aberdeen-music

online poker

Guest five years

I used to play on Poker Room quite a lot, but the problem is that most internet players are blindly naive and overly gung-ho (can't see their faces either), so you can't screw that much money out of them. You can't bluff on the internet either, which is the bit I enjoy most.

Nothing beats playing at a real table......

I play online for real money. The best place to start is sit and go tournaments. The usual ones are $2, $5 and $10 entries. I recommend playing 5 man tables are easy enough to beat. The main trick is to play real tight for the first few blind levels then when the blinds are big enough go mega aggresive.

Cash games are a completely different sceneraio.... You have to play really tight (e.g. Aces, Kings, Queens, Jacks, AK,AQ,AJ(late position) and occasionly suited connectors). Your pre-flop raises should be the same amount every time (3 or 4 times the big blind) and you have to take into account a whole host of things (e.g. pot odds/position). They can be extremetly profitable but if you go on tilt make sure you STAY AWAY for cash games for a while....i learned this the hard way.

I could go on for hours about poker...think its best i stop now.

www.partypoker.com

www.pokerstars.com

Not only can u play for 'play' money you can add your buddys Usernames and all join the same table

Usually you will start with $1000 play chips and when they run out you can top up 3times in an hour then you must wait an hour to get topped up again (thats for novices tho) as on my second top up i won $80,0000 and since than have built up quite a pot

Pity its bloody play money tho eh

• 1 month later...

Okay, since the last message, I'm now playing with real money. I'm up $5 from an inital $10 deposit, so things aren't going too badly at all. I've been playing on microlimit tables and having success by simply playing a lot tighter than most players. Managed to take a fair bit off one guy who was calling everything in sight, despite having crap cards most of the time.

I'm thinking about trying a tournament or two now.

I'm thinking about trying a tournament or two now.

Getting a bit ahead of yourself' date=' no? I wouldn't go near them until you're at least competent on no-limits tables first, the style of play is a different discipline - the idea is mainly the same (ie. playing quite tight, but with variation on pre flop betting), but [b']most people will used controlled aggression, instead of poxy limit tables where you can afford to be more gung-ho.

Additionally, you can get away with quite a few mistakes playing limit (less chance of people throwing 'ALL IN' at you) - on no-limit tables, you'll do well not to be fatally punished by one error. Having said that, I once dived all in with 10s8h against a AsAd, and flopped a full house, the cunt upstairs was smiling on me that night........

Still sure?

Getting a bit ahead of yourself' date=' no? I wouldn't go near them until you're at least competent on no-limits tables first, the style of play is a different discipline - the idea is mainly the same (ie. playing quite tight, but with variation on pre flop betting), but [b']most people will used controlled aggression, instead of poxy limit tables where you can afford to be more gung-ho.

Additionally, you can get away with quite a few mistakes playing limit (less chance of people throwing 'ALL IN' at you) - on no-limit tables, you'll do well not to be fatally punished by one error. Having said that, I once dived all in with 10s8h against a AsAd, and flopped a full house, the cunt upstairs was smiling on me that night........

Still sure?

I found a site called Royal Vegas Poker that gives you $10 free when you sign up, so I'm not gambling anything *as such*, though it is real money.

Well...you don't even want to know what happened with the first tournament. I got KK, and thought "woo, this is good"...a pair of eights came with the flop, so all was going well. Until I made a nice mistake by going all in when this cunt did, and he had a sodding full house :(

The reason I'm playing tournaments really is just to get a feel of things, if it was money out of my pocket, I'd be more worried, but it's not soooo.

29th out of 30 was quite embarrassing though :down:

I really should give no limit a try, but the only experience so far ended in being punished, so...let's have some fun with tournaments and be punished even more ;)

(so far, i'm 19th out of 28 left in this second tournament)

I got KK' date=' and thought "woo, this is good"...a pair of eights came with the flop, so all was going well. Until I made a nice mistake by going all in when this cunt did, and he had a sodding full house[/quote']

Don't kick yourself too hard about that, that's a very difficult hand to put down for most folk. I would however have thought that going all in did smack that he would have hit at least three of a kind on the flop, and betting on full house draw for you would have likely split the pot at best......

Chin up, the worst bit is the very first time you throw £20 of your own cash in and it goes down the shitter with a bad beat or two!

Don't kick yourself too hard about that' date=' that's a very difficult hand to put down for most folk. I would however have thought that he went all in did, it did smack that he would have had at least three of a kind on the flop, and betting on full house draw for you would have likely split the pot at best......

Chin up, the worst bit is the very first time you throw £20 of your own cash in and it goes down the shitter with a bad beat or two![/quote']

:laughing:

It's going well in this other tournament, I've had rubbish hands so far and everyone is just knocking themselves out in the process. I did have a crap moment when I folded on the pre-flop, only to see a potential full house slip away...but it looks like I'm just going to keep folding until I see something I like, just to be able to say that I finished a bit higher than last time.

I understand what people mean by "loose" players now though.

edit : out again, 20th out of 30, I'm learning a hell of a lot here about caution :)

I didn't have much choice here though, I was pretty much last in number of chips, so I had to do something sooner rather than later and luck just didn't come my way. Unfortunate, but fun :)

I understand what people mean by "loose" players now though.

I always prefer to pick loose players off first, for whilst they may have a tendency to throw their hat in the ring with any old bag o' shite, there's always a doubt that you might call them when they catch a good hand. That terrifies the living shit out of me.

Incidentally, does anyone else know which hand is best for cracking two bullets? There's a couple of theories on it, anyone else's would be appreciated.....

I'm gutted.

Won with two pair to stay reasonably well in a tournament, then was faced with a situation where going all in with AA made perfect sense. And then the turn and river completely fucked it all up for me :( If I'd nailed two hands in a row, I would've been in a pretty damn good place...so yes, I'm gutted.