
Some good examples raised there perhaps but Mercury Rev? Loads of output with varying success' date=' not exactly massively heralded or talked about anyways (a lot less than Flaming Lips at least) and surely not achieving the kind of commercial selling that indicates being hugely over-rated?

Ocean Colour Scene as well stand out for me in that list. Surely no one cares anymore? :p[/quote']

its just Craddock really. just the hint of his "guitar playing" really gets my goat.i can sustain a good 15 minute rant riddled with inventive expletives on the subject.

i suppose the lips have rightly out shone mercury rev in the last few years, but there was a while they were getting much more attention.

oxes- they are jist rubbish, i hates 'em. everybody hip name checks em, god knows why.

ramones-i dont see the appeal really.

idlewild-captain is great, downhill from then on.

any band championed by Kerrang!

the clash- right, its just shit. annoying.

bob dylan- dont see it.

mind you i'm pretty tasteless when it comes to music.

Guest bluesxman
I find The Killers to be over rated. I like the first half of the album but the other half is utter pish.

That's exactly what I thought when my girlfriend bought it! Now through overexposure i'm just fed up of them generally. Apart from 'All These Things I Have Done', their best song by miles.

Guest bluesxman
I think that's what S o S was doing. But Jimi Hendrix didn't revolutionise "guitar music" (whatever that is) because what he was doing was unnecessary and decadent. Infact' date=' I'd go as far to say his only cultural impact was to lay the foundations for what INSPIRED punk to start as a counter to, ie over-indulgence, showmanship and extended jams at the expense of songs[/quote']

I own the 'official' albums, but am not fanatical by any stretch, and I'm lost as to where most of the comments on Hendrix are coming from. They seem pretty ill informed really. When the Pistols arrived, their target was prog rock bands such as Yes and Emerson Lake and Palmer, those were the real culprits of extended and unnecessary improvisations and have no connection to Hendrix's style of music.

'Band Of Gypsies' is the only 'official' Hendrix album released which could be looked at as improvised jamming to my ears, but that's what he wanted to do at that time to break away from the Experience days. A couple of earlier Experience numbers, mainly on 'Are You Experienced?' are more instrumentals rather than songs, but the bulk of his material is 'normal' length songs. Hendrix introduced a style of guitar playing and showmanship that had guitarists such as Clapton questioning their validity (now there is someone the term indulgence could be applied to in terms of guitar playing), and was capable of interpreting other people's material to make it his own - hence Bob Dylan himself acknowledges the quality of Hendrix's version of 'All Along The Watchtower'.

I can listen to Hendrix albums in terms of their era and hear real innovation and the path being laid for those who came after - name me one band of modern times who you can say that about.

This could be the best post that I've read in a long while... I'm reading away at Mr. "DZL" slaggin U2' date=' Oasis then lumping Franz Ferdinand, Green Day and Coldplay together as "middle-class, weedy, student arty-farty bollox, dour tinkly-bonk riffs and nasal vocals".

Who does this boy like?

The Darkness!?!?! Product!!

Genius! I hope he wasn't being serious but it made me laugh.[/quote']

Genius? - Thanks!!!

I'm not being too serious, but I didn't want to pass up the opportunity to vent my spleen :finger:

All of the bands I've dissed have something to offer someone and all of them have produced, for me at least, some memorable tracks (especially The Darkness, who are memorably PISH:laughing: ).

My main problem is the amount of airplay and media coverage these acts get to the detriment of other equally worthy bands/acts/singers. But I suppose it's always been like that.

Someone mentioned "death by pentatonic", it's a fair statement if you're not into blues-based music, but what about "death by bar chord" as yet another band of weird-looking misfits thrash and shout their way through another ansgst-laden dirge.

Or "death by strumming" (e.g. Idlewild, Turin Brakes). Nothing wrong with that, but do they have to be so dreary? Where's the drama/fun/excitement? Life can be crap enough without being drawn into someone else's misery:laughing:

Still, each to their own:up:

Anway, this thread is an exercise in futility, but provides us all with some amusement.

DZL.

Ps- some bands ARE truly mince:down:

Pps - what am I into ? - Everything!. Good musicianship, song structure, thought-provoking lyrics, live performances and sometimes just plain mindless boogie (as long as it's FUN).

The Sensational Alex Harvey Band are my all time faves. All you guitarists should catch them later this year for a masterclass in musicianship and showmanship from Zal Cleminson - he's the reason I started playing:up:

Guest Bob Double Jack

The Darkness - i liked their 1st album, but so over-rated. Hawkins will be on a reality tv show within the next 5 years to revive his flagging "career".

U2 - slap on some delay, and have some whining self important c*nt rant on. never got them, Bono is the biggest wank on the planet.

Coldplay - Don't get me started on this mob. dull, depressing, i do not get them at all.

PINK FLOYD

QUEEN

ROBBIE WILLIAMS

TEXAS

COLDPLAY

EMINEM

VELVET UNDERGROUND

STONE ROSES

OASIS

PAUL WELLER

THE DOORS

U2

DEPECHE MODE

ELTON JOHN

FOO FIGHTERS

STEREOPHONICS

MOGWAI

all V over-rated

but most of all......

JOY DIVISION

EDIT: no' date=' i meant NIRVANA.[/quote']

I love how you capitalise all the bands, so CONTROVERSIAL do you consider your choices to be. Oh MY, how could you SAY the UNSAYABLE? This is all so UNEXPECTED.

ETC.